Chesterfield thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Monsieur Abeille

Re: Chesterfield thread

PBBee wrote:I walked out after the 2nd goal as I knew my rightful place was in the pub. Maybe we were ok after that but once again too little to late.
Then more fool you
kingpinfid

The main site article is a bit OTT.

"Bees are heroes."

We draw a game at home, after one home win in god knows how many and suddenly the players are heroes! A bit of perspective please!
Tuesds

"Marshall was totally useless again"

Marshall was excellent in the first half. He terrorised their right back with his pace and willingness to run with the ball, beating him several times and putting in several decent crosses. He was also chasing lost causes, as usual, and was the only thing about the supposed 'front 3' formation in the first half which functioned at all. He seemed to fade somewhat in the second half, and his corners were appalling, but I really do find the above comment utterly incredible.
DerekRocholl

A nice surprise to see Kabba starting, I personally think he makes a big difference.

Totally agree. It would be interesting to see how we have done with Kabba in the side compared to how we have done when he isn't. Without seeing the stats I guess we could have been mid table if he hadn't been absent on so many occasions. He looked by far the best signing we have made in the past year shame he has been injured so much.
barnetpete

I have read through this thread and been amazed at some of the critical comments. Did we not get a point having been 2 down against the run away league leaders? Chesterfield are a bl**dy good side, and yet when 2 down we battled back to get a point where as earlier in the season we lost games like that by 4, 5 or even 7 goals.

Chesterfield are not top because they are average, they are a good side who we managed to look average. We gambled with 4 upfront, something that wouldn't happen a week ago. At times there was no shape, at times players seemed to be all over the place, but they never gave up and their hard work paid off.

We wont play pretty football for the next few weeks - can't understand people expecting it!
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
John_Carp1

The madness of crowds is back. We drew at home against the best team in the division. Yes we played quite well in the second half, but it shows how marginal a game can be in terms of events for crowds to go into a hyperbolic fit. If Craig Davies hadn't missed an easy one on one with 10 minutes to go, half the crowd would have walked out and we would have been relegated. If the referee hadn't inexplicably put up 7 minutes of injury time on the board, we might have lost. If Tommy Lee hadn't inexplicably let in an unbelievable howler after what was, basically, a rubbish cross, none of this 'heroes' nonsense would have been echoed.

We've been battling hard since PF came back in January, the team simply lacked ability and experience. On Saturday evening we tried hard, should have probably lost, but got lucky. If we had put in that performance and result under PF, hardly anyone would have been uttering the hysterics I have heard since. Strange. Ironically we had a decent away record under PF, and now Saturday's away game makes or breaks our season.
Tony Kleanthous has not asked you your opinion on The Hive. This is because he doesn't care about your opinion. I think your opinion should matter.

Tony Kleanthous OUT.
jerroll

The 7 minutes were justified , Tommy Lee was taking at least 30 seconds over every goalkick, Jamil took a minute to walk off when subbed, there was the brawl & several substitutions.
lfolfo

yep, injury time was fair enough, the 'fight' was at least 3 mins and there were other delays. Just nice to actually see it get played

I thought we played ok and presumably caught Chesterfield on a bad day as they were generally pretty solid if unspectacular, they didn't exactly over run us though they were far sharper going forward when they did.

As usual, we cannot dominate sides from the midfield and lack a final ball and as usual we concede simple goals from any remotely clever pass. These aren't new problems so it was nice to see us going route 1 later on which was more productive.

We are strong favourites to go down, there is no doubt and looking at Burton's fixtures I can easily see them getting the average point a game they'll need. However, if Burton lose this week (unlikely) and we win at Burton (probably about 33/33/33 chance for each result) then we will become merely 'favourites'. All seems too late but hopefully it will at least be interesting and we'll get some good performances from some individuals to take into next year.
Bee_Forever

At the moment, I do not think we are doomed. The spirit drive and energy on display on Saturday were very impressive, however the same problems with a weak (Jarvis and Fraser) midfield, and a misfiring strikeforce, and a hapless defence (esp Kamdjo and Parkes) persist. Guts and determination will get you so far, beyond that point you need to be good enough. Allen will do his absolute best to keep us in this league, but it is the 11 men on the pitch who will ultimately determine our fate.

It was a shame that Pulis was injured in the warm up as I think that our defence would look quite solid with a centre back pairing of Stirling and Devera, with Pulis in front. Hopefully one of the other defensive midfielders will also step up this week to take the pressure off of Allen.
jerroll

The problem we have now is the goalkeeping injury as we can only use 4 outfield loan players when we really need to use more of them. if we play one of the loan fullbacks either Byrne or Midson will have to miss out which limits our attacking options. In an ideal world O'brien would be fit enough to play at Burton which would allow either of the loan fullbacks to start.
Bee_Forever

I agree, the only reason Byrne made the bench was because one of the other loan players got injured!!
Spitfirebee

I haven't read all of the previous comments.
But can we find someone to take a decent corner!?
Corners should be a threat, particularly as we had at least 4 'big men' in the box but neither Marshall or Deering could beat the first man. pretty poor.
Bee_Forever

Jordan Parkes?
Frods

John_Carp1 wrote:The madness of crowds is back. We drew at home against the best team in the division. Yes we played quite well in the second half, but it shows how marginal a game can be in terms of events for crowds to go into a hyperbolic fit. If Craig Davies hadn't missed an easy one on one with 10 minutes to go, half the crowd would have walked out and we would have been relegated. If the referee hadn't inexplicably put up 7 minutes of injury time on the board, we might have lost. If Tommy Lee hadn't inexplicably let in an unbelievable howler after what was, basically, a rubbish cross, none of this 'heroes' nonsense would have been echoed.

We've been battling hard since PF came back in January, the team simply lacked ability and experience. On Saturday evening we tried hard, should have probably lost, but got lucky. If we had put in that performance and result under PF, hardly anyone would have been uttering the hysterics I have heard since. Strange. Ironically we had a decent away record under PF, and now Saturday's away game makes or breaks our season.
Totally agree. The seven minutes was ridiculous, but with the equaliser coming three and a quarter minutes into injury time we'd have more than likely got it anyway.
becbee

The 7 minutes injury time was accurate if you take into account the time lost for the melee, plus 30 seconds added on for each sub ( 4 subs during the half = 2 mins) plus bits of time wasting by Chesterfield. It's just that the refs never ever do add on actual time for time wasting and subs like they're supposed to so. If all refs acted like Mr Miller we'd get used to the idea that every match had 7 or 8 minutes 2nd half injury time instead of the usual 3-4 minutes.