Entertainment

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Entertainment

Postby Golf Delta » 09 Mar 2011, 14:51

I can't speak for everyone, but all I look for on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday night is some entertainment, value for money and just having that feel good feeling again after a win. Does it really matter if it's against Forest Green, Hayes & Yeading, Mansfield and the rest or against Cheltenham, Lincoln or Bradford?

The last two seasons we had in the Conference were probably the most enjoyable we've had in the last 8 years, plenty of wins and enjoyable away trips, so what does it matter what league we are in or who we're playing? Surely all that matters is that we get entertained - this is an entertainment business after all, where we have a choice whether to attend or not, it's not school or work.

You don't pay your money to go to the cinema to watch a rubbish film out of duty, you only go when you want to be entertained. Football should be like that too, you don't go because you have to or feel a sense of duty to the club, you go for you own personal pleasure, no-one forces you to go and no-one should be made to feel they have to go because 'the club needs you and it is your duty to support the club no matter what'.

The chairman and the rest of the club obviously hold a different perspective to relegation, after all, it is their business, their livelihood. But as a fan, it isn't the same for us. We are paying customers who have a choice at the end of the day whether to attend or not. I'm quite looking forward to next season already after the inevitable happens, looking forward to beating Kettering, or Bath or Grimsby much more than losing to Stevenage, Gillingham or Crewe again.

Crowds will only improve once results improve and if that means starting over again in the BSP, then so be it. Relegation isn't the end of the world for a fan, it may be for TK and the clubs employees, but for us, the paying customer, it is something to look forward to, afternoons of happiness at winning again have got to be so much more entertaining than week after week of defeat. I'm not saying we're going to win every game in the BSP but surely it's got to be more rewarding that anything the club has been able to offer us in the last 6 years of complete and utter misery interspersed with the occasional win or away draw.
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.
Golf Delta

Re: Entertainment

Postby barnetpete » 09 Mar 2011, 15:01

You're not far off from a post I was intending to write. What I will add, which was the gist of my post is that the club is lacking a personality.

TK, for all his assets and faults is not a personality, and to be fair I don't like the Chairman to be a personality, most I can name, such as Fat Stan, Risdale, Glazier etc (apart from being on the porky side) tend to be bad for the football clubs they are involved in.

That then relies on the Manager and players, PF is not a personality as such, but within the conference winning team there were a number, Mark Stimson was not and none of the players he put together in this squad are. There is no obvious personality at the club for the fans to engage with, to make outragious comments, to wind up opposition fans or even to entertain us with their football...all the things we like as supporters and draws us into the club and makes us turn up.

The next manager needs to have a big personality in my opinion, someone who the fans can relate to, gives the appearance that they give a dam so that the fans feel the players and the club do care and then we can all go on a journey together each season (be it good or bad), rather than the stale state of this football club at the moment.
Do you shop on Amazon? Please consider donating, at no extra cost to yourself, to help Children & Young People in Barnet, via https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ch/1164713-0, Amazon will donate to Young Barnet Foundation with every purchase.
barnetpete

Postby lfolfo » 09 Mar 2011, 15:41

bournemouthbee wrote:
The next manager needs to have a big personality in my opinion, someone who the fans can relate to, gives the appearance that they give a dam so that the fans feel the players and the club do care and then we can all go on a journey together each season (be it good or bad), rather than the stale state of this football club at the moment.

So Martin Allen will come back?

I’m not entirely sure about the personality issue but certainly agree that a worst case scenario for next year would be mid-table, better than we’ve managed for years. I’d personally like a ‘Barnet’ man to be employed and am not even against the idea of Fairclough being given a chance to repeat the magic (though I know most fans won’t). We could though, afford to take a gamble on a hungry young manager like we did with Allen and Hendon (and Cottee), as we shouldn’t be worrying about relegation again whoever we appoint.
lfolfo

Postby becbee » 09 Mar 2011, 15:50

Agree entirely with Golf Delta. It could be fun next season visiting new grounds and seeing us win/ draw as opposed to the same old L2 grounds where we usually lose.

As for Bournemouthbee's idea about the manager having a personality though -the favourites for promotion from the Conference are 2 from Crawley, AFC Wimbledon and Luton. Only 1 of those 3 clubs has a manager with a "bIg personality" but I'd not want him anywhere near our club. The other two are boring men with no obvious personality. I'd have said PF has more likeable personality than those 3 put together.
becbee

Postby barnetpete » 09 Mar 2011, 16:32

As said elsewhere, my view for next seasons management team, especially if relegated is Dave Howell and Ken Charlery....both ex-bees. coaching experience in the league aswell as non league, lots of contacts in league and non league, pedegree of unearthing talent that they have sold on, the football their sides play is good and exciting....and have personalities that would be good for the club.
Do you shop on Amazon? Please consider donating, at no extra cost to yourself, to help Children & Young People in Barnet, via https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ch/1164713-0, Amazon will donate to Young Barnet Foundation with every purchase.
barnetpete

Postby kingoffootball » 09 Mar 2011, 16:36

Really good thread with a lot of points to address.

1. Golf Delta makes a great point. I loved our last conference experience. Not just for the promotion season, but I believe there's a better atmosphere at a lot of the grounds. Whether this is decreasing as "professionalism" spreads down the leagues I guess I'll find out next year. What it again highlights for me is that 90% of football's problems are caused by money. The reason relegation will be such a blow to us and why we've been living in such fear of it the past few seasons is the financial effect on the club of going out of the league.

2. I do feel the club/squad lacks some personality. I agree that this is partially down to the personnel, but I also feel a big part of it is the turnover rate. Obviously some people come into the squad and have big personalities that have an instant impact, but other players grow over time and their effect on the club is provided by their history. History is such an important part of football and something clubs can't buy and the fact we have to constantly rebuild our squad every summer and don't have anyone other than Devera who's actually been at the club any length of time certainly reduces the overall squad personality.

3. Personally, I would be in favour of Fairclough reverting to his actual role at the end of the season (or even before if possible, to give the incoming manager a chance to run the rule over the current squad) and I would very much like to see a young manager come in and be given time in the Conference, where hopefully there won't be the immediate pressure of relegation. Someone with Barnet links would definitely be a bonus - I was hoping mid-season we might have a chance of luring Dougie, but Palace gave him the opportunity before we could.

So yes, next season could be positive, especially if we can find a way to keep the youth setup and develop our own players to come through into the team. I know Vilhete has come in for some stick for his recent performances, but from what I've seen he's technically brilliant and I believe he and other players from the youth team could really excell at that level, far more than they would ever be able to constantly battling to stave of relegation in League 2.
Three-time Conference champions
kingoffootball

Postby Sam_BFC » 09 Mar 2011, 16:58

Some good points here, but I'm not really sure about this assertion that playing the likes of Hayes, Forest Green and so on guarantees us more wins...yes the last two recent Conference seasons were really good, but to be honest the two before had their moments of despair...1-4 at home to Gravesend (now Ebbsfleet), 0-3 at home to Farnborough...I am just uneasy about this assumption that we can 'look forward to beating Kettering' etc just because we are a league lower.

By the same token it is important to note that not all of the recent six years have been absolute shite if we consider the cup runs and so on.

I suppose what I am getting at is that I want the team to win as many games as possible also at the highest level possible and I don't feel that things are suddenly going to become easy just because we are in the Conference and if we were to stay up (unlikely) there is no reason why the situation could not be turned around...relegation could just be the start of even deeper rot setting in...let us hope not.
Sam_BFC

Postby Golf Delta » 09 Mar 2011, 17:12

Good points Sam. Just wanted to add that mine are not assumptions, not taking anything for granted, but I'm just hoping that being at a lower level might at least bring about a few more wins than we have been used to and that in turn will bring back the feel good factor that has been drained from the club since our return to the league.
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.
Golf Delta

Postby Mikel Bee » 09 Mar 2011, 17:24

I agree Sam. It's easy to drop a division and assume you will automatically become one of the big fish. I bet last summer Stockport were thinking "oh well, at least we should be strong contenders for the League 2 play offs". The BSP has a lot more bigger clubs than when we were last down there and is by no means the part time league it once was. With our crowds and income we will be an average sized club at best.
Mikel Bee

Postby bucks bee » 09 Mar 2011, 18:53

If Crawley Town and AFC Wimbledon are the two teams promoted, this means that as many as 13 of the 22 clubs in next season's Conference Premier could at some point in their existence have enjoyed Football League status (albeit some time ago, in the case of Gateshead, Barrow, Newport County and Southport).
bucks bee

Postby becbee » 09 Mar 2011, 19:03

Could be 14 if Boston are promoted from Conference North - they are currently in a place off place.
becbee

Postby rudebwoyben1 » 09 Mar 2011, 22:17

There are 24 clubs in the Blue Square Premier, don't forget!
rudebwoyben1

Postby kingpinfid » 09 Mar 2011, 22:17

I don't entirely agree with the suggestion that the Conference is stronger than ever.

It's easy to forget that the 2004/05 Conference included Hereford, Carlisle, Dagenham & Redbridge and Exeter - who were all promoted to League Two after us and who all subsequently made it into League One for at least one season. Plus the 2004/05 Conference also included Aldershot, Stevenage, Accrington, Morecambe and Burton - again who were all promoted to League Two after us.

To state the obvious, that's nine teams we were much better than in 2004/05. But now all nine teams are much better than us!
kingpinfid

Postby Phil The Force » 09 Mar 2011, 22:21

To state the obvious, that's nine teams we were much better than in 2004/05. But now all nine teams are much better than us!

That makes it even more annoying that we haven't pushed on since promotion and just stagnated for the last few years.
Phil The Force

Postby hobbitbee » 09 Mar 2011, 22:51

Postby Sam_BFC » 09 Mar 2011, 16:58
Some good points here, but I'm not really sure about this assertion that playing the likes of Hayes, Forest Green and so on guarantees us more wins...yes the last two recent Conference seasons were really good, but to be honest the two before had their moments of despair...1-4 at home to Gravesend (now Ebbsfleet), 0-3 at home to Farnborough...I am just uneasy about this assumption that we can 'look forward to beating Kettering' etc just because we are a league lower.

Yes we lost some games in those first two seasons in the Conference, but don't forget that in 2001/02, we finished in 5th place, which nowadays would put you in the play-offs. Would anyone grumble if we were offered that next season if we are in the Blue Square Premier? We also were able to watch some very good players at Barnet such as Mark Gower, Junior Agogo, John Doolan, Greg Heald, Mark Arber and even Wayne Purser until he broke his leg at the end of the first season. God I'm not sure that even Midgeley and Fraser Toms weren't better than a few of our squad players. Actually thinking about it I'd rather have Frazer than Taylor and Tommy Fraser (such an ironic name). I certainly don't want us to go down and it hasn't all been bad since we came up, parts of seasons have been ok, but I don't think it would be so very bad either.
hobbitbee

Next

Return to General Barnet Chat