EFL Petition

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

EFL Petition

Postby Josh SKywalker » 07 Oct 2020, 10:27

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... tures.html

Anyone seen this?

Apart from PL clubs helping out (which I don't agree with), can the clubs not just start streaming games on a PPV basis to generate SOME income? Or are the EFL clubs locked into a contract with Sky?

I don't agree that letting fans in at the moment is a good idea, especially considering some areas of the country are affectively in a lockdown.

Assume any decision on this would affect the National Leagues also.
Josh SKywalker

Re: EFL Petition

Postby MCB » 07 Oct 2020, 10:59

Josh SKywalker wrote:
I don't agree that letting fans in at the moment is a good idea, especially considering some areas of the country are effectively in a lockdown.

If you don't agree with letting fans in is a good idea, then I assume you don't agree lets pubs open, restaurants open, cinemas open, schools, workplaces etc is a good idea?

There are some major issues that seem to be overlooked:

1 - It's not compulsory to attend. No-one would force you to come to The Hive. You are responsible for your own actions
2 - The government has forced NL clubs to spend a fortune on making their grounds covid secure, which at The Hive you would imagine is as Covid Secure as it can get. Pre-booking specific seats via Season Tickets and providing a 2 metre bubble outside is very risk free
3 - The government has opened FAR less covid secure places of work and encouraged people to fo there (again, pubs, cinemas etc)
4 - In a massive hypocritical act the government has opened cinemas and pubs inside so people can watch football...
5 - Attending football matches is an incredible country wide act of community support and ridiculously important for people's mental health, especially in family bubbles
6 - Vast amount of employment at risk now with so little income
7 - And if you are in a 'at risk' group, see 1. I'm not at risk, but there are certain activities the govt 'encourages' or pubs I do avoid. Attending The Hive I know should be very secure. I'd arrive early, avoid the bars at Half Time etc. Wouldn't expect to get within 2 metres of anyone.
MCB

Postby Josh SKywalker » 07 Oct 2020, 11:20

MCB wrote:
Josh SKywalker wrote:
I don't agree that letting fans in at the moment is a good idea, especially considering some areas of the country are effectively in a lockdown.

If you don't agree with letting fans in is a good idea, then I assume you don't agree lets pubs open, restaurants open, cinemas open, schools, workplaces etc is a good idea?

1 - It's not compulsory to attend. No-one would force you to come to The Hive. You are responsible for your own actions
2 - The government has forced NL clubs to spend a fortune on making their grounds covid secure, which at The Hive you would imagine is as Covid Secure as it can get. Pre-booking specific seats via Season Tickets and providing a 2 metre bubble outside is very risk free
3 - The government has opened FAR less covid secure places of work and encouraged people to fo there (again, pubs, cinemas etc)
4 - In a massive hypocritical act the government has opened cinemas and pubs inside so people can watch football...
5 - Attending football matches is an incredible country wide act of community support and ridiculously important for people's mental health, especially in family bubbles
7 - And if you are in a 'at risk' group, see 1. I'm not at risk, but there are certain activities the govt 'encourages' or pubs I do avoid. Attending The Hive I know should be very secure. I'd arrive early, avoid the bars at Half Time etc. Wouldn't expect to get within 2 metres of anyone.

Literally agree with none of that apart from 6, which is accurate. 1. being responsible for your own actions isn't the problem, if we were all "responsible" then the country wouldn't be in the current predicament.

If you can watch all Barnet games online at the moment, it's a reasonable sacrifice to make to not be in the stadiums …I think fans up and down the country would agree, though not ideal it will give clubs some revenue.

Government is doing the correct thing at the moment if they believe the threat is large and very serious, timing isn't good from the EFL.

Your original question might of been rhetorical but I don't believe in open places where it can give idiots the chance to be idiots.
Josh SKywalker

Postby Modernist » 07 Oct 2020, 11:21

[/quote]

7 - And if you are in a 'at risk' group, see 1. I'm not at risk, but there are certain activities the govt 'encourages' or pubs I do avoid. Attending The Hive I know should be very secure. I'd arrive early, avoid the bars at Half Time etc. Wouldn't expect to get within 2 metres of anyone.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. I think Dorking Wanderers put together the petition. Only 4,000 when I signed yesterday so great to see parliamentary debate now ensured. What ever your views, I do not think anyone can think football is being dealt with consistently with other parts of the entertainment sector.
Modernist

Postby MCB » 07 Oct 2020, 11:25

Josh SKywalker wrote:

Literally agree with none of that apart from 6, which is accurate. 1.

Utterly fascinated as to how you can disagree with many of those. Go on, do tell, it's good to hear another point of view.

The opposite of 1 is being forced to attend Barnet games for example?
MCB

Postby becbee » 07 Oct 2020, 11:43

I wonder why Josh SKywalker brought this petition to our attention seeing as the likely outcome would be that some of those who were previously unaware of it will now sign it?

MCB has listed the points in support in very full and accurate detail. Thank you MCB.

I could wonder whether Josh normally watches live matches if he truly thinks the streaming is an acceptable alternative. Maybe he thinks a camera system which doesn't even show every goal is ok?
Worse though is his dismissal of the mental health issue. That is pretty dreadful.
becbee

Postby Roy57 » 07 Oct 2020, 12:06

MCB wrote:
Josh SKywalker wrote:

Spot on MCB. Great points and extremely well put and the views of most of who support football and lower leagues Inc national league and below that are struggling to survive.
Roy57

Postby shankbee01 » 07 Oct 2020, 12:15

Intrigued as to how the Hive with the Covid measures in place isn’t safer than a pub or cinema.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shankbee01

Postby shankbee01 » 07 Oct 2020, 12:16

shankbee01 wrote:Intrigued as to how the Hive with the Covid measures in place isn’t safer than a pub or cinema.

Maybe safer should be replaced with less of a Covid risk.

shankbee01

Postby Josh SKywalker » 07 Oct 2020, 13:54

MCB, I also like an open and honest discussion.

1) I don’t agree because whoever suggested someone WOULD force you to watch football? It a random point and doesn’t relate to
anything that’s been going on.
2) You cannot make a football stadium covid secure, just like you can’t make a pub or a restaurant covid secure…the problem with
covid is PEOPLE if PEOPLE followed the rules the stadiums would be open.
3) I didn’t find relevant as it’s not related to football stadiums, as you’re well aware staging a crowd at a football match is
completely different from opening a pub or a cinema…even if it is at a small club like Barnet.
4) Same as 3, but FYI music or entertainment shouldn’t be allowed in pubs/bars in my opinion.
5) We can’t open stadiums just because of mental health or good community feel, if you have mental health issues I’d imagine
watching live football can help some and there is another thread proving you can go out and watch local matches.
6) I agree with, people will lose their jobs and it’s unfortunate…but that’s just the way it is, I lost my job then I got another one.
7) See 2, it’s the idiots that spoil it for everyone else...which sums up the country right now.

The point of the link was to spitball the idea of VOD to be honest, levels 1-6 will not open the doors anytime soon and the government need to find some ideas to support clubs with regular income.
If I could watch every game during the pandemic for a set price, dodgy camera angle/bad connection or not…then I’d absolutely be willing to watch and I honestly think a lot of fans from Championship down to NL would agree.
Josh SKywalker

Postby Josh SKywalker » 07 Oct 2020, 13:59

becbee wrote:I wonder why Josh SKywalker brought this petition to our attention seeing as the likely outcome would be that some of those who were previously unaware of it will now sign it?

MCB has listed the points in support in very full and accurate detail. Thank you MCB.

I could wonder whether Josh normally watches live matches if he truly thinks the streaming is an acceptable alternative. Maybe he thinks a camera system which doesn't even show every goal is ok?
Worse though is his dismissal of the mental health issue. That is pretty dreadful.

Watch them on my TV funnily enough...sometimes I watch them on a small screen on my phone via "Live Scores", bit of a personal question...I barely know you.

I enjoyed your joke about me dismissing mental health issues, well played.
Josh SKywalker

Postby Cheerthefuckup » 07 Oct 2020, 14:43

I am Football fan and a Barnet fan for the last 40 years. I would love to go to the hive or any of our away games and watch us play live but I'm also realistic and believe that fans, at this moment, should not be allowed into stadiums. Yes clubs are losing money and some may well go out of business but there are many other industries that are in the same boat. The music industry is on its knees and that is another of my passions, seeing bands live. Why should football get any more support from the government than music venues and theatres. Unfortunately, the way things are right now, maybe we should be looking at closing pubs and restaurants down for a while rather than opening up other areas.
Cheerthefuckup

Postby Norfolk & Chance » 07 Oct 2020, 16:05

Weird how this fairly interesting innocuous opening post desended into unpleasantness so quickly.
It was a good question.
If the EFL sees it working well in the NL, would they actually be interested in following suit?
And I wonder if they are locked into contracts etc that would preclude them?
Anyway, back to the nasty comments.
Norfolk & Chance

Postby alexbach » 07 Oct 2020, 16:18

Family bubble I'm not allowed in Swansea cos of their lockdown nor CardiffImage

Sent from my 5033X using Tapatalk
alexbach

Postby alexbach » 07 Oct 2020, 19:03

Seriously there are other local lockdowns in England too so I would be wary of attending games

Sent from my 5033X using Tapatalk
alexbach

Next

Return to General Barnet Chat