New Players

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Re: New Players

Postby BeeArmy » 07 Oct 2020, 07:12

becbee wrote:In his post match interview last night Peter Beadle said "Micky" would be in the squad for Saturday's match at Notts Co.

Petrasso
BeeArmy

Postby Roy57 » 09 Oct 2020, 22:06

becbee wrote:In his post match interview last night Peter Beadle said "Micky" would be in the squad for Saturday's match at Notts Co.

Read that quite from PB. But latest interview for post match for Notts county game PB stated
Petrasso was in Canada when he spoke to him after receiving call from his agent. And said he looked into his career and read reports at how highly rated he was at QPR. This was in 2014 to 2018 were he was sent out on loan to around 4 different clubs. Like many i assumed he had been over and had trained with us as put this down to manager saying he would be in squad for Sat game. He is only in isolation for 5 days as Canada is not on list of country's that require longer issolation. But concerned when PB said he had kepted himself very fit but not been in grass for quite some time. So it could be quite awhile before we actually do see him even in the squad. Strange two varried quotes from manager.
Roy57

Postby ETBee » 09 Oct 2020, 22:26

Maybe York9 will be paying his wages. Otherwise it's a huge risk taking him on without seeing him play.
ETBee

Postby pletch99 » 10 Oct 2020, 07:40

It is a gamble, but it is one that could pay off. Whether we are paying some or all of his wages, if media reports are correct our budget (at the lower end of what has been speculated) and budgets in the Canadian Premier league are on a par i.e. the loan is probably affordable within a tight budget. It is difficult to to judge the comparitive standards of leagues in North America. As someone who watches a lot of MLS there is quite a lot of argument about the standard of MLS but it is clearly well above National League so I am encouraged that he was getting game time in MLS, particularly as he was by all accounts being played out of position. It's not a guaruntee of quality as the standard of player in MLS varies. In a typical 24 man squad you will find the odd world class talent, a couple of Premeier league standard players, a broad spread of players who would do OK in the championship plus a range fringe players some of whom frankly would struggle to get a game in the NL.

The standard of CPL is clearly well below that of MLS and probably slightly lower that the US second tier USL. At this level the standard of player is also pretty variable but there are plenty of players playing at this level who could do a job for us. For example Keanu Marsh Brown is a regular starter for Memphis 901, but isn't really up rooting any trees. Whether you loved him or thought he was a lazy self centred %^&%* I think we can agree that he was good enough to do a reasonable job as a winger in the NL. Equally we have had other players from the USL who have just disappeared - we had a winger from Tampa Bay a few years back whose name escapes me, who played a lot of games for the Rowdies but managed just a few forgetable minutes as a substitute for us.

While this is clearly a massive gamble that could backfire badly, this move does have the potential to really pay off - he has the potential to work out to be a much better option than taken for example an unknown and completely unproven youngster from a Premier league club who would also come with a much larger wage attached. There may be quality youngsters to be had from the Premier League loans but I wonder how many of them are available for free or for only a small proportion of their normal wage?

The lack of football is a worry, but it is going to an issue with most available players - who at best will have been training elsewhere in the hopes of getting a deal or perhaps played a few friendlies as a trialist.
pletch99

Postby Anthony » 10 Oct 2020, 08:11

pletch99 wrote:It is a gamble, but it is one that could pay off. Whether we are paying some or all of his wages, if media reports are correct our budget (at the lower end of what has been speculated) and budgets in the Canadian Premier league are on a par i.e. the loan is probably affordable within a tight budget. It is difficult to to judge the comparitive standards of leagues in North America. As someone who watches a lot of MLS there is quite a lot of argument about the standard of MLS but it is clearly well above National League so I am encouraged that he was getting game time in MLS, particularly as he was by all accounts being played out of position. It's not a guaruntee of quality as the standard of player in MLS varies. In a typical 24 man squad you will find the odd world class talent, a couple of Premeier league standard players, a broad spread of players who would do OK in the championship plus a range fringe players some of whom frankly would struggle to get a game in the NL.

The standard of CPL is clearly well below that of MLS and probably slightly lower that the US second tier USL. At this level the standard of player is also pretty variable but there are plenty of players playing at this level who could do a job for us. For example Keanu Marsh Brown is a regular starter for Memphis 901, but isn't really up rooting any trees. Whether you loved him or thought he was a lazy self centred %^&%* I think we can agree that he was good enough to do a reasonable job as a winger in the NL. Equally we have had other players from the USL who have just disappeared - we had a winger from Tampa Bay a few years back whose name escapes me, who played a lot of games for the Rowdies but managed just a few forgetable minutes as a substitute for us.

While this is clearly a massive gamble that could backfire badly, this move does have the potential to really pay off - he has the potential to work out to be a much better option than taken for example an unknown and completely unproven youngster from a Premier league club who would also come with a much larger wage attached. There may be quality youngsters to be had from the Premier League loans but I wonder how many of them are available for free or for only a small proportion of their normal wage?

The lack of football is a worry, but it is going to an issue with most available players - who at best will have been training elsewhere in the hopes of getting a deal or perhaps played a few friendlies as a trialist.

Kwame Adjeman Pamboe? (Alternative spellings available, and possibly more correct). We made so many odd signings around that period.
Anthony

Postby Modernist » 10 Oct 2020, 08:43

I picked up on PB's comment as well, but I do not think this loan move is such a gamble, beyond what any loan move could be. I think it's been established that Petrasso was playing competitively in September time? Possibly needs to gain more fitness hence the move. I would imagine he comes well recommended by those who think he can perform at our level. Seems to have impressed UK fans in the past. Really hopeful we have bagged a winner here.
Modernist

Postby Tuesds » 10 Oct 2020, 09:29

He’s a full Canadian international (albeit he didn’t play for them in the position were likely to use him in), he knows English football, he’s played competitive football in the last month or so, he’s only on loan (so if injury problems surface he’ll no doubt go back)... so while there might be some risk involved we’ve certainly made riskier signings! And in the position we’re in sometimes you’ve got to take a bit of a punt on a player.

If the stat in the below tweet is correct, it’s encouraging. Like the idea of a winger who gets plenty of shots on goal. Mason-Clark on one side and a similarly direct winger on the other could be an exciting prospect. I like the clip, too, even if none of the shots actually find the target!

[tweet] https://twitter.com/martythompson_/stat ... 80673?s=21[/tweet]
Tuesds

Postby becbee » 10 Oct 2020, 10:00

Anthony wrote:
pletch99 wrote:It is a gamble, but it is one that could pay off. Whether we are paying some or all of his wages, if media reports are correct our budget (at the lower end of what has been speculated) and budgets in the Canadian Premier league are on a par i.e. the loan is probably affordable within a tight budget. It is difficult to to judge the comparitive standards of leagues in North America. As someone who watches a lot of MLS there is quite a lot of argument about the standard of MLS but it is clearly well above National League so I am encouraged that he was getting game time in MLS, particularly as he was by all accounts being played out of position. It's not a guaruntee of quality as the standard of player in MLS varies. In a typical 24 man squad you will find the odd world class talent, a couple of Premeier league standard players, a broad spread of players who would do OK in the championship plus a range fringe players some of whom frankly would struggle to get a game in the NL.

Kwame Adjeman Pamboe? (Alternative spellings available, and possibly more correct). We made so many odd signings around that period.

I'm amazed / impressed that you both remember someone whose only appearance was as an injury time sub in a match over 9 years ago!
becbee

Postby JWTBee » 10 Oct 2020, 11:17

Tuesds wrote:He’s a full Canadian international (albeit he didn’t play for them in the position were likely to use him in), he knows English football, he’s played competitive football in the last month or so, he’s only on loan (so if injury problems surface he’ll no doubt go back)... so while there might be some risk involved we’ve certainly made riskier signings! And in the position we’re in sometimes you’ve got to take a bit of a punt on a player.

If the stat in the below tweet is correct, it’s encouraging. Like the idea of a winger who gets plenty of shots on goal. Mason-Clark on one side and a similarly direct winger on the other could be an exciting prospect. I like the clip, too, even if none of the shots actually find the target!

[tweet] https://twitter.com/martythompson_/stat ... 80673?s=21[/tweet]

From the video it certainly seems as though he likes to shoot! He appears to be a good attacking left sided player - just what we need! So fingers crossed! But where will Richards play? Maybe a more central role?
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
JWTBee

Postby Anthony » 10 Oct 2020, 13:03

becbee wrote:I'm amazed / impressed that you both remember someone whose only appearance was as an injury time sub in a match over 9 years ago!

Yet I can’t recall the name of the centre back we signed the other week to partner Ben Nugent even if my life depended on it! :laugh:
Anthony

Postby #Beebot » 10 Oct 2020, 13:05

One change - Duffus in for Richards, who I assume is injured.
#Beebot

Postby Roy57 » 15 Oct 2020, 20:46

I see Yeovil have signed Joe Quigley on a free transfer from Dagenham and Redbrudge. He is only 23 years old and last season at there place he gave our defence no end of problems. Huge up root for him to move down to Somerset. Especially if walker has injury issues and not sure how long he could or might be out for.
Roy57

Postby #Beebot » 15 Oct 2020, 20:52

Roy57 wrote:I see Yeovil have signed Joe Quigley on a free transfer from Dagenham and Redbrudge. He is only 23 years old and last season at there place he gave our defence no end of problems. Huge up root for him to move down to Somerset. Especially if walker has injury issues and not sure how long he could or might be out for.

He's terrible and has been a huge flop everywhere he's been.
#Beebot

Postby rudebwoyben » 15 Oct 2020, 21:48

Roy57 wrote:I see Yeovil have signed Joe Quigley on a free transfer from Dagenham and Redbrudge. He is only 23 years old and last season at there place he gave our defence no end of problems. Huge up root for him to move down to Somerset. Especially if walker has injury issues and not sure how long he could or might be out for.

Joe Quigley scores 1 goal in every 6 matches. There’s a reason why he’s already onto double figures in the number of clubs he’s played for at the age of 23. He’s a bit of a running joke on 1FF.
rudebwoyben

Postby Norfolk & Chance » 15 Oct 2020, 21:54

Wasn't Quigley down under at one point?
Norfolk & Chance

PreviousNext

Return to General Barnet Chat