Southend wants Currie

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
MCB

Re: Southend wants Currie

Southend can fro.
PBBee

They were linked with him before Sol Campbell.

I wouldn’t touch that job with a barge pole, however he does live in that neck of the woods & I know he’s not a fan of his current commute.
becbee

I will wait for a more reliable source than Teamtalk before I get worried. However, any manager would be an idiot to give up a secure ( as football management can ever be) job to join Southend. Article in their local paper mentions their " fragile finances, the late payment of players’ wages and a transfer embargo." Not to mention their regular trips to the High Court over the years.
So not even worth going for a pay rise, seeing as it might not even get paid, plus 4 managers in just over 2 seasons sacked for being unable to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Norfolk & Chance

I hope DC reads your post Becbee, just in case he does consider any offer.
hoppy

Bet Victor has odds for Southend's next Manager.
Favourite for the job at 2/1 is Adam Barrett.
Joint 2nd favourites at 8/1 Ian Culverhouse and Henrik Larrsson.
So where is Darren Currie in the betting?
Absobloodylutely NOWHERE!!

(PS A small wager on Gary Waddock at 20/1 might be worthwhile).
MCB

PBBee wrote: I wouldn’t touch that job with a barge pole, however he does live in that neck of the woods & I know he’s not a fan of his current commute.
Not being funny but if he lives 'that way' - how many league clubs are closer? Southend? Possibly Colchester (but the roads are horrible). then Arsenal and West Ham. As with his footballing career, if he does want to progress then he'll have to move or take the long commutes.

And post lockdown, sounds like he doesn't care about the journey (which will be much shorter!!) but is just happy to be back on the pitch!

There are lots of things for him to weigh up - he has a 6 month (?) rolling contract which most league clubs will buy him out of (Bolton just shelled out £250k for the Barrow manager), but really he is now at a club where a) he has the chance of play off glory b) and if not getting to the play offs is a success considering there is only 4-5 of his players on the pitch, and he'll be given carte blanche to create his own team at a club who's fans are absolutely behind him. And i've a feeling that post lockdown, a National League Barnet will have a better wage cap than most National League clubs....
rudebwoyben

Southend Utd are an ongoing basket case, they've been racking up more High Court summonses than wins and they've been trying to build a new stadium for the past 15 years.
Psycho

They couldn't afford him. As other posters have said, their finances aren't in a healthy state at the moment. Speculation will always follow successful managers and I am so grateful we have got not just a fantastic football manager, but an absolute gentleman as well.

Roots Hall is a dump. It's almost a non-league ground with the small stands. But it is the best seaside trip along with probably Bournemouth though.
rudebwoyben

Psycho wrote:They couldn't afford him. As other posters have said, their finances aren't in a healthy state at the moment. Speculation will always follow successful managers and I am so grateful we have got not just a fantastic football manager, but an absolute gentleman as well.

Roots Hall is a dump. It's almost a non-league ground with the small stands. But it is the best seaside trip along with probably Bournemouth though.
A league table of seaside football trips hmmm?
We could add Brighton, Portsmouth, Grimsby, Fleetwood, Blackpool and Morecambe to the list. I'd imagine that Grimsby would not get many votes!
Guiseleybee

Let’s face it, if we don’t get promoted the squad will be dismantled with budget cut considerably. It seems unlikely DC will stay next season unless we win these next 3 games. Couldn’t blame him either.
Josh SKywalker

Literally just saw this too, must of been Currie's agent posting these rumours.

I honestly can't see what Currie has done to link him with any club in League 2, let alone League 1 or the Championship, I realise he doesn't have a great squad but Currie is hardly a tactical mastermind or a trend setter for young managers.

If the season ended normally we wouldn't be in the top 7, the 3 games in hand and position in the league where a massive disadvantage in my opinion.
Patel89

Josh SKywalker wrote:

I honestly can't see what Currie has done to link him with any club in League 2, let alone League 1 or the Championship, I realise he doesn't have a great squad but Currie is hardly a tactical mastermind or a trend setter for young managers.

If the season ended normally we wouldn't be in the top 7, the 3 games in hand and position in the league where a massive disadvantage in my opinion.
Lol you being for real bit harsh
LoudmouthBFC

Josh SKywalker wrote:

Careful now, you'll make the list and join me!
hoppy

Southend must realise that the likelihood of a manager who is currently employed with another EFL club joining them is remote.
They will have to take what they can get, and they will be looking at unemployed managers, current Southend employees and, yes, non-league managers wishing to step up a division or two.
Whoever accepts the job will taking one heck of a gamble. I don't think many people would be surprised to see Southend going bust or relegated at the end of next season.
Good luck to the next Southend manager....lets hope it's not DC.