Stevenage

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Tuesds

Re: Stevenage

talldarkslim wrote:I cannot see any mention of the discussions to merge league 2 and the national league. This would reduce travel costs and increase gates as and when it is safe to attend. A radical move like this might well be needed to ensure the survival of most but maybe not all clubs in these leagues.
I’d be amazed if League 2 owners gave more than 5 minutes’ thought to what would amount to an immediate downgrading of their clubs.

League 2 clubs also enjoy their TV money. I don’t see Sky paying any more because there are 24 more clubs in the Football League (who bring zero commercial enhancement to the TV Deal), nor do I see Leagues 1 and the Championship relinquishing any more of their share of the Football League TV Money. So it would most likely also mean a major drop in TV revenue for the existing League 2 clubs. Again, surely not something they’re going to vote for.

Much as I’d like promotion to the Football League by whatever means, this feels like a non-starter.
talldarkslim

I would prefer Plymouth on a Tuesday night for sure.
pokal02

Non-league football, at least at a level where gate money is charged, won't return without crowds. It just isn't viable (even at Steps 5 & 6 the majority of clubs are paying players). Recreational football couldn't really stop people watching, say, in a public park, (and I this this would be allowed anyway under current lockdown rules in England).

It's more whether players would want to play, presumably without being tested . My guess is that enough will for football to continue.
#Beebot

Great news, welcome back Stevenage!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52758193
wearebees

There is a clause though, that may not be possible to guarantee?

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-s ... us-update2

5. The principle of relegation across all three divisions is integral to the integrity of the pyramid, from the Premier League down to the National League, provided we have assurances that the National League will start season 2020/21 (i.e. the relegated Club in League Two has somewhere to play).
#Beebot

wearebees wrote:There is a clause though, that may not be possible to guarantee?

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-s ... us-update2

5. The principle of relegation across all three divisions is integral to the integrity of the pyramid, from the Premier League down to the National League, provided we have assurances that the National League will start season 2020/21 (i.e. the relegated Club in League Two has somewhere to play).
Good spot. I am not sure if L2 will be starting back up though, so how can they make that decision unilaterally?
Nudger70

I saw an article recently where it listed the clubs who had players out of contract on June 30th. It had Stevenage as having 34 out of contract . It’s almost if they planned to get relegated.
pokal02

Can't see either L2 or NL playing behind closed doors, so they should start at the same time. If crowds with social distancing are allowed, stadium capacity will be about 15-20%. That'd nearly do us, although others would have problems.

Presumably the NL will have to relegate if L2 do. A bit tricky as 21st-23rd are so close. Better to relegate only Chorley and promote Wealdstone and K Lynn (cue protest from York?)
amberforever

http://www.onlybarnet.com/bfcsa/0304/fi ... e_a/03.jpg
What a great day there in 2003. Graz and Beadle scoring to win us the match after going a goal down !
jerroll

pokal02 wrote:5. The principle of relegation across all three divisions is integral to the integrity of the pyramid, from the Premier League down to the National League, provided we have assurances that the National League will start season 2020/21 (i.e. the relegated Club in League Two has somewhere to play).

Can't see either L2 or NL playing behind closed doors, so they should start at the same time. If crowds with social distancing are allowed, stadium capacity will be about 15-20%. That'd nearly do us, although others would have problems.

Presumably the NL will have to relegate if L2 do. A bit tricky as 21st-23rd are so close. Better to relegate only Chorley and promote Wealdstone and K Lynn (cue protest from York?)
A lot depends on Macclesfield's solvency, will Gravesend be kicked out if their house isn't in order?