Currie to Southend?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BoingBoingDazzleArmy

Re: Currie to Southend?

Being linked with League 1 jobs but some people still find things to moan about him. Top young manager, we need him to stay
BeesKnees99

Nonsense again. DC is totally unproven. Until he achieves something here - whether it’s finishing in the top 7, or even better - higher level clubs would be unwise to take a punt.
BoingBoingDazzleArmy

beesknees99 wrote:Nonsense again. DC is totally unproven. Until he achieves something here - whether it’s finishing in the top 7, or even better - higher level clubs would be unwise to take a punt.
Wow :lol:
MCB

The only DC moving is Danny Cowley to Huddersfield.
hoppy

beesknees99 wrote:Nonsense again. DC is totally unproven. Until he achieves something here - whether it’s finishing in the top 7, or even better - higher level clubs would be unwise to take a punt.
Lincoln City took a punt on an unproven Danny Cowley. It worked out quite well for them.
mcleod23

I wouldn't say Cowley was totally unproven. Got a small budget side in Braintree to the play-offs. That shows a degree of application over the course of a season.
becbee

hoppy wrote:
Lincoln City took a punt on an unproven Danny Cowley. It worked out quite well for them.
The difference being that Danny Cowley had won 3 promotions in his time at Concord Rangers, going from Essex Senior League to NLS. Then in his final season with them reaching FA Cup 1st round proper and only just missing out on Play Offs. He then went to Braintree where they finished 3rd in NL and so were in the Play Offs.
So albeit at non league level, it cannot be said that he was unproven. And Lincoln were non league when he joined them. Southend are League 1.
Last edited by becbee on 09 Sep 2019, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
jerroll

mcleod23 wrote:I wouldn't say Cowley was totally unproven. Got a small budget side in Braintree to the play-offs. That shows a degree of application over the course of a season.
A team that had finished higher in the league than Lincoln the previous season. Personally I wish DC gets the chance to finish the job he has started but I'm sure he is highly ambitious so Southend may appeal although they have been in relative freefall for the last 18 months.
Tuesds

Doesn’t Currie live over that way? Might be why some are putting two and two together and making five (not four, I hope, as I think we’ve got half a chance of doing something this season with him in charge).

Re Cowley, his Braintree spell was indeed sandwiched by not only Lincoln but also Concord, where he showed that he knew which side his bread was buttered, and stood up for his club’s honour when we offered them what they considered to be sub-standard post-match sustenance after our FA Cup tie. He’s always moved on while still on the rise, before things go stale, so it’s no surprise that he’s hungry to move on.
BeeDeceived

Currie is our biggest asset and should be protected as such.
BoingBoingDazzleArmy

BeeDeceived wrote:Currie is our biggest asset and should be protected as such.
:ohlord:
MCB

BeeDeceived wrote:Currie is our biggest asset and should be protected as such.
I'm sticking my neck out and agreeing with you. Maybe not financially, but in terms of what he can do for the club in the next 3-5 years, and bringing club and fans together. And also appreciating that he has not yet had real opportunity in the transfer market.

Also, he seems to be constantly 'rated by clubs in the football league for his coaching skills' so yeh.
mcleod23

Coaching skills differ from managerial success though...let's see what happens.
Jon83

Chief reporter @ Southend Echo says no truth in the rumours re DC. Would be surprised if DC left us for anywhere in the football league at ‘this stage’ of his managerial career.