The Squad and TK

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

The Squad and TK

Postby BeeHagon » 13 Aug 2019, 21:59

Stating the obvious apart from the striker we have the perfect squad to go up. However the striker DC wants will require money and I think TK is unwilling to provide the money therefore if this is the case you have to question the ambition if we are unwilling to spend the money when it gives us a briliant chance of the league when are we going to. Where is the ambition. I love DC and I’m very happy with him as manager. I also am excited about the squad but there is no real reason why a striker wouldn’t want to come here with the squad we have and the start we had made prior to tonight. So of course this is only speculation but surely we must be offering as low as possible wages and therefore missing out. If TK has ambition for the team and not just the ground the FA cup money should have gone into one of the top strikers in the summer aka mccallum or Thsimanga. I can see this quality bees team passing us by with nothing to show if TK doesn’t put the money in and correct the glaringly obvious weak link.
BeeHagon
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 12 May 2018, 07:21

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby ETBee » 13 Aug 2019, 23:26

What evidence do you have that TK is unwilling to spend money on a new striker? None at all.
As for us having a "perfect squad to go up" apart from a striker you were clearly not at tonights game!

DC also has a lot to answer for a out tonights tactics. What was he thinking, that we can win games by continually passing the ball sideways a d back to Loach... ?
ETBee
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: 16 Mar 2013, 10:16

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby Norfolkbee » 13 Aug 2019, 23:43

Tactics are all about having a Plan B, which is something that is severely lacking with a central striker with the physicality to unsettle defences. The fact remains we don't currently possess one and it is the joint responsibility of DC and TK to remedy this situation before our season is over before it has properly started. Perhaps DC is being too choosy or maybe TK is keeping a too tighter grip on the purse strings, either way, the situation has come to a head.
Norfolkbee
 
Posts: 3244
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 09:43

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby ninestein » 14 Aug 2019, 05:35

The opening 3 games have raised expectations a little, and last night was a gentle reminder that we're not there yet. The team is still evolving. No-one expected us to become runaway leaders over the course of the summer. Before we get too down, let's not forget how far we've come since a year ago. This time last year we had an awful start and the football was tedious. This year after 4 matches we have 7 points and are at least showing that we're trying to play a decent brand of football. For me we're moving in the right direction.

As far as the squad is concerned, there are still players i'm sure DC would like to manage out, but contracts are contracts, and that's down to Still's judgement, not Currie. We do miss having a different striker to bring on in the same way Dover brought on Offiong last night.

As for tactics, we are playing out from the back. That is the modern way of football coaching. That also means you use the GK as an extra player on the ball. Dover started to close us down better and make life difficult to do that. When that happens, you have to adjust the gameplan, or simply get better and quicker at finding that outlet into midfield. That means players have to offer themselves better and pass with more urgency. I made a comment at HT yesterday that whilst our posession football is good, the movement up front was poor. Time and time again Harry was looking to pass, but the options were static. In the second half we saw Cheye and Santos playing balls in behind for EMC and suddenly we were asking questions of them.

We want to see DC's approach to succeed. We need to learn that over the course of 90 mins you can't just do the same things. Opponents will adjust their tactics to compensate. We have to do the same and that means our players have to think for themselves too. Personally, i think last night shows how important Elito has become to our team, because as soon as he went off, our ball retention went with it.

As a general thought, watch another side who likes to keep the ball, and ask the question... what is it they do in order to turn possession into meaningful attacks? What is it that we are missing in our game?
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
User avatar
ninestein
 
Posts: 5358
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 20:00

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby pgbee » 14 Aug 2019, 05:51

Under a year ago we beat Dover 2-0 at home in a quite tedious match apart from the goals. Last night we didnt. Some would measure our progress that way, certainly relative to Dover..as things stand I don't see us doing much better than last year, sucker punch is still a danger too often.
pgbee
 
Posts: 2770
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 20:56

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby BeeDeceived » 14 Aug 2019, 06:41

With DC having said “we’ve been in for everyone” a few weeks ago and more recently been confident enough to say he hopes to have a striker in for Dover, I don’t believe he can be blamed. He’s looking for a target man and hasn’t been successful yet.

If the rumours are to be believed (which usually they are), we are still being massively hindered by John Still’s two-year contract bonanza. Bettamer clearly isn’t good enough and he’s one of our highest earners apparently...
BeeDeceived
 
Posts: 83
Joined: 28 Feb 2019, 16:58

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby #Beebot » 14 Aug 2019, 07:32

With Tarpey, Harrison, Wes, Robson, Cousins and loads of U23s gone there should be room in the budget for a forward.

This has been overlooked but I think we really need a winger with genuine pace to stretch teams. We often seem unwilling to get in behind.
#Beebot
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 19:54

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby Bee_Forever » 14 Aug 2019, 07:51

I think we saw the limitations yesterday of our squad and our manager.

Having rushed Johnson back yesterday only for him to get injured again we started the game slowly until we lost our other full back.

Having put Adams on the bench rather than box (he played for dagenham after all so must be good) Tutonda's injury forced Taylor to left back. We could have gone 3 at the back and brought shaq on but I think Currie would genuinely explode if asked to abandon 4-2-3-1

Finally brought on shaq but of course stuck to the formation (who needs two strikers anyway) then brought on the lamentable Sparkes who somehow is considered a better impact sub than vasilou (he played for dagenham after all so must be good).

Currie seems incapable of a plan b and some players seem to get a place for reasons other than football ability.

Oh yes and for the love of god can we please replace Akinde. 14 months and counting.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Bee_Forever
 
Posts: 2983
Joined: 21 Jan 2011, 20:25

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby dawat » 14 Aug 2019, 07:57

With the modern 'let us copy Barcelona' concept of playing football it requires that a team passes from the back whilst retaining possession for the majority of the game. I can understand the logic of this approach, namely a kick up field from the goalkeeper is more likely to be intercepted by the opposition than a simple pass/throw to your own nearby defender. Equally the opposition cannot score against you if you retain possession while you increase your team's chances of scoring because you have the ball more.
That said, what seems to get lost in all this game planning is that while you have possession the intention also is to make an opening from which a goal scoring chance is created and taken. The Brazilian national teams of the 1970's were a great example of how possession was used to open up teams with sudden change of pace of both ball and player creating goal scoring chances that more often than not were taken. Far too often I see teams (even at Premier League level) create the goal scoring chance but waste it by not pushing home the opening s created.
How often have all of us seen an opening created by Barnet for the player concerned to make a unnecessary pass or worse still a bad pass instead of shooting at goal? Whether this is to do with the quality of players at our level or a fear on their part about making a hash of their shot and therefore choosing a get out of jail card by offloading the responsibility onto another player is debatable of course. To some extent this could also explain why a higher goal tally from many Barnet players in not achieved. However while we all wait for the new goal scoring messiah to arrive at the club, this is one aspect of our play that needs to be improved if we are not to just be an attractive but impotent team to watch.
dawat
 
Posts: 2499
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 17:06

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby Norfolkbee » 14 Aug 2019, 08:06

All the (fully justified) murmurings about sideways passing come about because very often there is no focal point to get the ball forward to. It needs some to bring the ball down with their back to goal and get those around him. It would also cut out a lot of the aimless balls forward and keep the opposing defence on the back foot.
Norfolkbee
 
Posts: 3244
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 09:43

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby LoudmouthBFC » 14 Aug 2019, 09:01

Bee_Forever wrote:I think we saw the limitations yesterday of our squad and our manager.

Having rushed Johnson back yesterday only for him to get injured again we started the game slowly until we lost our other full back.

Having put Adams on the bench rather than box (he played for dagenham after all so must be good) Tutonda's injury forced Taylor to left back. We could have gone 3 at the back and brought shaq on but I think Currie would genuinely explode if asked to abandon 4-2-3-1

Finally brought on shaq but of course stuck to the formation (who needs two strikers anyway) then brought on the lamentable Sparkes who somehow is considered a better impact sub than vasilou (he played for dagenham after all so must be good).

Currie seems incapable of a plan b and some players seem to get a place for reasons other than football ability.

Oh yes and for the love of god can we please replace Akinde. 14 months and counting.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk



Now tell me, where have I seen all this before..........
LoudmouthBFC
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: 19 Mar 2016, 18:39

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby BEEGONE » 14 Aug 2019, 09:50

We are aslowly working out again this season that TK dosent care and Currie has no one around him with experience.

No players want to join the club as it has a rotten culture and reputation. How many decent players want to involve themselves in a squad off the back of balloongate and the indifferent performances away from the cup last season. Add to that whispers (true or not) players have to pay for their own shirts, meals and issues around looking after them once injured. Oh and we won’t pay agent fees.

It’s a perfect storm.
BEEGONE
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: 25 Jan 2011, 06:07

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby BeeDeceived » 14 Aug 2019, 09:53

BEEGONE wrote:We are aslowly working out again this season that TK dosent care and Currie has no one around him with experience.

No players want to join the club as it has a rotten culture and reputation. How many decent players want to involve themselves in a squad off the back of balloongate and the indifferent performances away from the cup last season. Add to that whispers (true or not) players have to pay for their own shirts, meals and issues around looking after them once injured. Oh and we won’t pay agent fees.

It’s a perfect storm.


Plus getting abuse every week online and in stadium by supporters. A move here is brave, so hats off to Loach and Dunne who clearly believe in Currie.
BeeDeceived
 
Posts: 83
Joined: 28 Feb 2019, 16:58

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby antbfc » 14 Aug 2019, 09:58

Oh give over!

The Hive is mostly a flat atmosphere, hardly a cauldron of hate that is going to put players off joining. Football is an emotional sport, you have the same reaction at most fan bases, most far worse than ours. The idea that a player like Dunne may have thought, "I don't fancy joining barnet I've heard there's 6 old men in the west stand who boo when we don't retain possession."

Also, we do pay agents fees.

Trump would have a field day on here with the amount of fake news.

We lost, we need to improve, we need a striker. DC is on it.
antbfc
 
Posts: 1773
Joined: 24 Jan 2011, 11:12

Re: The Squad and TK

Postby watfordbee » 14 Aug 2019, 10:08

BeeDeceived wrote:
BEEGONE wrote:We are aslowly working out again this season that TK dosent care and Currie has no one around him with experience.

No players want to join the club as it has a rotten culture and reputation. How many decent players want to involve themselves in a squad off the back of balloongate and the indifferent performances away from the cup last season. Add to that whispers (true or not) players have to pay for their own shirts, meals and issues around looking after them once injured. Oh and we won’t pay agent fees.

It’s a perfect storm.


Plus getting abuse every week online and in stadium by supporters. A move here is brave, so hats off to Loach and Dunne who clearly believe in Currie.


With crowds so low and quiet they can hear everything. Just a poor atmosphere, that probably puts players off joining.
Now Lingfieldbee
User avatar
watfordbee
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 14:09
Location: Lingfield

Next

Return to General Barnet Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beeswinplease, canadabee, dawat, Mickbee, Norfolk & Chance, simmosenior and 48 guests