Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby #Beebot » 13 Aug 2019, 21:00

What's Barham done to be left out as well? Is he injured? He's not the solution up top but we could do with his energy on the wide right of the 433 when we need a goal.
#Beebot
 
Posts: 3006
Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 19:54

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby ninestein » 13 Aug 2019, 21:01

Up until 60 mins we looked the more dangerous side. Their keeper pulls off a couple of decent saves. But the last 30 mins we just couldn't keep the ball. I wanted to see Shaq come on but taking Elito off seemed to disrupt our game.

At 90 mins i would have settled for a 0-0 with a side who will finish comfortably in the top half. But the sucker punch at the end just drains you. Based on the way Dover finished the game, they probably deserved a goal.

Can't help but feel that their number 9 who scored is the template we are looking for in our striker search.
Last edited by ninestein on 13 Aug 2019, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
User avatar
ninestein
 
Posts: 5570
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 20:00

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby Ajtheone04 » 13 Aug 2019, 21:01

There's 3 main things we can take out of this game
1. If we want to win the league we can't be conceding goals like that anymore
2. Name a balanced bench because if a defender gets injured you can't just rely on Harry Taylor putting in a performance attackingly and defencively
3. The big man needs to happen. We can't go the whole season without one.
But we have chesterfield at home on saturday next game and that's a good opportunity to bounce back
Ajtheone04
 
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 May 2019, 12:51

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby #Beebot » 13 Aug 2019, 21:07

ninestein wrote:Up until 60 mins we looked the more dangerous side. Their keeper pulls off a couple of decent saves. But the last 30 mins we just couldn't keep the ball. I wanted to see Shaq come on but taking Elito off seemed to disrupt our game.

At 90 mins i would have settled for a 0-0 with a side who will finish comfortably in the top half. But the sucker punch at the end just drains you. Based on the way Dover finished the game, they probably deserved a goal.

Can't help but feel that their number 9 who scored is the template we are looking for in our striker search.
Effiong was on trial here under Rossi. He's a big lump and not really the type of player we need, though still better than having nobody with any physicality which is what we have at the moment.

Striker aside we could do with some genuine pace out wide as well to stretch teams. None of our wingers are what I'd call rapid.
#Beebot
 
Posts: 3006
Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 19:54

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby rudebwoyben » 13 Aug 2019, 21:07

ninestein wrote:Up until 60 mins we looked the more dangerous side. Their keeper pulls off a couple of decent saves. But the last 30 mins we just couldn't keep the ball. I wanted to see Shaq come on but taking Elito off seemed to disrupt our game.

At 90 mins i would have settled for a 0-0 with a side who will finish comfortably in the top half. But the sucker punch at the end just drains you. Based on the way Dover finished the game, they probably deserved a goal.

Can't help but feel that their number 9 who scored is the template we are looking for in our striker search.


That would be my summary of the match as well. DC’s subs made us worse whereas Hessenthaler’s improved his side. Shaq and Sparkes made no impact whatsoever.
User avatar
rudebwoyben
 
Posts: 6026
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 18:53
Location: Cally Road, London N7

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby john dockers shorts » 13 Aug 2019, 21:10

BeeDeceived wrote:
john dockers shorts wrote:Maybe if someone else asked DC on Twitter about a forward we will have a different answer.....

Hate to add a dollop of reality but this squad still has load of meh players and we need to remember this.


Disagree. The squad is fine, more than good enough for a play off challenge apart from two areas, RB (less of a problem) and a target man.


Thats fair enough but in all honesty we have some basic players. We will do better than last season and may sneak a play off spot but I've seen enough football at Barnet to recognise what a good squad is.
john dockers shorts
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: 30 Apr 2011, 21:29

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby SudburyBee » 13 Aug 2019, 21:18

Painful and predictable
Some glimpses of nice football but lacking any target man and unless we sign someone very quickly we will struggle ..
Chesterfield big lumpers at the back will have no problem against our light weight attack
We have the makings of a good team but without a centre forward our nice build up play is wasted
SudburyBee
 
Posts: 329
Joined: 17 Jun 2015, 17:52

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby beew » 13 Aug 2019, 21:20

john dockers shorts wrote:
BeeDeceived wrote:
john dockers shorts wrote:Maybe if someone else asked DC on Twitter about a forward we will have a different answer.....

Hate to add a dollop of reality but this squad still has load of meh players and we need to remember this.


Disagree. The squad is fine, more than good enough for a play off challenge apart from two areas, RB (less of a problem) and a target man.


Thats fair enough but in all honesty we have some basic players. We will do better than last season and may sneak a play off spot but I've seen enough football at Barnet to recognise what a good squad is.


We all know this squad is not good enough to seriously challenge and until we can clear the decks next May, we won’t get out this league automatically. But if we could get that Akindesque type in soon then we could go on a run to threaten the top spot. All comes down to money, and ambition. Playoffs at best, for me as I can’t see us spending the money needed, to get that player in.
beew
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: 29 Jan 2012, 17:46

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby Norfolkbee » 13 Aug 2019, 21:31

Not paying the going rate for a decent centre forward is a false economy.
Norfolkbee
 
Posts: 3353
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 09:43

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby beesknees99 » 13 Aug 2019, 21:44

beew wrote:
john dockers shorts wrote:
BeeDeceived wrote:
john dockers shorts wrote:Maybe if someone else asked DC on Twitter about a forward we will have a different answer.....

Hate to add a dollop of reality but this squad still has load of meh players and we need to remember this.


Disagree. The squad is fine, more than good enough for a play off challenge apart from two areas, RB (less of a problem) and a target man.


Thats fair enough but in all honesty we have some basic players. We will do better than last season and may sneak a play off spot but I've seen enough football at Barnet to recognise what a good squad is.


We all know this squad is not good enough to seriously challenge and until we can clear the decks next May, we won’t get out this league automatically. But if we could get that Akindesque type in soon then we could go on a run to threaten the top spot. All comes down to money, and ambition. Playoffs at best, for me as I can’t see us spending the money needed, to get that player in.


Absolutely.

In a previous post I predicted the goals would dry up tonight (thus scored 14 pts in the prediction league).

Extremely poor showing from us tonight. We lacked gusto. Energy. Creativity. None of it was there tonight.

Dover are a terrible side, but I had a horrible feeling they’d nick it. But for a 5-10 minute spell in the second half, we offered little.

The longer we wait for a target man, the more points we will drop, and we will be heading for another season of mediocrity unless this changes. Pronto.
beesknees99
 
Posts: 635
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 18:49

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby Modernist » 13 Aug 2019, 22:01

Whilst the absence of a proper centre forward is glaringly obvious, I don't think the arrival of one will be the answer to all our goal scoring problems.Tonight demonstrated the lack of goal scoring threat from the rest of the team. OK, we know Shaq can do it, but in the short stints he has had so far he has done nothing. Lots of nice pretty football, but as was said to me, we did that with Rossi. DC will talk about being ruthless, who in the team is going to be just that...
Modernist
 
Posts: 182
Joined: 25 May 2013, 12:40

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby JOHNBFC » 13 Aug 2019, 22:03

This team is overrated, we simply are a mid table side. Maybe we can scrape into a play off spot with securing a decent striker but still not guaranteed. First two games scored two pens (no goal from open play) and notts, apart from the akinolas chance in the second half we did nothing else. We are creating so little at the moment and that first half summed it up. Dover, don’t get me a wrong a solid side, brought most of us back to reality. This game highlighted all the cracks in the team, much improved from last season but will struggle for playoffs. BUT still hopeful.
JOHNBFC
 
Posts: 93
Joined: 13 Aug 2019, 21:48

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby JOHNBFC » 13 Aug 2019, 22:18

This team is overrated, we simply are a mid table side. Maybe we can scrape into a play off spot with securing a decent striker but still not guaranteed. First two games scored two pens (no goal from open play) and notts, apart from the akinolas chance in the second half we did nothing else. We are creating so little at the moment and that first half summed it up. Dover, don’t get me a wrong a solid side, brought most of us back to reality. This game highlighted all the cracks in the team, much improved from last season but will struggle for playoffs. BUT still hopeful.
JOHNBFC
 
Posts: 93
Joined: 13 Aug 2019, 21:48

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby mcleod23 » 13 Aug 2019, 22:34

Not signing free agent McCallum was totally bonkers. Pay the bloke what he wants as that gets you promoted.

Midfield is dreadful, Jack Taylor had another successful night of doing sod all, you’re meant to be playing as a No.10. Drifts in and out of games so easily.

Boucaud - another game looking pretty on the half way line not actually influencing play where it matters.

There is no drive from midfield, who is carrying the ball forward. Everyone’s first thought is pass, rather than driving into space or a hole.

All getting painful and horribly familiar again this season.
mcleod23
 
Posts: 1657
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 23:33

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby LoringBee » 13 Aug 2019, 22:43

Deeply, deeply frustrating. I actually thought we played quite well against a solid Dover side for 70 minutes, moving the ball well and getting into some good areas, including creating some decent chances.

As others have said, though, this was the game where it became abundantly clear that we do not have a proper centre forward to get on the end of the crosses being put into the box. I'm sorry but it is pathetic, frankly, that we have gone more than a year without a Conference-standard centre forward. Money cannot be an excuse - we've lost more players than we signed (including presumably big-earners like Tarpey, Cousins and Robson) and made a lot of cash from last season's FA Cup run. Currie has made clear that the issue isn't identifying players but landing them, which suggests it is about money. I suspect that this is another example of Kleanthous' penny-pinching costing us dearly but, whatever the reason, he owes supporters an explanation for what is an inexcusable failure to sign a player in the position that has been the top priority for months on end.

What was perhaps most disappointing tonight was the way the players seemed to just settle for a draw and stop fighting after about 75 minutes, rather than pushing hard until the end in search of a winner. We let Dover back into the game so much that it was easy to see them nicking it at the end, and so it proved.

As others have said, Currie's substitutions weakened us, although I don't think they were necessarily the wrong ones at the time. What I don't understand is why he waited until our best period of the game to change things, killing the momentum we had built up. IMO Darren is sometimes too reluctant to change the system and the shape rather than simply the personnel. Tonight, for example, I would've liked to see us go two up top and in general I'm still not convinced 4-2-3-1 is the best formation for this group, given we haven't got a proper centre forward and our wingers aren't good enough at getting balls into the box. A pairing of Coulthirst and Akinola would cause problems for defences but playing just one of them up top is not going to bother centre backs as much as it should. Despite their best efforts (and I was impressed with Simeon again), that was clear tonight.

On the topic of wingers, I thought EMC had a poor game tonight. He shows some good touches and trickery but the end product isn't there. It isn't enough for a winger to put in one cross per game, and he also pulls out of too many tackles and headers for my liking (possibly as a result of carrying a knock). He's got bags of talent and is a hugely exciting prospect but I'm not sure he should be a regular starter at the moment, although I accept we haven't really got anyone else until Mauro is fit...

Overall I'm still impressed with how Currie has got this team playing and think there are a lot of positives compared to much of last season. If Kleanthous provides the money for a proper centre forwarded then I think it could be a decent season. Hopefully we'll learn from tonight and respond in the right way on Saturday.
LoringBee
 
Posts: 286
Joined: 04 Feb 2011, 14:37

PreviousNext

Return to General Barnet Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MCB, Mikel Bee and 18 guests