Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby Bee_Forever » 12 Aug 2019, 13:48

Barnet look to continue their strong start to the season as we welcome Andy Hessenthaler's Dover Athletic to the Hive for a National League fixture.

After Akinola's composed finish saw us ease past Notts County this is a match which Bees fans are looking forward to with a fresh sense of anticipation, but Hessenthaler's men will be no push overs and we will need to be at our best to beat them.

Dover Athletic will always have a place of affection after Ricky Modeste ensured Bristol Rovers could not overtake us in the league in 2015 and although our fortunes took a turn for the worse later, they still have memories of happier days, with Modeste still at the club, Hess the manager and the White Cliff of Dover (c. Jerroll), the humorously immobile Alfie Pavey who nonetheless has managed to equal Akinola's goal tally this season.

In terms of our team, with Johnson and Coulthirst battling back to fitness alongside Boucard, the team has a much stronger feel and if we can sign a new striker before Tuesday that will be the icing on the bun. With Coulthirst's fitness not trusted for him to be the sole striker, we are still short in that area as I think Akinola is happier ferrying up and down the left wing, but at least with Elliot back Dover will have a bit more trouble storming the castle gates.

My team:-

------------------------------------Loach-------------------------------

--Alexander-------Reynolds-------------Santos--------Johnson----

-------------------H. Taylor--------------Dunne-----------------------

-Mason-Clarke--------------J. Taylor----------------Elito------------

-------------------------------Akinola------------------------------------

Subs: Matrevics, Tutonda, Boucaud, Coulthirst, Barham

Looking forward to hopefully a good performance and another three points.

COYB's :Drink1:
Bee_Forever

Re: Dover Athletic (Hive) The Dover Excited Match Thread

Postby barnet34 » 12 Aug 2019, 13:56

Would not leave Tutonda out.
barnet34

Postby ninestein » 12 Aug 2019, 14:18

As good as it is to have these players returning, I wouldn't change a winning side. I'd rather those players be absolutely sure of their fitness before being thrust back into the starting XI. Akinola is doing an excellent job up front for now, and I'm sure he'll want to continue his run of scoring in every game. I would add Shaq into the mix in the 2nd half and blood him back in with a 20 min run-out.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
ninestein

Postby beesknees99 » 12 Aug 2019, 14:20

We’re relatively strong favourites to win the game, but Dover shouldn’t be underestimated. Can see this one being a very tough fixture. A win tomorrow would be a real statement of intent. Fingers crossed we have a new striker by then.
beesknees99

Postby barnetpete » 12 Aug 2019, 14:39

The Barnet Messers are proud to be sponsoring Ricky again this year.
Do you shop on Amazon? Please consider donating, at no extra cost to yourself, to help Children & Young People in Barnet, via https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ch/1164713-0, Amazon will donate to Young Barnet Foundation with every purchase.
barnetpete

Postby Roy57 » 12 Aug 2019, 14:52

Think this game will be our toughest to date. Last season I thought the job Andy hessenthaler did was very impressive. Took over a team struggling and ended up very comfortable top half of table. I don't bet but if I did as a outside bet for top 6 finish could do far worse than bet on Dover. doesn't at this time seen likely of the signing DC mentioned to have in place for this game. Would rather wait and get right player than a player who has not found a club of his choice and nobody else wants. would Rather keep faith with Akinola. Shaq. And Jack B. Talking of Barnham does anybody know what's happening. Has he joined our growing injury list of just not in DC''s plans.
Roy57

Postby hoofer2 » 12 Aug 2019, 17:30

Underestimate Dover at our peril. They are second only to Halifax for form over past 6 games...

15656309693487495009998382630092.jpg
hoofer2

Postby Hiveoccupier » 12 Aug 2019, 18:29

hoofer2 wrote:Underestimate Dover at our peril. They are second only to Halifax for form over past 6 games...

Are the first three of those matches relevant given that they took place at the arse end of last season when many players would have been on the beach and were followed by a close season with significant personnel changes at most clubs ?
Hiveoccupier

Postby pgbee » 12 Aug 2019, 18:52

Hiveoccupier wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:Underestimate Dover at our peril. They are second only to Halifax for form over past 6 games...

Are the first three of those matches relevant given that they took place at the arse end of last season when many players would have been on the beach and were followed by a close season with significant personnel changes at most clubs ?

The joy of statistics is that they can always be interpreted to suit the argument...
pgbee

Postby Masuka » 13 Aug 2019, 10:10

Has Modeste been given the freedom of Barnet yet?
Once a Bee ALWAYS a Bee
Masuka

Postby MCB » 13 Aug 2019, 11:09

So i'd say our biggest challenge of the season so far. Two teams who have a degree of continuity - two managers who came in last season and have been given a chance to mould the team to their liking.

You get the feeling that Hessy will produce a team that is similar to how he played - canny, tight, a team of fighters. Just have to hope they also have another aspect of his play - absolutely no pace!

Also hope that our team can produce in front of what undoubtably will be a fairly small crowd.

Tonight will be a marker for both teams seasons I reckon - are we both good enough to push from mid table to play offs?
MCB

Postby Roy57 » 13 Aug 2019, 14:42

For those who cannot make tonight's game through work or other commitments the game is being covered live on BBC radio Kent
Roy57

Postby Masuka » 13 Aug 2019, 17:29

My goodness the Dover fans forum is a heap of sh1te. You are greeted with what appears to be one of their fans with a tattoo of the Dover crest that may well have been done by Stevie Wonder himself
Once a Bee ALWAYS a Bee
Masuka

Postby rudebwoyben » 13 Aug 2019, 17:53

Same starting XI as on Saturday.
rudebwoyben

Postby dawat » 13 Aug 2019, 17:53

Roy57 wrote:For those who cannot make tonight's game through work or other commitments the game is being covered live on BBC radio Kent

Can't see it on their schedule!
dawat

Next

Return to General Barnet Chat