Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby Hiveoccupier » 07 Aug 2019, 08:46

We controlled it for 70 out of the 90 minutes and spurned at least 3 decent opportunities to bury them. We were the better side and should have taken all three points against a team that a lot in this division are going to struggle with.

A good performance and further reasons to be optimistic about this seasons prospects.
Hiveoccupier
 
Posts: 3394
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 16:59

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby becbee » 07 Aug 2019, 08:59

I'd say that we controlled it for 56 minutes, they scored 57 minutes then completely controlled the game for the next 20+ with the final 10 minutes fairly even.
We could well have had a penalty a few minutes prior to the one we were given.
It's too soon to judge the opposition but Sutton did win 1-3 at Hartlepool on Saturday so credit that we restricted them to 1 yesterday.
becbee
 
Posts: 7787
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 11:43

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby ninestein » 07 Aug 2019, 09:04

Halifax are the only team to have picked up maximum points.
We are doing OK. Darren suggested in his interview that players are returning to training. When Shaq and Ephron both get some match fitness, we will start to hurt teams a bit more. If we can find the right number 9, we could be in for a very interesting season. Right now with so many games being played, it's all about getting enough results to give us a platform for when the fixtures settle down a bit to once a week.

When I tell my work mates that we had 8 fixtures in August, they were shocked. These Premier League fans have no idea what fixture congestion really is.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
User avatar
ninestein
 
Posts: 5570
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 20:00

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby Mr Smart » 07 Aug 2019, 09:54

4 points from the first 2 games is a good return. Would've taken that even with a fully fit squad. I was at Saturday's game but not last night so from the comments I've seen and heard, the foundation of the side seems to be working ie creating chances, fairly solid, keeping possession... if we can get the cherry on the cake.
One thing that nobody has mentioned. If you're a striker looking for a loan or are out of contract, seeing that we have started well is going to be a much more attractive proposition.
Mr Smart
 
Posts: 2768
Joined: 24 Jan 2011, 18:20

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby becbee » 07 Aug 2019, 12:21

Some interesting posts on the Sutton message board, quite reasonable even if they were unimpressed by some of the comments posted on here pre match about their pitch.

"Barnet looked a much better side than the one we played last season but their failings up front may cost them".

Apparently the ref last night, James Durkin, is the son of ex Prem ref Paul Durkin. I thought that like on Saturday, the ref had a good game. Wouldn't it be good if the NL refs this season could keep up the improvement?
becbee
 
Posts: 7787
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 11:43

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby Bee_Forever » 07 Aug 2019, 13:19

In all fairness I thought we put in a decent performance last night and if it had been Shaq on the end of some of those chances the game would have been over and done with.

We did well to take the pitch out of the occasion, and given Harry Taylor was drafted in at centre half, and we still had Sparkes playing and Akinola out of position, we put in a really good shift, especially in midfield.

Encouraging signs. Loved seeing Dunne the bouncer again for the Akinola penalty and him charging around bullishly in midfield.

Here's hoping our new number 9 matches the quality of our other two signings.
Bee_Forever
 
Posts: 3114
Joined: 21 Jan 2011, 20:25

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby Hiveoccupier » 07 Aug 2019, 13:40

becbee wrote:I'd say that we controlled it for 56 minutes, they scored 57 minutes then completely controlled the game for the next 20+ with the final 10 minutes fairly even.
We could well have had a penalty a few minutes prior to the one we were given.
It's too soon to judge the opposition but Sutton did win 1-3 at Hartlepool on Saturday so credit that we restricted them to 1 yesterday.


How can it be too soon to judge the opposition ? We played them yesterday on their pitch for a full 90 minutes. They looked strong, well organised, difficult to break down, and capable of some decent play.

I'm quite happy with my assessment that we controlled the game too. They had one period of 20 minutes where they scored their goal apart from that we had most of the possession, at least 3 clear cut goal scoring opportunities including hitting a post, and as you say we also had a good penalty shout to go with the one we got.
Hiveoccupier
 
Posts: 3394
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 16:59

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby MCB » 07 Aug 2019, 13:53

So we're all in agreement that Darren Curries permanent signings are top notch?

Imagine if he had John Still's budget..
User avatar
MCB
 
Posts: 3460
Joined: 11 May 2016, 17:41

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby becbee » 07 Aug 2019, 13:53

Hiveoccupier wrote:
becbee wrote:I'd say that we controlled it for 56 minutes, they scored 57 minutes then completely controlled the game for the next 20+ with the final 10 minutes fairly even.
We could well have had a penalty a few minutes prior to the one we were given.
It's too soon to judge the opposition but Sutton did win 1-3 at Hartlepool on Saturday so credit that we restricted them to 1 yesterday.


How can it be too soon to judge the opposition ? We played them yesterday on their pitch for a full 90 minutes. They looked strong, well organised, difficult to break down, and capable of some decent play.

I'm quite happy with my assessment that we controlled the game too. They had one period of 20 minutes where they scored their goal apart from that we had most of the possession, at least 3 clear cut goal scoring opportunities including hitting a post, and as you say we also had a good penalty shout to go with the one we got.


We can judge the opposition on the 90 minutes we see but we've no idea at this stage how representative that will prove to be. Given that Sutton also won 1-3 away on Saturday then the inference over 180 minutes is that they are reasonable - but who knows? Last season Chesterfield won their first 3 matches but then it all went very pear shaped for them for half the season.

So I suppose that what I more mean is that it's too early to say how good a result a draw at Sutton is.
becbee
 
Posts: 7787
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 11:43

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby Hiveoccupier » 07 Aug 2019, 14:01

becbee wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:
becbee wrote:I'd say that we controlled it for 56 minutes, they scored 57 minutes then completely controlled the game for the next 20+ with the final 10 minutes fairly even.
We could well have had a penalty a few minutes prior to the one we were given.
It's too soon to judge the opposition but Sutton did win 1-3 at Hartlepool on Saturday so credit that we restricted them to 1 yesterday.


How can it be too soon to judge the opposition ? We played them yesterday on their pitch for a full 90 minutes. They looked strong, well organised, difficult to break down, and capable of some decent play.

I'm quite happy with my assessment that we controlled the game too. They had one period of 20 minutes where they scored their goal apart from that we had most of the possession, at least 3 clear cut goal scoring opportunities including hitting a post, and as you say we also had a good penalty shout to go with the one we got.


We can judge the opposition on the 90 minutes we see but we've no idea at this stage how representative that will prove to be. Given that Sutton also won 1-3 away on Saturday then the inference over 180 minutes is that they are reasonable - but who knows? Last season Chesterfield won their first 3 matches but then it all went very pear shaped for them for half the season.

So I suppose that what I more mean is that it's too early to say how good a result a draw at Sutton is.


Whatever. IMO a draw against that team on their pitch was a good result and could easily have been a win.
Hiveoccupier
 
Posts: 3394
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 16:59

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby LoudmouthBFC » 07 Aug 2019, 16:28

Sutton United F.C. 1 v Barnet F.C. 1| Pass & move, pass and don't shoot | GAMEDAY! Vlog (06/08/19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adf5x9sFPtw
LoudmouthBFC
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: 19 Mar 2016, 18:39

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby letchbee94 » 07 Aug 2019, 20:16

Only 2 games in but Dunne is looking a quality signing, maybe make him captain?
Nice to be unbeaten after 2 games, Our record at Notts is not great but we must be due a win there at some point?
letchbee94
 
Posts: 5972
Joined: 21 Jan 2011, 20:59

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby letchbee94 » 07 Aug 2019, 20:17

LoudmouthBFC wrote:Sutton United F.C. 1 v Barnet F.C. 1| Pass & move, pass and don't shoot | GAMEDAY! Vlog (06/08/19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adf5x9sFPtw


Good work Matt :)
letchbee94
 
Posts: 5972
Joined: 21 Jan 2011, 20:59

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby BeeDeceived » 08 Aug 2019, 13:18

LoudmouthBFC wrote:Sutton United F.C. 1 v Barnet F.C. 1| Pass & move, pass and don't shoot | GAMEDAY! Vlog (06/08/19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adf5x9sFPtw


Why not stand with the Barnet fans?
BeeDeceived
 
Posts: 203
Joined: 28 Feb 2019, 16:58

Re: Sutton (a) The Summer Trampoline Party Thread

Postby LoudmouthBFC » 08 Aug 2019, 14:31

BeeDeceived wrote:
LoudmouthBFC wrote:Sutton United F.C. 1 v Barnet F.C. 1| Pass & move, pass and don't shoot | GAMEDAY! Vlog (06/08/19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adf5x9sFPtw


Why not stand with the Barnet fans?



Because I'm fat, I wanted to sit down.
LoudmouthBFC
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: 19 Mar 2016, 18:39

PreviousNext

Return to General Barnet Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests