Wes Fonguck

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
antbfc

Re: Wes Fonguck

Psycho wrote:Really sickened by this. We needed to build a team around Wes and we've lost one of our most talented players.

This will haunt us like Jamal Lowe. He'll be in the Championship at least in three or four years.
Slight over reaction. Just as likely he'll slip into conference south in the years to come...
Jon83

antbfc wrote:
Psycho wrote:Really sickened by this. We needed to build a team around Wes and we've lost one of our most talented players.

This will haunt us like Jamal Lowe. He'll be in the Championship at least in three or four years.
Slight over reaction. Just as likely he'll slip into conference south in the years to come...
Massive overreaction. I'd be very surprised if WF ends up at a Championship club in a couple of years.

JL doesn't haunt us either. He wasn't good enough at the time, he dropped down and then made significant progress. Unfortunately we're not a club that can accommodate lots of players for several years that 'might' develop.
becbee

So far as I remember, Jamal Lowe wasn't that much of a prospect when he was with us, it took him a year or two more before he started to play well enough for Portsmouth to take a gamble on him.
Barnet have seemingly tried to re-sign Wes Fonguck but if he won't sign and would rather listen to his agent telling him to go abroad, then we can't force him to stay. He may long term go up ( I hope he does), he may go down, but either way it won't haunt us, just as Jamal Lowe doesn't haunt us.
#Beebot

Jon83 wrote:
antbfc wrote:

Massive overreaction. I'd be very surprised if WF ends up at a Championship club in a couple of years.

JL doesn't haunt us either. He wasn't good enough at the time, he dropped down and then made significant progress. Unfortunately we're not a club that can accommodate lots of players for several years that 'might' develop.
But, in fairness, he was behind Crawford and Mengerink while he was here, it's not like quality players were keeping him out of the team. Much like 17/18 where we picked Bover and Blackman over EMC. We do have a problem with preferring average senior players to young prospects.
barnetpete

#Beebot wrote:We do have a problem with preferring average senior players to young prospects.
Do we? We have had plenty of young players over the past few years, both through our ranks and signed in. When we sign the senior players its not like we buy them for being average, we expect them to make a difference.

A good squad is usually a blend of both, getting that right isn't easy. Would we have got promoted without Stack, Cook and McDonald the other year, possibly not, but that squad relied on youngsters like Mauro, Gambin and Elliott too. There were also some other young prospects and experienced players who were also bang average.

So a few youngsters are ambitious enough/have head turned by their agents, to think they can do better than Barnet. Good luck to them, as long as they leave gracefully. We are a non league club right now, if someone can play higher/earn more, then good luck to them.
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
john dockers shorts

barnetpete wrote:
#Beebot wrote:We do have a problem with preferring average senior players to young prospects.
Do we? We have had plenty of young players over the past few years, both through our ranks and signed in. When we sign the senior players its not like we buy them for being average, we expect them to make a difference.

A good squad is usually a blend of both, getting that right isn't easy. Would we have got promoted without Stack, Cook and McDonald the other year, possibly not, but that squad relied on youngsters like Mauro, Gambin and Elliott too. There were also some other young prospects and experienced players who were also bang average.

So a few youngsters are ambitious enough/have head turned by their agents, to think they can do better than Barnet. Good luck to them, as long as they leave gracefully. We are a non league club right now, if someone can play higher/earn more, then good luck to them.
Nail on head.

If he can earn more at a higher level go for it Wes... Why would you not go for it
Psycho

Why bother with future sell-on clauses? It's not like we need the money. Jamal Lowe linked with a £4million pound move to Norwich although he pissed about in the non-league scene, but 10% of that now and TK's laughing.

A smart businessman might just take out that insurance deal because if Andy Carroll can be sold for £35million, then Wes sure could pocket us a few quid whoever snaps him up - we DESERVE compensation. This club is too nice and we can do up THL as much as we want but we need the money from somewhere. Ah, yes, just remembered - the FA Cup prize money. Put that in for starters.
To bee or not to bee

Psycho wrote:Why bother with future sell-on clauses? It's not like we need the money. Jamal Lowe linked with a £4million pound move to Norwich although he pissed about in the non-league scene, but 10% of that now and TK's laughing.

A smart businessman might just take out that insurance deal because if Andy Carroll can be sold for £35million, then Wes sure could pocket us a few quid whoever snaps him up - we DESERVE compensation. This club is too nice and we can do up THL as much as we want but we need the money from somewhere. Ah, yes, just remembered - the FA Cup prize money. Put that in for starters.
FA Cup money is gone :sad: it covered the losses caused by the bloated squad and dismal crowds. Down to 750 at 1 point I think? We’re skint. There isn’t any money. Get used to it.

Good luck to Wes. A player under rated by some but he knew where the goal was and ALWAYS tried his best.
rudebwoyben

Psycho wrote:Why bother with future sell-on clauses? It's not like we need the money. Jamal Lowe linked with a £4million pound move to Norwich although he pissed about in the non-league scene, but 10% of that now and TK's laughing.

Seeing that Lowe joined 3 clubs permanently before Portsmouth after leaving us, why on earth would we have received any sell-on monies for him?
Time

#Beebot

Time wrote:On trial in Holland at telstar

https://www.nhnieuws.nl/nieuws/250242/m ... ij-telstar
Good spot.

15th in the Dutch second tier last season - maybe not as big a step up as I was expecting, but a lot of scouts from across Europe will watch that league so it's certainly a bigger platform for him if it comes off.
ninestein

The Dutch league is a good one for high scoring games.
Hope he does well. However, if it doesn't work out, he will be without a club as the season starts. Nice work Mr. Agent!
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Mem Beespod

His agent has had a lot of success with British raised talent playing in Europe. This could be a very good move for Wes as I’m struggling to see how he would’ve found a place in our system.

IMO he plays like the Frank Lampard in that Chelsea midfield 3 with Makelele/Essien. Not involved in the build up play but arrives late to great effect. We don’t play a 433 like Still tried to do.

I can see us playing two enforcers in DM this season with Jack Taylor in front in the 10 position or if we get a striker, Shaq might play there. The shape doesn’t really suit Wes’ skill set.

The Dutch however, play a 433 throughout their leagues so it would suit him well.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
BGr

Group of us go to watch Telstar once or twice a season:
78A7E329-36E8-460F-9C03-BC0334F33577.jpeg
78A7E329-36E8-460F-9C03-BC0334F33577.jpeg (83.28 KiB) Viewed 19659 times
What I can tell you about Telstar and the KKD (Dutch division 2):

Telstar have a reputation of trying to do things the right way, play quick attacking football and many of their players have gone either into the eredivisie or abroad to a higher level. Hamdaoui and Osman two former midfielders who have gone to the eredivisie with FC Twente and Almelo recently, Jerdy schouten joined Excelsior last season, was one of the top CDMs in the eredivisie before moving to Bologna in serie A amidst links to Man united! Andria Novakovich scored a bucketload there on loan from Reading and actually got a USA national team call up while playing for them.

Telstar as a club - very comparable in size and support to barnet. Although from what I have heard their wage range is actually slightly below ours. They are coached by Andries Jonker, a massively well regarded coach on the continent who has managed Wolfsburg and actually Bayern Munich as well. He was a youth coach at Arsenal recently and I’d guess this is how he has found about Wes, as Reiss Nelson (stablemate of fonguck’s on the agent front ) was in his youth team there.

The KKD is a crazy, ridiculous league where the attacking play is of championship standard and the defending of Isthmian league standard. I’ve seen four telstar games and there has been 23 goals in total, in those four games I’ve never seen either team score less than 2.

It’s a tough division to do well in with sides like NEC and Roda JC down there But telstar Are quietly confident with a fairly settled squad. I really hope that’s where Wes ends up as I think he could do well there.
#Beebot

hgbee wrote:Group of us go to watch Telstar once or twice a season:
78A7E329-36E8-460F-9C03-BC0334F33577.jpeg
What I can tell you about Telstar and the KKD (Dutch division 2):

Telstar have a reputation of trying to do things the right way, play quick attacking football and many of their players have gone either into the eredivisie or abroad to a higher level. Hamdaoui and Osman two former midfielders who have gone to the eredivisie with FC Twente and Almelo recently, Jerdy schouten joined Excelsior last season, was one of the top CDMs in the eredivisie before moving to Bologna in serie A amidst links to Man united! Andria Novakovich scored a bucketload there on loan from Reading and actually got a USA national team call up while playing for them.

Telstar as a club - very comparable in size and support to barnet. Although from what I have heard their wage range is actually slightly below ours. They are coached by Andries Jonker, a massively well regarded coach on the continent who has managed Wolfsburg and actually Bayern Munich as well. He was a youth coach at Arsenal recently and I’d guess this is how he has found about Wes, as Reiss Nelson (stablemate of fonguck’s on the agent front ) was in his youth team there.

The KKD is a crazy, ridiculous league where the attacking play is of championship standard and the defending of Isthmian league standard. I’ve seen four telstar games and there has been 23 goals in total, in those four games I’ve never seen either team score less than 2.

It’s a tough division to do well in with sides like NEC and Roda JC down there But telstar Are quietly confident with a fairly settled squad. I really hope that’s where Wes ends up as I think he could do well there.
Great post, thank you. Telstar should be our first stop if we ever go on a preseason tour of the Netherlands.