Striker signing anxiety

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
#Beebot

Re: Striker signing anxiety

beesknees99 wrote:To the people writing him off already, just calm down FFS.

What were you expecting? Danny Rowe? Akinde? Kane?

We have signed the type of player we have lacked. Big, strong, target man.

OK, he probably won’t become our primary goal outlet, but he’ll be a dangerous threat from crosses - something we crucially lack - and hopefully provide opportunities for other attackers.

He’s made a great start to the season with Dover, and to be honest, with our injuries, we needed someone pronto. Pavey fits the bill.

I look forward to seeing him in action tomorrow, and hope he gets a debut hat trick to prove the doubters wrong.
A few were genuinely expecting Rowe which I thought was unrealistic. I think that given how picky DC has been for a while now, for us to bring in a slow, plodding target man whose goal record at this level is worse than one in four does seem very underwhelming. I don't think he moves quickly enough to solve the problems we have in our attack and nor can we rely on him to create for others when we don't have enough proven scorers in our midfield.

Still, there's no doubt he offers something different, the question is how good his hold up play will be and how effective he will be in the six yard box.
#Beebot

Ajtheone04 wrote:is this also the end for barham?
It was over for Barham when DC came in to be honest. He's never rated him.
jerroll

5 years is a long time in football, lets hope we can end the season the same way we did the last time Alfie was at the club.
beew

Seem to remember him scoring for us at the Hive in front of the north terrace. A scuffed shot from the edge of the area. Wasn't he on loan from millwall then?
Stuart

Amazing negativity. Was very successfull in NL South at Dartford and is not the rather limp player we had on loan. Has done well at Dover and once he settles in will give us a focal point/support play without scoring a lot of goals. Gash plus, plus hopefully

For heaven's sake, the moaners should give him time to settle-in and please not the frequent ill informed negativity which helps nobody.

DC knows football better than the negative keyboard moaners.
#Beebot

beew wrote:Seem to remember him scoring for us at the Hive in front of the north terrace. A scuffed shot from the edge of the area. Wasn't he on loan from millwall then?
Never scored for us, he did boot the ball into his own face, Chris Brass style once though.
ninestein

In fairness to Alfie, when he was on loan here he was very young. It was a rabbit in headlights situation.

He now has experience of the division. As a previous poster said, the attribute we've been missing is strong hold up play. Hopefully it's a missing piece of the jigsaw.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
john dockers shorts

You only have to think on Saturday we had one way playing and that was pass, pass, pass.

There was no option at playing a long ball.

At least now we can mix it up and can whipp in crosses rather than having to walk it in.

I'm encouraged by Alfie joining and really hope he does allow us to mix our style up.
BeesKnees99

#Beebot wrote:
beesknees99 wrote:To the people writing him off already, just calm down FFS.

What were you expecting? Danny Rowe? Akinde? Kane?

We have signed the type of player we have lacked. Big, strong, target man.

OK, he probably won’t become our primary goal outlet, but he’ll be a dangerous threat from crosses - something we crucially lack - and hopefully provide opportunities for other attackers.

He’s made a great start to the season with Dover, and to be honest, with our injuries, we needed someone pronto. Pavey fits the bill.

I look forward to seeing him in action tomorrow, and hope he gets a debut hat trick to prove the doubters wrong.
A few were genuinely expecting Rowe which I thought was unrealistic. I think that given how picky DC has been for a while now, for us to bring in a slow, plodding target man whose goal record at this level is worse than one in four does seem very underwhelming. I don't think he moves quickly enough to solve the problems we have in our attack and nor can we rely on him to create for others when we don't have enough proven scorers in our midfield.

Still, there's no doubt he offers something different, the question is how good his hold up play will be and how effective he will be in the six yard box.
Underwhelming maybe. But overall this is positive news.

A Dover fan on Twitter basically said he’ll score for fun if the service is good, but doesn’t move much.

However - DC rates his work ethic, so I guess we’ll see.
BeesKnees99

john dockers shorts wrote:You only have to think on Saturday we had one way playing and that was pass, pass, pass.

There was no option at playing a long ball.

At least now we can mix it up and can whipp in crosses rather than having to walk it in.

I'm encouraged by Alfie joining and really hope he does allow us to mix our style up.
Spot on, we were one dimensional and got a bit lucky in the end. We actually have an aerial outlet now.
ninestein

Casting my mind back to the Dover home at home last month (but blanking out the last minute), Alfie seemed to link up very well with his attacking players. He's no Akinde, but then again no-one at this level is like Akinde. He was a rare quality forward with speed, strength and power. Most clubs at this level will create the complete set of attacking attributes by having 2 or 3 players playing together and complimenting each other.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
b4life

He needs 10 games with some decent service before anyone can really judge him. DC’s judgement has proven to be pretty good so far, let’s hope this is the case here. He’s certainly made some of our very average players look better than last season. Pavey could be the final piece of the jigsaw.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
barnet34

We have the players to create chances for him, so it could be a good signing.
beew

How much did we pay? He was under contract at Dover?
beew

#Beebot wrote:
beew wrote:Seem to remember him scoring for us at the Hive in front of the north terrace. A scuffed shot from the edge of the area. Wasn't he on loan from millwall then?
Never scored for us, he did boot the ball into his own face, Chris Brass style once though.
I got him mixed up with Sam Hoskins.