Striker signing anxiety

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Striker signing anxiety

Postby Guiseleybee » 02 Jul 2019, 12:34

A lot of us are getting a little concerned we haven’t signed a striker yet. It’s hard to argue with that anxiety if we are to challenge and learn from last season.

We need to be scoring around 25 to 30 more goals than we managed last term if we realistically want to be in top 7.

Whilst a more attacking mindset from the off, coupled with a more settled squad and perhaps better returns from midfield will help, we definitely need a physical presence striker who can hold it up, bring others into play and also score 10-15 themselves.

The anxiety to get a deal done is heightened by the fact the fixtures tomorrow will inevitably show again the need for a fast start with nearly a third of matches played by end of Sept.

We can’t allow ourselves to wait for a new frontman to come in last minute again like Harrison did and then wait for weeks for them to get match fit.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned if we don’t sign anyone else but where the striker issue is concerned, it needs to happen in next two weeks.
Guiseleybee
 
Posts: 254
Joined: 11 May 2011, 23:08

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby ninestein » 02 Jul 2019, 12:54

It might be a good time for DC to put one of his videos out discussing the first week back in training, how the players are who came back from injuries, and without naming names, whether there's anything afoot in the transfer market in or out.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
User avatar
ninestein
 
Posts: 5464
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 20:00

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby mcleod23 » 02 Jul 2019, 13:09

If we are to sign one more, it is a striker. Why does it always seem like we're pulling teeth with transfers / close season?

It's mega frustrating seeing other clubs signing players that I would have had here (Mingoia at B'Wood etc...).

An update from Currie on the things that matter (not Reynolds about the atmosphere in the camp), is needed. Mikael Mandron would be my pick now (released from Colchester or Alex Revell after rejecting a deal at Stevenage). These two would be great additions.

Show some urgency and intent.
mcleod23
 
Posts: 1631
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 23:33

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby DanSweeneyOfficial » 02 Jul 2019, 15:11

If we play Barham say 20 games a season we'll get loads more goals
DanSweeneyOfficial
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 17 Jan 2019, 12:50

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby ETBee » 02 Jul 2019, 15:50

I think the reality is that we have too many players, costing too much. DC just does not have the money to bring in a top striker so we may end up with the same situation we were in last year. The great tragedy for us, and him, is what happened to Tarpey.

A quick look at last year's table seems to show that while we were 7th best at letting in goals we were 20th at goals scored which shows where the problem lies. A side issue but nonetheless important one is that fans want to see a player who raises the heartbeat when he gets the ball and makes us feel something is about to happen. (But I don't mean the hike in anxiety which occurred early last season when Sweeney got the ball!)

I think there are more goals to come from Jack Taylor (if we can hang on to him), Fonguck (if he's braver and more decisive) and EMC (if he learns how to kick the ball at the goal).
ETBee
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 16 Mar 2013, 10:16

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby #Beebot » 02 Jul 2019, 17:49

2 goals in 41 games last season for Mandron - we are getting desperate!
#Beebot
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 19:54

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby Norfolkbee » 02 Jul 2019, 17:56

#Beebot wrote:2 goals in 41 games last season for Mandron - we are getting desperate!

Has he signed then?
Norfolkbee
 
Posts: 3305
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 09:43

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby #Beebot » 02 Jul 2019, 18:28

Norfolkbee wrote:
#Beebot wrote:2 goals in 41 games last season for Mandron - we are getting desperate!

Has he signed then?
No but he was seriously suggested above!
#Beebot
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 19:54

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby Tuesds » 02 Jul 2019, 18:45

#Beebot wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:
#Beebot wrote:2 goals in 41 games last season for Mandron - we are getting desperate!

Has he signed then?
No but he was seriously suggested above!


I think he’s a decent suggestion. Yes his record last season would be a concern, but he scored goals when he last played at our level. Plus, remarkably, he was well-liked at Col U despite that weak goal scoring record, because he was good with his back to goal, skilful, good in the air etc.

Interestingly I note he’s been spotted in ColU’s ‘back-to-school training photos, presumably as a favour for him to keep fit rather than because they’re re-thinking their decision to release him.

There are other players I’d rather have before him (eg the other guy mentioned by mcLeod23, Revell), but if we’re specifically looking for a target man, I think we could do worse than Mandron.
Tuesds
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: 27 Jan 2011, 12:26

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby #Beebot » 02 Jul 2019, 21:13

Tuesds wrote:
#Beebot wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:
#Beebot wrote:2 goals in 41 games last season for Mandron - we are getting desperate!

Has he signed then?
No but he was seriously suggested above!


I think he’s a decent suggestion. Yes his record last season would be a concern, but he scored goals when he last played at our level. Plus, remarkably, he was well-liked at Col U despite that weak goal scoring record, because he was good with his back to goal, skilful, good in the air etc.

Interestingly I note he’s been spotted in ColU’s ‘back-to-school training photos, presumably as a favour for him to keep fit rather than because they’re re-thinking their decision to release him.

There are other players I’d rather have before him (eg the other guy mentioned by mcLeod23, Revell), but if we’re specifically looking for a target man, I think we could do worse than Mandron.


I think a pure target man who doesn't score many puts an awful lot of pressure on Shaq and EMC. We need someone to score at least 10-15 in addition to Shaq and EMC hitting double figures.
#Beebot
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 19:54

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby StephenM » 02 Jul 2019, 21:24

mcleod23 wrote:
It's mega frustrating seeing other clubs signing players that I would have had here (Mingoia at B'Wood etc...).

.

The time to be concerned is when it's DC's targets joining other's. As far as anyone knows that hasn't happened.
StephenM
 
Posts: 781
Joined: 16 Jul 2015, 11:56

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby ninestein » 02 Jul 2019, 21:47

Like i said a few days ago. It might be the case that we were never in for any of those players in the first place. The only people who can answer that question are DC and TK.

However, I've long been admirer of Piero Mingoia. When he played against us he's one of the few people I've thought "I wish we had you in our side". Shame that he's ended up down the road, but maybe he's not the same player anymore.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
User avatar
ninestein
 
Posts: 5464
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 20:00

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby Norfolkbee » 03 Jul 2019, 00:55

ninestein wrote:Like i said a few days ago. It might be the case that we were never in for any of those players in the first place. The only people who can answer that question are DC and TK.

However, I've long been admirer of Piero Mingoia. When he played against us he's one of the few people I've thought "I wish we had you in our side". Shame that he's ended up down the road, but maybe he's not the same player anymore.


Whilst it is debatable that Barnet were ever "in" for all these players, the chances are that they have been contacted over a few of them because that's what agents do. The most important part of these conversations is likely as not to include the phrases "how much?" and "you're joking!"
Norfolkbee
 
Posts: 3305
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 09:43

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby Pingorock » 04 Jul 2019, 12:04

An update from Currie on the things that matter (not Reynolds about the atmosphere in the camp), is needed. Mikael Mandron would be my pick now (released from Colchester or Alex Revell after rejecting a deal at Stevenage). These two would be great addition


Alex Revell has announced his retirement
Pingorock
 
Posts: 171
Joined: 21 Jan 2011, 18:24

Re: Striker signing anxiety

Postby Mr Smart » 04 Jul 2019, 12:44

DanSweeneyOfficial wrote:If we play Barham say 20 games a season we'll get loads more goals


Barham may be capable of scoring 20 but his link up play isn’t his best asset. Someone with good link up play will help the 3 AMs behind them score double figures each. We have a lot of players that buzz around but we need a focal point so we have a functioning 4 attacking players rather than 1 player scoring
Mr Smart
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: 24 Jan 2011, 18:20

Next

Return to General Barnet Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], jdmckbee and 17 guests