Stanley the tout

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
jerroll

Re: Stanley the tout

MCB wrote:
hoofer2 wrote: Taking the club to the brink is inexcusable and it's clear that managing finances of a football club in the way you ran a ticket brokerage would catch up with you, but what a time to be a Bees fan.
The football was sublime at time, the terraces thriving and players who knew what it meant to perform in a bees shirt.

All to provoke a response that was to be photographed and made into the infamous "Ban Fat Stan Poster" that was circulated in it's thousands and papered onto
a huge mobile billboard, motivation to sell papers rather than genuinely care about Barnet FC.

At the time I was one of many caught up in the mania, upset that the club was brought to the brink after our most successful season in history and took pleasure
in having the poster on my wall. But on reflection part of me feels ashamed that I made a small contribution to the Sun's hate campaign against an individual who played a big part in
bringing seasons of football joy that will never be bettered. We had every right to be angry and protest, shame it was hijacked by the Sun,
All good points, I still have my Ban Fat Stan Poster. But that came around after he assaulted one of their photographers.

I'm not sure whether I have much sympathy for Stan. If you listen to the fabulous Magic Sponge Podcast Barry Fry Episode you realise that there was a sustained programme of fraud against HMRC that could seriously impact almost everyone of the people that worked so diligently for the club then (when Barry came to claim his pension they claimed he hadn't worked for the entire time he was at Barnet - fortunately Bazza's wife had kept all of his payslips that showed that the club had 'paid' NI. But as he said, those coming up to pensionable age and havn't got their payslips will struggle to get their full pension for any time they worked at Barnet FC).

There is a big difference between 'cheeky chappie' and a lot of the seemingly quite dark things that went on, and that certainly includes taking this club to the precipice. Also #FuckYouWalsall
Fortunately until we joined the FL Barry was almost the only full time employee of the club so it will only be a 2 year period ex players and staff will suffer a shortfall in their pension.
rudebwoyben

jerroll wrote:
MCB wrote:
hoofer2 wrote: Taking the club to the brink is inexcusable and it's clear that managing finances of a football club in the way you ran a ticket brokerage would catch up with you, but what a time to be a Bees fan.
The football was sublime at time, the terraces thriving and players who knew what it meant to perform in a bees shirt.

All to provoke a response that was to be photographed and made into the infamous "Ban Fat Stan Poster" that was circulated in it's thousands and papered onto
a huge mobile billboard, motivation to sell papers rather than genuinely care about Barnet FC.

At the time I was one of many caught up in the mania, upset that the club was brought to the brink after our most successful season in history and took pleasure
in having the poster on my wall. But on reflection part of me feels ashamed that I made a small contribution to the Sun's hate campaign against an individual who played a big part in
bringing seasons of football joy that will never be bettered. We had every right to be angry and protest, shame it was hijacked by the Sun,
Surely Brian Ayres would have full-time too?!

All good points, I still have my Ban Fat Stan Poster. But that came around after he assaulted one of their photographers.

I'm not sure whether I have much sympathy for Stan. If you listen to the fabulous Magic Sponge Podcast Barry Fry Episode you realise that there was a sustained programme of fraud against HMRC that could seriously impact almost everyone of the people that worked so diligently for the club then (when Barry came to claim his pension they claimed he hadn't worked for the entire time he was at Barnet - fortunately Bazza's wife had kept all of his payslips that showed that the club had 'paid' NI. But as he said, those coming up to pensionable age and havn't got their payslips will struggle to get their full pension for any time they worked at Barnet FC).

There is a big difference between 'cheeky chappie' and a lot of the seemingly quite dark things that went on, and that certainly includes taking this club to the precipice. Also #FuckYouWalsall
Fortunately until we joined the FL Barry was almost the only full time employee of the club so it will only be a 2 year period ex players and staff will suffer a shortfall in their pension.
jerroll

rudebwoyben wrote:
jerroll wrote:
MCB wrote:

Surely Brian Ayres would have full-time too?!

Brian would have been but I'm sure I heard he's no longer with us.
alexbach

timbee wrote:Curiosity got the better of me so a few minutes hunting around reveals that this was 1962 and the score was 4-4 in front of 61,749. Scorers were Cliff Jones (2), Dave Mackay & John White and David Court (2), Johnny Macleod & Geoff Strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coincidence.Image library book I'm reading"When footballers were skint" mentions that very game as it was cliff Jones Tottenham debutImagetells a good yarn does Cliff

Sent from my 5033X using Tapatalk
amberforever

Don’t know if a Spurs officianado can help me but I went to Tottenham v Stoke somewhere around 62 to 64 and saw Jimmy Greaves, Terry Venables, Alan Gilzean and possibly Dave Mackay play. A great match to watch. Anyone have any idea on the details of the match?
timbee

amberforever wrote:Don’t know if a Spurs officianado can help me but I went to Tottenham v Stoke somewhere around 62 to 64 and saw Jimmy Greaves, Terry Venables, Alan Gilzean and possibly Dave Mackay play. A great match to watch. Anyone have any idea on the details of the match?
This might help narrow things down.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/tottenham-h ... ke%20City/

Look up, look up, look up now,
It's a long way down
2002-3 Prediction League Champion
amberforever

Many thanks for that timbee. Wish I could remember the score then I could pinpoint it. Will do some research on the probable year. I’m sure Greavsie scored!
timbee

amberforever wrote:Many thanks for that timbee. Wish I could remember the score then I could pinpoint it. Will do some research on the probable year. I’m sure Greavsie scored!
You’re welcome. Good luck!

Look up, look up, look up now,
It's a long way down
2002-3 Prediction League Champion
StephenM

amberforever wrote:Many thanks for that timbee. Wish I could remember the score then I could pinpoint it. Will do some research on the probable year. I’m sure Greavsie scored!
Venables joined Spurs in 1966 so your original estimate will be too early if he definitely played.
amberforever

Thanks for that, yes definitely remember him playing so it’s 31st August 66. I love the old grounds. Remember almost being Underhill closeness to the pitch. They had old white panel fencing round the edge didn’t they. ?