Close season question

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Re: Close season question

Postby Tuesds » 13 May 2019, 18:05

Not sure if this was known/assumed already, but I see that Cheltenham’s announcement of their retained list today includes confirmation that Manny Duku has been placed on the transfer list.
Tuesds

Postby hoofer2 » 13 May 2019, 21:47

pgbee wrote:
Beesting wrote:Could see potentially Zak Ansah turning up here, scored buckets of goals for Hythe this season and has told them he is leaving, was a good prospect at Arsenal a few years ago and only 25.

Really? Having watched a playoff match from that league, I doubt it. A massive leap in pace an skill level...

One day we will unearth the next Andy Clarke
hoofer2

Postby hoofer2 » 14 May 2019, 11:06

Tuesds wrote:Not sure if this was known/assumed already, but I see that Cheltenham’s announcement of their retained list today includes confirmation that Manny Duku has been placed on the transfer list.

Clearly something happened on field / behind the scenes that John Still took exception to. Doubt we will see him in a Bees shirt
hoofer2

Postby ninestein » 14 May 2019, 11:30

JS is no longer here. A lot would depend on how Darren Currie interpreted the situation. Clearly he is capable of leading the line in this division. The fact is, he's only transfer listed, so a fee will be involved if anyone wants to take him. We would have to be absolutely sure that he's the right player before we splash out on him.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
ninestein

Postby jerroll » 14 May 2019, 11:52

ninestein wrote:JS is no longer here. A lot would depend on how Darren Currie interpreted the situation. Clearly he is capable of leading the line in this division. The fact is, he's only transfer listed, so a fee will be involved if anyone wants to take him. We would have to be absolutely sure that he's the right player before we splash out on him.

Depends if he's available on a free, Cheltenham may just want rid but aren't willing to pay up the rest of his contact similar to what we suspect is happening with some of our players who we foolishly gave 2 year deals to!!
jerroll

Postby becbee » 14 May 2019, 11:57

I remember that Duku objected to being substituted, which in fairness showed that he wanted to play. Clearly the issue is what he and JS said afterwards. None of us fans know that. What we do know is that Duku did well for us during his loan spell.
The issue really is whether Duku wants to return and whether the club believe that what happened was a one off incident between Duku and someone who is no longer at the club. I doubt the transfer fee would be high if Cheltenham want him off the payroll but obviously Jerroll makes a good point re his contract.
becbee

Postby BeeBoi1980 » 14 May 2019, 12:03

Mr Smart wrote:
mcleod23 wrote:
becbee wrote:We don't know the details. Is it really worth getting concerned about?

It will be when we're scrabbling around still into July trying to get our targets!

There is never any sign of being proactive (on / off the pitch). Part of the reason why our transfers have been so shite over the past few seasons.

From the surface it’s easy to feel that we hang around but if you speak to any agents or people who’ve worked at the club, we do do a lot of work from very early on.

The issue is that there are a lot of clubs at this level offering similar money and anybody half decent has several offers to mull over.

The agents purposely take it to the brink to get more money for their client.

Usually the early signings come about because somebody has some sort of link inside a club or a move has been discussed for months and months.

For example I was told this week that the reason we got Dave Tarpey was because Lee Cook is his agent. That personal relationship was what sealed the deal and our proximity to his home

There are so many variables in putting a deal together. Location and moving costs can be a huge factor

Still did his business early because he had personal relationships with pretty much most of the signings and they all lived in London so was able to line them up pretty quickly.

Keep this message saved, I feel you may have to roll it out several times this summer. I think its a very good post.
BeeBoi1980

Postby john dockers shorts » 14 May 2019, 12:34

I think most of us with a small amount of buisness acumen and a bit of using your head understand that it can't be easy to sign players as we are all in the same boat. So it will come down to contacts etc.

I assume that the club don't sit on their hands all summer it just ain't that straight forward.

Sensible post.
john dockers shorts

Postby ninestein » 14 May 2019, 15:04

Is it me, or is the deadline for the retained list a lot longer than it used to be for us in the EFL?
From what I gather, in the NL we have until 1st June to notify the league (and publish it one would assume).
In the FL, we around two weeks following the completion of fixtures.
Not that it makes a lot of difference, it's just making for a quiet May news feed.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
ninestein

Postby MCB » 14 May 2019, 15:08

Why is there a deadline? I just assumed contracts end 30th June, and its' logical to get it sorted out as soon as possible at the end of the season for all parties. Am I wrong?
MCB

Postby Mr Smart » 14 May 2019, 15:46

I’d assume is that it guarantees a player a month’s notice. I’m sure most players know if they’re going but some clubs have absolute arseholes running them who could easily string a player along who then finds they are being released after all and no time to get another club before their last wage is paid
Mr Smart

Postby Ajtheone04 » 14 May 2019, 16:30

Duku only got 4 goals in his loan spell and two of them were in 1 match. Is he really the sort of big man we need. I'd prefer someone with physicality over mobility and a good finish
Ajtheone04

Postby MCB » 14 May 2019, 16:34

Mr Smart wrote:I’d assume is that it guarantees a player a month’s notice. I’m sure most players know if they’re going but some clubs have absolute arseholes running them who could easily string a player along who then finds they are being released after all and no time to get another club before their last wage is paid

Which is why TK has publicly said he doesn't announce signings until they have been paid by their old club for the last month. So if the players are contracted up to end of June, they won't be announced until paid June wages (so will be announced 28th June or something, even if agreed and signed a month earlier) as some clubs obviously just won't pay their players if they know they have another club.
MCB

Postby Norfolkbee » 15 May 2019, 14:18

Ajtheone04 wrote:Duku only got 4 goals in his loan spell and two of them were in 1 match. Is he really the sort of big man we need. I'd prefer someone with physicality over mobility and a good finish

Francois Zoko has been released by Yeovil. He would seem a better option than Duku.
Norfolkbee

Postby becbee » 15 May 2019, 16:42

Norfolkbee wrote:
Ajtheone04 wrote:Duku only got 4 goals in his loan spell and two of them were in 1 match. Is he really the sort of big man we need. I'd prefer someone with physicality over mobility and a good finish

Francois Zoko has been released by Yeovil. He would seem a better option than Duku.

Francois Zoko certainly was good once, however last season he made 28 appearances for Yeovil and didn't score a single goal. He's been released by a club who don't think he's good enough for NL next season and he'll be 36 years old in September.
I'd prefer Manny Duku.
becbee

PreviousNext

Return to General Barnet Chat