Close season question

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Re: Close season question

Postby becbee » 10 May 2019, 08:40

We don't know the details. Is it really worth getting concerned about?
becbee

Postby Norfolkbee » 10 May 2019, 08:54

I just have the feeling that TK might just be a little more "hands on" with the signings and contracts this time around, taking into account the John Still experience. I think he might be a little bit reticent to say "here's your budget, spend it". There could be a bit more of the value for money about it and a few more second opinions sought on potential signings.
Norfolkbee

Postby NoMagRyan » 10 May 2019, 09:11

Mr Smart wrote:I had a chat with a friend of mine who works in the game and has watched us several times this season scouting certain players. I asked him what he thought of our team and what we needed. His opinion was that we are a really slow, sluggish team, EMC aside and won’t do anything unless we inject some pace. I looked over our team and he’s right. Our FBs aren’t particularly rapid, EMC is quick but you couldn’t say that about Sparkes or Wes who’s played on the left. Shaq isn’t slow but then he isn’t electric fast.

Makes me wonder that our lack of goals have come from not being able to stretch teams.

It is definitely a problem, one that will be helped by Vilhete coming back from injury
NoMagRyan

Postby mcleod23 » 10 May 2019, 09:23

becbee wrote:We don't know the details. Is it really worth getting concerned about?

It will be when we're scrabbling around still into July trying to get our targets!

There is never any sign of being proactive (on / off the pitch). Part of the reason why our transfers have been so shite over the past few seasons.
mcleod23

Postby rudebwoyben » 10 May 2019, 10:08

mcleod23 wrote:
becbee wrote:We don't know the details. Is it really worth getting concerned about?

It will be when we're scrabbling around still into July trying to get our targets!

There is never any sign of being proactive (on / off the pitch). Part of the reason why our transfers have been so shite over the past few seasons.

I’m not sure that signing players early necessarily equals a good season. Some of our key players for 14/15 were signed pretty late on in pre-season.
rudebwoyben

Postby becbee » 10 May 2019, 10:57

rudebwoyben wrote:
mcleod23 wrote:

I’m not sure that signing players early necessarily equals a good season. Some of our key players for 14/15 were signed pretty late on in pre-season.

And by the same token, John Still made most of his signings in June.
It's who we sign that matters, not when we sign them.
becbee

Postby Mr Smart » 10 May 2019, 11:49

mcleod23 wrote:

From the surface it’s easy to feel that we hang around but if you speak to any agents or people who’ve worked at the club, we do do a lot of work from very early on.

The issue is that there are a lot of clubs at this level offering similar money and anybody half decent has several offers to mull over.

The agents purposely take it to the brink to get more money for their client.

Usually the early signings come about because somebody has some sort of link inside a club or a move has been discussed for months and months.

For example I was told this week that the reason we got Dave Tarpey was because Lee Cook is his agent. That personal relationship was what sealed the deal and our proximity to his home

There are so many variables in putting a deal together. Location and moving costs can be a huge factor

Still did his business early because he had personal relationships with pretty much most of the signings and they all lived in London so was able to line them up pretty quickly.
Mr Smart

Postby hoofer2 » 10 May 2019, 13:01

mcleod23 wrote:

How can you possibly know what DC, TK etc. are doing at this very second? I am sure that focus is already on next season and calls have already started.
It's not even June yet and all are entitled to a holiday,
hoofer2

Postby mcleod23 » 10 May 2019, 14:08

Not professing to know, just my opinion from the outside and from what I've heard through various channels.

For me the one basic thing we don't do is pay a premium for a couple of players that are shit hot. Sometimes you just have to rather than let them slip through the net and go elsewhere. Would be great to make an 'intent' signing (not Adam Rooney scale), but somewhere we've all heard of, not Truro FC's right winger who we hope will come good in 5 years.
mcleod23

Postby pgbee » 10 May 2019, 16:34

mcleod23 wrote:Not professing to know, just my opinion from the outside and from what I've heard through various channels.

For me the one basic thing we don't do is pay a premium for a couple of players that are shit hot. Sometimes you just have to rather than let them slip through the net and go elsewhere. Would be great to make an 'intent' signing (not Adam Rooney scale), but somewhere we've all heard of, not Truro FC's right winger who we hope will come good in 5 years.

We often pay a premium for a couple of players that are sh1t !! :-)
pgbee

Postby Norfolkbee » 10 May 2019, 16:49

pgbee wrote:
mcleod23 wrote:Not professing to know, just my opinion from the outside and from what I've heard through various channels.

We often pay a premium for a couple of players that are sh1t !! :-)

"You pays your money and takes your chance," as the old saying goes. The club should never be put off making an "intent" signing on the off chance he might be shite.
Norfolkbee

Postby #Beebot » 12 May 2019, 20:40

Rhys Murphy has turned down a new contract at Chelmsford to sign for a National League club. Could quite possibly be us.
#Beebot

Postby Beesting » 13 May 2019, 15:53

Could see potentially Zak Ansah turning up here, scored buckets of goals for Hythe this season and has told them he is leaving, was a good prospect at Arsenal a few years ago and only 25.
Beesting

Postby pgbee » 13 May 2019, 16:00

Beesting wrote:Could see potentially Zak Ansah turning up here, scored buckets of goals for Hythe this season and has told them he is leaving, was a good prospect at Arsenal a few years ago and only 25.

Really? Having watched a playoff match from that league, I doubt it. A massive leap in pace an skill level...
pgbee

Postby #Beebot » 13 May 2019, 16:03

pgbee wrote:
Beesting wrote:Could see potentially Zak Ansah turning up here, scored buckets of goals for Hythe this season and has told them he is leaving, was a good prospect at Arsenal a few years ago and only 25.

Really? Having watched a playoff match from that league, I doubt it. A massive leap in pace an skill level...

Ansah was considered a decent prospect at Arsenal and I'm surprised he's stayed at that level for as long as he has. I'm generally wary of players from that far down but he was schooled at the top level so could potentially be very useful here. I am sure that his next step is at or around this level of football.

Also, Barham was scoring at that level and has been fine in the NL and he did not have a pro academy background.
#Beebot

PreviousNext

Return to General Barnet Chat