Close season question

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
northantsbee

Re: Close season question

We need a goal-scoring midfielder, someone like James Armson of Brackley who has scored 45 goals over the past 3 seasons.

As for a striker, Colby Bishop at Leamington may be worth looking at, 22 years old and 21 league goals this season for Leamington in the NLN or Kabongo Tshimanga, 21 years old from NLS side Oxford City, 29 goals in all competitions this season, including a hat trick against Tranmere in the FA Cup
Going Indieground 7pm Tuesday, https://www.madwaspradio.com/
Tuesds

Picking up the thread on possible candidates to take on the mantle of the summer star striker signing from Byron Harrison, some suggestions:

Lee Angol (Shrewbury) - under contract but out of favour at the Shrews. Rumoured to be interest from Grimsby, who've tried to sign him previously. He's played a lot of football locally, with successful loan spells as a teenager at Hendon and Boreham Wood.

Unless they just missed each other, I think he might have been a team mate of Currie's at Hendon for a while - does anyone know? If he was, perhaps a way in there?

Anyway, he's tall, fast and has scored goals in League One (11 in 33 for Posh a couple of years ago) as well as lots during those loan spells in non league as a youngster.

JJ Hooper - Released by Grimsby. Missed a sitter at The Hive on Easter Monday, but other than that was lethal for Bromley during his loan spell there. 14 goals in 23 games, I think, and a better goals-per-minute record than Danny Rowe or Macauley Bonne, for example.

Alex Revell - Don't think Stevenage have announced their retained list yet so I don't know if he's being offered a contract, but I think his current one is up, and if what we want is a genuine target man then he fits the bill. He'll be 36 by the start of next season, mind you.
Psycho

I think Danny Kedwell is a more realistic target. He's an absolute goal machine in the Grazioli mould. He's never been a pacy striker and like Revell he'd be 36 in August I think. A one-year deal would be sensible even if his wages are fairly high (but nowhere near Tarpey's? :?: )
Norfolkbee

Ryan Tafazolli is a big centre-back released by Posh. Could be one ti fill a key position. Must be better than some we've had of late.
magiovinium_bee

MCB wrote:
becbee wrote:
Scott Rendell is 32 years old, only 7 goals this season and I thought that by his standards he had 2 quiet games against us. However he was playing in a very poor Aldershot side where he doubtless lacked service so it's hard to judge. Maybe a short term deal?
Aldershot fans are desperate to get rid of him irrespective of what league they find themselves next year. Come on people, be creative, him, Afinfenwa, or players that had shite seasons in this league are not the way forward.

In each season we've been promoted, we had in Bull (& Carter & Murphy), Graz & Akinde strikers that were in great form, had had great seasons in the conference the seaosn before (I imagine all hit 20 league goals?) so why not look at strikers in this league or NLS that might come to us:

So we're not going to get Macauley Bonne or Adam Rooney, and we may not get Daniel Rowe as so Northern.

BUT - Paul McCallum - 25 years old? We've got our connections there and Eastleigh's money from Steward Donald is due to run out, so if they don't get promoted.. Michael Cheek is ours if we want him.

Similarly in the Conference South, we won't be signing any Torquay players, but Darren Currie has worked with Rhys Murphy before (I know nothing about him).

I know nothing about Kabongo Tshimanga at Oxford City, but he's 21, hit 36 goals this season and was Supporters, Players and Manager’s Player of the year.

So i'm largely looking at stats, but I genuinely think Akinfenwa offers less than Lee Trundle. Anyone have thoughts on below?

Conference Top Scorers

27 ROWE, DANIEL AFC Fylde Goal (23) Penalty (4)
26 MCCALLUM, PAUL Eastleigh Goal (24) Penalty (2)
23 BONNE, MACAULEY Leyton Orient Goal (17) Penalty (6)
21 BODEN, SCOTT DAVID Chesterfield & Gateshead (11) Goal (17) Penalty (4)
21 ROONEY, ADAM Salford City Goal (19) Penalty (2)
16 CHEEK, MICHAEL Ebbsfleet United Goal (14) Penalty (2)
15 MULDOON, JONATHAN Harrogate Town Goal (13) Penalty (2)
15 RUTHERFORD, ALFIE Havant & Waterlooville Goal (15) Penalty (0)

Conference South
29 REID, JAMIE Torquay United Goal (26) Penalty (3)
25 MURPHY, RHYS Chelmsford City Goal (22) Penalty (3)
24 TSHIMANGA, KABONGO Oxford City Goal (20) Penalty (4)
23 HARVEY, TYLER Truro City Goal (19) Penalty (4)
21 WALL, ALEX Concord Rangers Goal (21) Penalty (0)
I’ve watched Tyler Harvey at Truro City several times this season. Worth noting that he got all those goals in a relegated team, he is talented no doubt, has a decent touch and is a reasonable size physically but I’ve never ever thought ‘wow I wish the Bees had him’.
Mem Beespod

I had a chat with a friend of mine who works in the game and has watched us several times this season scouting certain players. I asked him what he thought of our team and what we needed. His opinion was that we are a really slow, sluggish team, EMC aside and won’t do anything unless we inject some pace. I looked over our team and he’s right. Our FBs aren’t particularly rapid, EMC is quick but you couldn’t say that about Sparkes or Wes who’s played on the left. Shaq isn’t slow but then he isn’t electric fast.

Makes me wonder that our lack of goals have come from not being able to stretch teams.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
Norfolkbee

magiovinium_bee wrote:
MCB wrote:
becbee wrote:
Scott Rendell is 32 years old, only 7 goals this season and I thought that by his standards he had 2 quiet games against us. However he was playing in a very poor Aldershot side where he doubtless lacked service so it's hard to judge. Maybe a short term deal?
Aldershot fans are desperate to get rid of him irrespective of what league they find themselves next year. Come on people, be creative, him, Afinfenwa, or players that had shite seasons in this league are not the way forward.

In each season we've been promoted, we had in Bull (& Carter & Murphy), Graz & Akinde strikers that were in great form, had had great seasons in the conference the seaosn before (I imagine all hit 20 league goals?) so why not look at strikers in this league or NLS that might come to us:

So we're not going to get Macauley Bonne or Adam Rooney, and we may not get Daniel Rowe as so Northern.

BUT - Paul McCallum - 25 years old? We've got our connections there and Eastleigh's money from Steward Donald is due to run out, so if they don't get promoted.. Michael Cheek is ours if we want him.

Similarly in the Conference South, we won't be signing any Torquay players, but Darren Currie has worked with Rhys Murphy before (I know nothing about him).

I know nothing about Kabongo Tshimanga at Oxford City, but he's 21, hit 36 goals this season and was Supporters, Players and Manager’s Player of the year.

So i'm largely looking at stats, but I genuinely think Akinfenwa offers less than Lee Trundle. Anyone have thoughts on below?

Conference Top Scorers

27 ROWE, DANIEL AFC Fylde Goal (23) Penalty (4)
26 MCCALLUM, PAUL Eastleigh Goal (24) Penalty (2)
23 BONNE, MACAULEY Leyton Orient Goal (17) Penalty (6)
21 BODEN, SCOTT DAVID Chesterfield & Gateshead (11) Goal (17) Penalty (4)
21 ROONEY, ADAM Salford City Goal (19) Penalty (2)
16 CHEEK, MICHAEL Ebbsfleet United Goal (14) Penalty (2)
15 MULDOON, JONATHAN Harrogate Town Goal (13) Penalty (2)
15 RUTHERFORD, ALFIE Havant & Waterlooville Goal (15) Penalty (0)

Conference South
29 REID, JAMIE Torquay United Goal (26) Penalty (3)
25 MURPHY, RHYS Chelmsford City Goal (22) Penalty (3)
24 TSHIMANGA, KABONGO Oxford City Goal (20) Penalty (4)
23 HARVEY, TYLER Truro City Goal (19) Penalty (4)
21 WALL, ALEX Concord Rangers Goal (21) Penalty (0)
I’ve watched Tyler Harvey at Truro City several times this season. Worth noting that he got all those goals in a relegated team, he is talented no doubt, has a decent touch and is a reasonable size physically but I’ve never ever thought ‘wow I wish the Bees had him’.
Murphy has been released by Chelmsford.
Tuesds

Tuesds wrote:
Lee Angol (Shrewbury) - ...

Unless they just missed each other, I think he might have been a team mate of Currie's at Hendon for a while - does anyone know? If he was, perhaps a way in there?
You can all stop wondering about this now; yes, DC and LA were indeed team mates back in early 2013.

Done deal.

I forgot to mention in my comments about him above that Angol played a part in Lincoln's promotion from the Conference a couple of years back, with 6 goals in a successful 13-match loan spell.

Or Rhys Murphy. He looks good too. He's Darren Currie's other best mate, having worked with him at Dagenham when Currie was Assistant Manager and Murphy was a hotshot striker.
mcleod23

This is all assuming we actually have anyone deciding / invested in these decisions at present.

No permanent managerial announcement yet.
BeeDeceived

mcleod23 wrote:This is all assuming we actually have anyone deciding / invested in these decisions at present.

Why does there need to be another announcement of Darren Currie?

"Breaking - Barnet Head Coach Darren Currie confirmed as Barnet Head Coach"

He signed a rolling deal, he's said himself that a rolling deal suits him. I'd take it as DC is the boss and move on.
ninestein

Stuart Sinclair released by Bristol Rovers. Tenacious midfielder with big beard. Got promoted with them out of this division.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
John_c

mcleod23 wrote:This is all assuming we actually have anyone deciding / invested in these decisions at present.

Clubs twitter said there was no announcement to make as he's on a rolling contract.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
mcleod23

Can't see how that helps anyone a rolling contract. TK won't give the funds and commitment if the rolling deal is there.

We never seem to learn on managerial appointments.
BeeDeceived

mcleod23 wrote:Can't see how that helps anyone a rolling contract. TK won't give the funds and commitment if the rolling deal is there.

We never seem to learn on managerial appointments.
Why not? When Rossi and Henry were in temporary charge, he fully splashed the cash that winter.
mcleod23

For me gives no full backing to Currie. Either you want a manager or you don't.

Not sure how it suits Currie either. He could be sacked after 10 games with zero payout.