H&W (a) The Havant Stopped Dancing Yet Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Tuesds

Re: H&W (a) The Havant Stopped Dancing Yet Match Thread

All those people who insisted we were deep in relegation trouble and were extremely cross when anyone dared mention that we had games in hand must be ecstatic that we finished as high as 13th place, having secured our safety with weeks to spare!
pletch99

Thought Jack Barham was outstanding today and the Havant fans I was stood next to thought so too. It's a bit if a mystery why we've not seen much of him lately - in my view he was man of the match against Barrow at the start of March and has barely played since. Anyone know whether he has been injured?

I thought the assistants referees were terrible today - got a lot wrong. I felt sorry for Akinola when he goal was chalked off. He's had a pretty miserable season and that was a chance to go out on a high note. I was right in line on the edge of the area and I am certain he was onside.
jdmckbee

Tuesds wrote:All those people who insisted we were deep in relegation trouble and were extremely cross when anyone dared mention that we had games in hand must be ecstatic that we finished as high as 13th place, having secured our safety with weeks to spare!
Yes it's a great achievement to finish 13th in the National League for a club like ours. Something the club can be very proud of......I don't think.
We're the West Bank Underhill......
becbee

Tuesds wrote:All those people who insisted we were deep in relegation trouble and were extremely cross when anyone dared mention that we had games in hand must be ecstatic that we finished as high as 13th place, having secured our safety with weeks to spare!
On 26th Feb we were 2 points above the drop zone. Yes we had 5 matches in hand, however matches in hand are of no use unless you take points from them.
Yes, we pulled away from the relegation zone - but that was more to do with the bottom 4 being so much worse than the rest of the league than the performances of the teams immediately above them.
Yes, we finished as high as 13th, I'm very pleased. However, that's ultimately thanks to our win yesterday at the poorest side I've seen all season, a team who completely fluffed 3-4 clear sitters. Had H&W been semi competent , we'd most likely not have won yesterday and would have finished 17th.
antbfc

this has been a dreadful league season, we have finished possibly in the lowest position in my lifetime.

Glad it's over, get rid of the dross, get rid of the injury prone and move on.
Psycho

I'm ecstatic with yet another bottom half finish to end another season. But we played well yesterday and the team showed its potential albeit against woeful opposition. Talking to some of their fans in the first half, they said that being part-time caught up with them and once their injuries started in January the results deteriated badly.

Havant was nowhere near as bad a town as it was 18 years ago. In fact with the pub by the ground and some leafy areas, it was one of the nicer away trips. I guess these places always look more pleasant when all the leaves are on the trees and it's light!
ETBee

The Solent Radio commentators were also very impressed with Barham, not so much with Coulthirst. They also felt that if it were not for our cup runs we would have been in the play offs.

Did we spend the game passing the ball sideways and backwards as in recent games or were we more positive yesterday?
becbee

The NLP have Jack Barham in their NL Team of the Day.
LoudmouthBFC

Havant & Waterlooville F.C. 0 v Barnet F.C. 2 | Get it right next Season! | GAMEDAY! Vlog (27/04/19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-pGltSIzLo
Valter E

Thanks for the Vlogs this season!
LoudmouthBFC

Valter E wrote:Thanks for the Vlogs this season!
:hi: Thank you for watching
amberforever

LoudmouthBFC wrote:
Definitely retained for next season!
amberforever

LoudmouthBFC wrote:
Definitely retained for next season!
letchbee94

Was nice to end with a win, we was much better second half.
Would like to see Barham at the club as well next season.
Busy summer for Darren now.
COYBs
Tuesds

becbee wrote:
On 26th Feb we were 2 points above the drop zone. Yes we had 5 matches in hand, however matches in hand are of no use unless you take points from them.
Yes, we pulled away from the relegation zone - but that was more to do with the bottom 4 being so much worse than the rest of the league than the performances of the teams immediately above them.
Yes, we finished as high as 13th, I'm very pleased. However, that's ultimately thanks to our win yesterday at the poorest side I've seen all season, a team who completely fluffed 3-4 clear sitters. Had H&W been semi competent , we'd most likely not have won yesterday and would have finished 17th.
Yes, and if it wasn’t for a dodgy late penalty for Borehamwood or not getting a clear late penalty vs Hartlepool or x, y and z we’d have been 12th or higher. Personally, I think 13th is poor and very disappointing overall. However, just a couple of months ago I was reading numerous comments (from a minority, of course) that the club was in a downward spiral, that we were heading for relegation, that Darren Currie should be sacked, that anyone denying that all was doom and gloom had their heads in the sand, that there were parallels with last season, that games in hand mean nothing etc...

And all this as a new manager, a club hero on the pitch, led us to our greatest FA Cup run in our 131 year history and to the brink of the Trophy semi final, despite a dreadful injury crisis.

While 13th is far from brilliant, maybe it’s also the case that things weren’t so irredeemably dreadful back in February. And maybe that new manager and the team deserved a bit of backing. Which of course they got from the majority of fans.

I’m well aware that no-one’s going to be turning cartwheels at 13th, it just struck me that if you really were convinced we were deep in a relegation battle in early March, you might be quite chipper at finishing 13th in late April.