Wrexham (Hive) The Sheep Learning Curve Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
barnet34

Re: Wrexham (Hive) The Sheep Learning Curve Match Thread

Jsaffs wrote:Hi all
I’m new on the forum. Been a Barnet fan for nearly 40 years starting to watch them just before the fry/Flashman era...I was there for a 0-7 home defeat by Enfield in the fa cup back in the eighties!!! You know it is really bad when that happens
Don’t go much now as I live abroad but was over this weekend so took both my kids to watch and at least they had a nice day out (tickets for 1£, sunshine, shirts for £7.

I thought how nice

Then had to watch the game. And honestly I dont mind seeing my team beaten by a better side as long as they put in a shift but yesterday there was nothing. No leadership, no one on the pitch taking the lead, no animation from the bench apart from some pointless screaming and the players just looked bored and were too busy complaining to the ref, bench, each other or just trying to look pretty to actually compete

I was shocked by how flat it was and feel sorry for all of you having to watch that all year
Quite frankly I saw nothing that made me feel like any of them should stay. Shaq will always score goals, boucard was great going sideways, Sweeney when he could be bothered looked decent and Tarpey looked busy when he came on but that apart it was ugly slow pedestrian holiday football

Maybe the players pay should reflect results and attendances and then when no one turns up for pointless end of season games for the season they created they will get paid nothing rather than taking our money and turning out that dross

They may care but show it. Where was the hendo crunching tackle to wind up the opposition? Where was a crunching centre half smashing through their centre forward ? Where was our aggression in centre midfield and where was the battling up top?

Sad day for me as a lifelong Barnet fan to see such apathy from a team wearing the black and amber
With respect I take your point, however you have to factor in the fact that we have played twice a week for the last 11 weeks, far more than anyone else.
Now that were safe there was always that chance that they would take their foot off the pedal, you just chose the wrong game unfortunately. On a more positive note Santos could be immense for us next season, At his best he is way above national league level.
letchbee94

#Beebot wrote:
ETBee wrote:We spent 80% of the time we had the ball passing it sideways and backwards.
No change there then. I like Currie but he needs to move us away from this style of football. No team has been promoted out of this league playing like this.
Get used it, I get the feeling this is the way Darren wants us to play.
BeesKnees99

letchbee94 wrote:
#Beebot wrote:
ETBee wrote:We spent 80% of the time we had the ball passing it sideways and backwards.
No change there then. I like Currie but he needs to move us away from this style of football. No team has been promoted out of this league playing like this.
Get used it, I get the feeling this is the way Darren wants us to play.
DC categorically criticises this kind of play in his post match interviews. He likes to dominate the ball, but he has said he wants more penetration.

Having said that...

I watched the highlights, and my God was their winning goal absolutely shambolic from our point of view.

One flicked on header from a goal kick, and four of our defenders were scrambling around like headless chickens, Cousins in no mans land, absolutely dire defending.

Reynolds has got to go. Sweeney needs to recapture his form if he stays, which I think is unlikely at this point.

And Cousins has got to be released. It’s all well and good being a decent shot stopper, but that’s only
one facet of the job. The guy’s positioning, especially when balls come into the box, is consistently wrong.

Agree with the new poster here - there is a fundamental lack of bite in this squad that will hold us back from gaining any proper success next season unless we:

- Sign a couple of experienced, passionate old school players to counterbalance the youthful naivety
- Get a proper RB for god’s sake
- Release the dead wood, of which there is plenty

That would certainly be a start.
becbee

Eastleigh away was a definite case of us retaining possession for much of the second half, just passing between each other, only eventually making a forward move. DC praised it. But of course, we didn't complain because we won the match. And conserving our efforts seemed fair enough when we were playing twice every week.
Doing it when we weren't not in a winning position that we get frustrated. Even worse when we're actually losing at home to a distinctly average looking side.
letchbee94

Just like yesterday we do pass the ball well but just not quick enough at times when attacking.

Someone said Sweeney had ice pack on him after he went off, just a caution I presume?
Jsaffs

Hey barnet34 I do hope you are right mate!! And yes I appreciate it was end of season nothingness

Santos looked solid and would love to see him bully players around him ... on both sides

Looked like we needed a verbal and physical leader so maybe he could be the one
LoudmouthBFC

Barnet F.C. 1 v Wrexham A.F.C. 2 | Short back and sideways | GAMEDAY! Vlog (13/04/19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoSdZMn8x4Y
alexbach

BBC can now write R next to the bottom four,but that's Been the case for weeks.contrast....playoffs is free range.I still believe the seventh placed side should not go into the football league

Sent from my 5033X using Tapatalk
mcleod23

Its all very well passing the damn thing all game but if we don't create & score goals, its limited.

Cast your mind back to Davids style in the Conf. We could pass all day long, it was one of the most boring periods to watch. I remember Alfreton away being one of those days.

It's commendable we're trying to 'play the right way' but a major question of him will be when the pitches get boggy in Nov - Jan, do we have the plan b / c to mix it. You earn your money when you go to places like Halifax on probably the worst pitch in the league and get a result. I'm not convinced I can see that at present.

It goes back to players we need to bring in. Not anymore more luxury No.10 players (Fonguck, J Taylor, Elito) - players like Charlie Lee / Craig Clay at Orient.
CambsBee

Unfortunately, I don't get to as many games as I would like now due to family commitments and distance but have been a few times this season and a couple of things struck me about the "relationships" between a few of the players on Saturday. Not sure what people think but.....

Boucard - Reynolds - Boucard appeared to be having a go at Reynolds from the first minute, I didn't notice him going in as hard on any other player

Sweeney - H Taylor - In the second half, Harry looked to be wanting to have the ball played to him to run onto, I know there are differing views as to his effectiveness on that side, but on numerous occasions, Sweeney appeared to look up see Harry calling for the ball and ignore him and play it along the back.

I don't come often enough to know whether this is the norm(!) and it is the first time I have seen Boucard, in the flesh, but following posts regarding the Champions reunited evening there does need to be a togetherness in the team if we are going to push for promotion next season

Just my observations and happy to be corrected :mellow:
dpa

Boring and frustrating first half and whilst the 2nd half was a little better, overall a very poor performance. We deserved nothing.

Wrexham were very poor too.

On top of that I was bloody freezing in the legends stand - that wind in the first half was bitter!

Some players didn't turn up on the day. I am not a fan of Harry Taylor and in the first half his drag backs and backward passing, when he had room to run with the ball, drove me nuts but to be fair to him, in the 2nd half he seemed to be one of the few who was trying but rarely given service.

One of the main things I noticed on Saturday was our lack of movement in the last 3rd - Tarpey not starting maybe a factor. Whenever the defence or Boucard got the ball no one was making speculative/ lateral movement to pull the defence about and make space for others. Very predictable and very easy to defend against.

Sweeney had a strange game. Big fan of his but didn't look like he was at the races.

Santos - will be immense for us next season (quality delivery for the goal) and I thought Johnson has one of his best games on the left. Never stopped running.