Leyton Orient (Hive) The Chicken Oriental Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
MCB

Re: Leyton Orient (Hive) The Chicken Oriental Match Thread

I enjoyed Orient fans filling the stand. It's nice to have an oyster card team we play semi regularly we don't resort to trying to create a false rivalry with.

Which begs the question - who would you rather stay down, them or Salford? Yes they could both go up. But Salford will bring a couple of hundred fans, be a pain to get to, and I imagine will continue to splash the cash.

So surely better for us next season if Salford go up? :unsure:
let_it_bee

I was quite apprehensive after Tuesday's lacklustre performance, but over the 90 minutes we were more than a match for them. I couldn't believe how much space we were finding in the first half. So used to teams in this league closing us down hard and denying space, but Orient didn't do that at all. Quite surprising in that respect that they are where they are, though clearly they're a decent footballing side.

Today was a clear illustration of the progress that's been made under DC. If we'd played that match around Christmas time they would have murdered us.

Sad to see our 2 best players go off injured, though credit to their replacements, who were both excellent. Shows there is a bit of depth in this squad and DC should perhaps have rotated things a bit more during such an intense period.

I agree though that the substitution of Alexander was completely unnecessary. He was doing fine, a bit ponderous at times (as usual) but no way did he deserve to be hauled off. Looks like a falling out between him and DC, as they appeared to snub each other as he came off. Personally I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as some make him out to be, and for me Taylor never looks comfortable at right back (he was doing fine where he was).

Of course we do need to sharpen up up front, and the Tarpey/Coulthirst combination doesn't seem to have gelled. It's hard to prosper in this league without a big number 9, but at the same time it would be a shame to see either of them go as they're both good players at this level - just perhaps not the right combination.
pgbee

MCB wrote:I enjoyed Orient fans filling the stand. It's nice to have an oyster card team we play semi regularly we don't resort to trying to create a false rivalry with.

Which begs the question - who would you rather stay down, them or Salford? Yes they could both go up. But Salford will bring a couple of hundred fans, be a pain to get to, and I imagine will continue to splash the cash.

With potentially Notts County, Torquay and Stockport County joining our league next year it's going to be difficult anyway so not sure it matters who goes up ideally both of them do.
CrawleyBee

MCB wrote:I enjoyed Orient fans filling the stand. It's nice to have an oyster card team we play semi regularly we don't resort to trying to create a false rivalry with.

Agreed decent set of fans, seemed a very pleasant bunch and were intent on trying to get wind us up, rather getting behind their team. Good luck to them. Great performance from us.
Formerly Watfordbee
Norfolkbee

I spent a fair while sitting outside the Hive before yesterday's game and was interested in listening to the Orient fans' reaction to THL. Most seemed really impressed, but for a couple is like "nice set-up but I would rather use the money to put a decent team on the pitch". Don't think they understood how it all works.
Last edited by Norfolkbee on 31 Mar 2019, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
#Beebot

Norfolkbee wrote:I spent a fair while sitting outside the Hive before yesterday's game and was interested in listening to the Orient fans' reaction to THL. Most seemed really impressed, but for a couple is like "nice set-up but I would rather use the money to put a decent team on the pitch".
To be fair that's what TK has tried to do over the past couple of years. We've just had a succession of poor managers who've squandered it.
becbee

Norfolkbee wrote:I spent a fair while sitting outside the Hive before yesterday's game and was interested in listening to the Orient fans' reaction to THL. Most seemed really impressed, but for a couple is like "nice set-up but I would rather use the money to put a decent team on the pitch". Don't think they understood how it all works.
If you were listening to their reaction upon arrival, then that's only half the story as you'd not have heard what they thought of the ground as viewed from the inside, including their stand and bar.

I suppose it could be argued that that's indeed how it's working at Solihull Moors!
barnet34

Stuart wrote:Andre B makes such a difference to this team as does Tarpey.

I know some on here would release Reynolds but he was very good today. And by the way,why are some people so anti Adams?

Santos calm and great positioning.
As per usual much less post's means we are doing well.It seems some people just want to have a rant and rave and start picking out individuals. Have to agree with you on Reynolds and Adams, would certainly be in my squad next season.
Norfolkbee

becbee wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:I spent a fair while sitting outside the Hive before yesterday's game and was interested in listening to the Orient fans' reaction to THL. Most seemed really impressed, but for a couple is like "nice set-up but I would rather use the money to put a decent team on the pitch". Don't think they understood how it all works.
If you were listening to their reaction upon arrival, then that's only half the story as you'd not have heard what they thought of the ground as viewed from the inside, including their stand and bar.

I suppose it could be argued that that's indeed how it's working at Solihull Moors!
I was actually referring to the fact that THL is a wider picture and BFC is just one cog in it. As for Solihull Moors, what happens if they aren't promoted? Will they come again next season?
mcleod23

Really enjoyed that yesterday, felt like a proper game. Good home support which makes such a difference.

Thought EMC and Reynolds were superb, best game I’ve seen our balloon head skipper play.

As aluded to, we need that physical presence / focal point. We can’t pass it through plan a every game. Orient have that option in their squad with Matt Harrold and Alabi - two of the type we have to get in next season.

Wes has gone off the boil in the last few months, probably backwards under Currie so will be interesting to see what we do in that position.

Cousins is a liability, that bloody back pass!!!. Boucaud looked good again, but pulling up injured - can we afford that given his injury record this season for next?

Santos was a man mountain. Forgot how big the bloke was.
To bee or not to bee

I’m wondering, now that we’re safe, if it’s worth trying Santos as the target man. He’s big and strong with some ball skills and wouldn’t be the first defender to be converted into a striker. Didn’t Dion Dublin start as a defender? Shaq can then revert to his best role, which in my opinion, is coming on as an impact sub.

Credit to Darren Currie for forging a team together out of the shambolic mess he inherited. Any good team is based on a good defence and we’ve definitely got that now.
becbee

I think we went off the boil in the league matches as a reaction to our cup exploits. Regardless, we look pretty much sorted out now.

If Boucard does have a 2 year contract ( as opposed to 1 year & 1 year option) then we have him next season regardless. I suspect it's been the playing 2 matches a week after being out for so long which was his problem yesterday, not necessarily a general lack of fitness. He played 44 and 41 matches for D&R in the past 2 seasons which suggests he's not a sick note.

No way do I want Santos as our target man, he's too valuable in defence. He can come up for corners though!
simmosenior

The stand out players for me yesterday were Boucaud, Harry Taylor and Reynolds in that order so I was very surprised to see that Wes, EMC and, I think, Tarpey, were the three choices for supporters' player of the match. Who makes the choice and, in this case, why?

Shaq was the only one who really disappointed. Was surprised when Alexander was hauled off; he was having one of his better games (bit of faint praise there).
LadyBee

simmosenior wrote:I was very surprised to see that Wes, EMC and, I think, Tarpey, were the three choices for supporters' player of the match. Who makes the choice and, in this case, why?
I didn't go to the presentation after the match, but can completely understand why it would have been those 3, given that it was the first Supporters' selection this season.

Wes always gives his all and is still our top league goalscorer, all he needs is a little more confidence. EMC has come on leaps and bounds in the last month or so, a much improved player. As for Tarpey I, for one, am delighted that he has made it back on our pitch after his injury, he's doing enough running for half a team, giving us hope and making matches entertaining again.
:eee:
LadyBee

simmosenior wrote:I was very surprised to see that Wes, EMC and, I think, Tarpey, were the three choices for supporters' player of the match. Who makes the choice and, in this case, why?
I didn't go to the presentation after the match, but can completely understand why it would have been those 3, given that it was the first Supporters' selection this season.

Wes always gives his all and is still our top league goalscorer, all he needs is a little more confidence. EMC has come on leaps and bounds in the last month or so, a much improved player. As for Tarpey I, for one, am delighted that he has made it back on our pitch after his injury, he's doing enough running for half a team, giving us hope and making matches entertaining again.