AFC Fyld£ (A) - The Trimmed FAT Cat Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
becbee

Re: AFC Fyld£ (A) - The Trimmed FAT Cat Match Thread

Maybe someone who was there might have an idea who were lined up to take the 4th and 5th penalties? Maybe not many fancied it so give credit if Reynolds said he'd take one but would rather get it over and done with so that was why he went first?

Whilst we'd expect Shaq to score, would it really have made any difference had he gone first? No guarantee he'd have scored. Even Akinde and Hendon missed occasionally. It's pure speculation.

At the end of the day, somebody had to miss. Penalties are a lottery.
becbee

Maybe someone who was there might have an idea who were lined up to take the 4th and 5th penalties? Maybe not many fancied it so give credit if Reynolds said he'd take one but would rather get it over and done with so that was why he went first?

Whilst we'd expect Shaq to score, would it really have made any difference had he gone first? No guarantee he'd have scored. Even Akinde and Hendon missed occasionally. It's pure speculation.

At the end of the day, somebody had to miss. Penalties are a lottery.
MCB

becbee wrote:Penalties are a lottery.
They are not a lottery? :?:

A lottery is sheer, utter luck, with no other influences.

Penalties can be practised. You can improve your chances of winning?

Practise your own. Research the opposition's penalty takers and goalkeeper?

I don't think there is any excuse for not in this day and age. With an hour I could have researched every Fylde player for where they put their penalties most of the time (answer - top corner seemingly).

Surely that's obvious?
StephenM

ETBee wrote:That would be stupid. You always have your best penalty takers take the first. Somebody should ask DC.
Hazard took Chelsea's 5th yesterday.
StephenM

Norfolk & Chance wrote:And who won?
Point was you don't necessarily have to put your best taker 1st.

2016 Champions League Final, Ronaldo took the 5th, and winning penalty.

Literally 100's of examples that can be used to support either argument. It's a pretty pointless argument.

We can now add order of penalty takers to the ever growing list of petty discussions over the past 6 months.
becbee

MCB wrote:
becbee wrote:Penalties are a lottery.
They are not a lottery? :?:

A lottery is sheer, utter luck, with no other influences.

Penalties can be practised. You can improve your chances of winning?

Practise your own. Research the opposition's penalty takers and goalkeeper?

I don't think there is any excuse for not in this day and age. With an hour I could have researched every Fylde player for where they put their penalties most of the time (answer - top corner seemingly).

Surely that's obvious?
If that were the case, why is it unusual for penalty shoot offs to go beyond the first 5 takers?
Players miss penalties. Keepers do save them but usually it's as much luck as anything.
I'm sure opposition researched John Akinde's penalties but they rarely stopped them.

Also I suspect that most teams use the same 1-2 players to take penalties and that it wouldn't have taken long to research every Fylde players penalties as most probably most of them haven't taken any ( other than maybe in previous penalty shoot outs).
Norfolk & Chance

StephenM wrote:
Norfolk & Chance wrote:And who won?
Point was you don't necessarily have to put your best taker 1st.

2016 Champions League Final, Ronaldo took the 5th, and winning penalty.

Literally 100's of examples that can be used to support either argument. It's a pretty pointless argument.

We can now add order of penalty takers to the ever growing list of petty discussions over the past 6 months.
Excellent!! :D

I am of the opinion that you must 100% defo score the first penalty from a psychological viewpoint.
Especially at our level.
The Real team was rather top heavy in world class players so I don't think it mattered quite so much but I get your point.

If you miss the first one, the pressure increases significantly more than is otherwise there. I wouldn't be at all surprised if stats showed that teams who miss the first penalty, also miss one or more of the following 4 more than those who score the first.

At our level, we absolutely should have had the best, most confident scorer on the pitch take the first one, imo.

We didn't, we're out of the trophy, we move on to the next game.
Tuesds

Can any of the Bees fans who were on the terrace behind the goal on Saturday explain how on earth Akinola's effort on the slide was cleared off the line rather than going in? On the highlights it looks like he's almost on the line as he connects with the ball, yet somehow it doesn't go in. Did he get an awkward connection e.g. off the side of his foot or his shin?

I know it won't change the result, but I'm having trouble coping with our exit, and I think understanding how the hell that didn't go in could be part of the acceptance process for me!
HertsBee

Tuesds wrote:Can any of the Bees fans who were on the terrace behind the goal on Saturday explain how on earth Akinola's effort on the slide was cleared off the line rather than going in? On the highlights it looks like he's almost on the line as he connects with the ball, yet somehow it doesn't go in. Did he get an awkward connection e.g. off the side of his foot or his shin?

I know it won't change the result, but I'm having trouble coping with our exit, and I think understanding how the hell that didn't go in could be part of the acceptance process for me!
I was to the left of the goal and quite staggered that Akinola missed. I think he thought he was going to score, but connected with the instep and sent the ball back towards the way it had come from. Barhams miss was just as bad, as having outpaced the defender and the Keeper advancing, it seemed easier to hit the net rather than poking it wide.
Norfolk & Chance

I'm not sure that will help Tuesds with his/her grieving process. It sure as hell didn't help me.
It seems to defy the laws of physics to slide into a ball to take it over the line but instead send the ball back the other way.
Thanks for the description anyway.
letchbee94

Don't know why people are complaining about us not asking for a replay, we only have ourselves to blame for a number of reasons.
1. We had enough chances to win the game on Saturday.
2. Had we of not surrendered a 3-1 lead at Carshalton in the previous round then this Tuesday would have been free meaning we most probably would have wanted the replay.
Tuesds

bee007 wrote:
Tuesds wrote:Can any of the Bees fans who were on the terrace behind the goal on Saturday explain how on earth Akinola's effort on the slide was cleared off the line rather than going in? On the highlights it looks like he's almost on the line as he connects with the ball, yet somehow it doesn't go in. Did he get an awkward connection e.g. off the side of his foot or his shin?

I was to the left of the goal and quite staggered that Akinola missed. I think he thought he was going to score, but connected with the instep and sent the ball back towards the way it had come from. Barhams miss was just as bad, as having outpaced the defender and the Keeper advancing, it seemed easier to hit the net rather than poking it wide.
Thanks - as Norfolk suspected, it hasn’t really helped, but I’m grateful nevertheless!