Page 1 of 1

Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019, 23:32
by Golf Delta
I went to Brentford v Stoke today as my mate had a spare freebie.
Apart from Ollie Watkins, I wasn't familiar with anyone in the Brentford team, although Dalsgaard played for Denmark in the World Cup while Stoke had Butland in goal, Ryan Shawcross, Joe Allen, Sam Clucas, Tom Ince, Saido Berahino and Benik Afobe in their team. But that meant nothing as Stoke mustered two measly shots all game, one went in and Brentford outclassed them in all departments, had 16 shots and won easily 3-1. It could easily have been more. Crouchy came on with 10 mins to go but was too little too late.

Briefly then, Brentford are a very young and athletic team, play with pace and directness and if they put out a similar team against us, we would find it very difficult to cope with the speed and accuracy of their passing and movement. Their main man is central midfielder Romaine Sawyers who was simply outstanding. He directed everything, he controlled everything and he created everything. His languid style reminded me of Dwayne Lee, only a million times better. He's a superb player and one to watch out for. They play a 3-5-1-1 formation with Watkins behind Maupay up front. He's scored 15 this season but was a bit isolated today.

I'd be surprised if Brentford made many changes against us but even their subs who came looked equally as lively as the ones they replaced. We are going to have to play our AAA game to beat them, I honestly think their pace, movement, speed and accuracy of their passing will be too much for us. They looked a very useful outfit but as we know, anything can happen in the Cup and not taking anything away from the Sheff U game, but they made ten changes and suffered for it, I don't think Brentford will do the same, so expect a very tough game.

Re: Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 09:12
by John_c
Golf Delta wrote:I went to Brentford v Stoke today as my mate had a spare freebie.
Apart from Ollie Watkins, I wasn't familiar with anyone in the Brentford team, although Dalsgaard played for Denmark in the World Cup while Stoke had Butland in goal, Ryan Shawcross, Joe Allen, Sam Clucas, Tom Ince, Saido Berahino and Benik Afobe in their team. But that meant nothing as Stoke mustered two measly shots all game, one went in and Brentford outclassed them in all departments, had 16 shots and won easily 3-1. It could easily have been more. Crouchy came on with 10 mins to go but was too little too late.

Briefly then, Brentford are a very young and athletic team, play with pace and directness and if they put out a similar team against us, we would find it very difficult to cope with the speed and accuracy of their passing and movement. Their main man is central midfielder Romaine Sawyers who was simply outstanding. He directed everything, he controlled everything and he created everything. His languid style reminded me of Dwayne Lee, only a million times better. He's a superb player and one to watch out for. They play a 3-5-1-1 formation with Watkins behind Maupay up front. He's scored 15 this season but was a bit isolated today.

I'd be surprised if Brentford made many changes against us but even their subs who came looked equally as lively as the ones they replaced. We are going to have to play our AAA game to beat them, I honestly think their pace, movement, speed and accuracy of their passing will be too much for us. They looked a very useful outfit but as we know, anything can happen in the Cup and not taking anything away from the Sheff U game, but they made ten changes and suffered for it, I don't think Brentford will do the same, so expect a very tough game.


They've got a guy who played in the Word Cup finals...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 10:49
by ETBee
Sounds like I should hand back my ticket for the game!

Re: Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 12:01
by Norfolk & Chance
This can only be a good thing.
Brentford hit form, we play ok against lower opposition.
Expectations have been effectively managed !!

If Brentford lost yesterday and we won 6 nil we'd probably be planning for round 5.
We can play better, it's doubtful Brentford can, so hopefully they'll have a blip.

Re: Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 14:10
by Golf Delta
Norfolk & Chance wrote:We can play better, it's doubtful Brentford can, so hopefully they'll have a blip.


I'd agree with that. My mates who are season ticket holders at Brentford said that's the best they've played for ages. We'd certainly need to up our game and hope Brentford have an off day or a slightly weaker team. I'm not saying we don't have a chance, of course we do, but I think we'd need for a few things to go our way to get anything out of this.

Some pretty decent goals and efforts from yesterday....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh1gLfe4OpU

Re: Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 14:59
by Mikel Bee
Judging from that video, they play a lot like we do but much quicker.

Re: Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 15:30
by Golf Delta
Mikel Bee wrote:Judging from that video, they play a lot like we do but much quicker.


Yes, that's what I noticed about the game yesterday, the passing and movement was much quicker than what we are used to seeing. I know it's not rocket science, but I guess that's the main difference as you go up the leagues.

Re: Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 20:11
by beesknees99
I mean... on the basis of that highlights clip alone, Stoke looked absolutely DIRE. Calamitous own goal. Shocking defending for the other goals. I’d like to think we could play a lot better than Stoke did against Brentford.

Lest we forget Stoke also surrendered a 2 goal lead to Shrewsbury Town.

Brentford seem to knock it about well, but the magic of the occasion and the “home advantage”, as well as potentially freezing temperatures, may be a leveller.

I’m not expecting a win against Brentford, but I think we can put in a better shift than Stoke did.

I’m neither heartened nor disheartened by this highlight reel. I am really looking forward to a special and memorable day, regardless of the result. (A win would be mega though. Especially if we get drawn against one of the big boys at 7pm)

Re: Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2019, 11:18
by king45bee
Speaking to a Brentford season ticket friend last night seems Malpay likely to go soon from what he has heard before game. As others have alluded to their performance v Stoke unusually good. Hoping Rotherham is a tough game for them as may put their focus more on the league especially with their new stadium taking shape.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Re: Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2019, 17:17
by JWTBee
king45bee wrote:Speaking to a Brentford season ticket friend last night seems Malpay likely to go soon from what he has heard before game. As others have alluded to their performance v Stoke unusually good. Hoping Rotherham is a tough game for them as may put their focus more on the league especially with their new stadium taking shape.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


Wishful thinking!?

Re: Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2019, 17:44
by king45bee
Couldn't have gone worse today but still think Barnet can do it next week

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Re: Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2019, 17:58
by natwilk
They must be pissing themselves laughing!

Re: Scouting Report- Brentford v Stoke

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 18:42
by MCB
Brentford have just sold their star centre back to Bournemouth

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... am-special