Dorchester (THL) The 5 Star Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hoofer2

Re: Dorchester (THL) The 5 Star Match Thread

Mikel Bee wrote:Is the tea hut on fire?
No..Shaq is!
pgbee

No more goals please from either side, prediction league points at stake here. BBC said 3-1 now says 2-1 FT ??
finchleyman

A rather unimpressive display against a spirited Dorchester side who put ten men behind the ball and beckoned the Bees to break them down. We are not good at breaking down defences like this and hence, although the team was identical to that against Sheffield Utd. , we had no freedom to play on the pitch with the result we resorted to our normal fairly abysmal self. We really do need a big strong centre forward or someone who knows how to dominate defences if we are to move forward in any way in the near future.

We huffed and puffed in the first half but Dorchester were equal to it. Eventually, in the second half, Shaq scored a neat goal from a tight angle and after that there was only really one team in it. But Mark Cousins does not dominate his six yard box. A couple of non-threatening crosses by Dorchester which Cousins did not take resulted in Dorchester bundling the second cross into the net. I totally blame Cousins for this and he has really got to come out and catch the ball when it comes across his six yard area.

Simeon Akinola made quite a difference to the team and he looked like a player who could break down defences. But it was a cross from Elliott Johnson which Craig Robson headed awkwardly into the goal that secured the win. Sweeney threaded a wonderful pass thorough to Jack Taylor but he unfortunately missed. The team mostly played well and kept Dorchester at bay. We need to sort out the forward line and the goalkeeper.

The crowd was quite small. The football was not good. The highlight of the afternoon was when we thought the stand was on fire as acrid smoke billowed across the ground. It turned out to be TK burning his money earned from the FA Cup games.
Nudger70

Not sure how we made this game so hard for ourselves. After 60 mins we were 1 up cruising and Dorchester to a man were blowing out there backsides. One corner and it’s all square. Got the result onwards and upwards still got 3 routes to Wembley
Norfolk & Chance

I wasn't there so probably shouldn't comment but it's usually the case we crash back to earth after a huge win.
Result wise we've done really well to get through.
A real consolidating win albeit not great to watch by the sounds of it.
Well done Bees, on to the next one.
king45bee

The goal for them was so avoidable. Brentford are going to target goalie- don't fathom why he dithers when catching the ball best option given he is a great shot stopper. Also not good for Percy's blood pressure!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
pgbee

Nudger70 wrote:Not sure how we made this game so hard for ourselves. After 60 mins we were 1 up cruising and Dorchester to a man were blowing out there backsides. One corner and it’s all square. Got the result onwards and upwards still got 3 routes to Wembley
4 if you include Spuds away in 5th round...
becbee

After all the excitement last Sunday, today was a bit of a damp squib. Dorchester had two chances - the one on the stroke of half time which they put in the side netting and their goal. Even after their equaliser I couldn't see them winning, glad we scored and avoided a replay. Although I think we'd have won a replay regardless.

It was a pleasant enough match, nice enough afternoon, pleased for DC that he's kept his unbeaten run going and yet another NL match postponed now - but not a match to live long in the memory.
john dockers shorts

Thought we controlled the game but struggled in the first half to find that killer pass we just passed across the pitch and although we conjured up a few chances we just struggled with the team having to go for it. Dorchester knocked the ball around without threatening in the first half.

Second half Akinola made the difference and shaq scored a nice goal close into the area.

Had a load of chances before Cousins was asked to do the simple task of dominating his six yard box and as we have seen plenty this season he is useless if the ball is put in his box. He had a few chances to come for a cross and it went back into the box a couple of times before the guy capatailised to score. Cousins imo totally responsible for the goal.

Good that we kept going to get the winner which was fully deserved.

A smallish crowd but a half decent atmosphere.

I enjoyed it.
#Beebot

The biggest problem was our complete refusal to shoot when well placed. When we did shoot our finishing was miles off.
BeesKnees99

I always soil my underwear when any cross comes in to Cousins’ area.

A fine shot stopper, and has kept us in games/won us points with his saves, but his lack of command when going for crosses has concerned me all season.

Think back to Braintree in the FA Cup, had multiple chances to clear the corner but haplessly flapped at it. They scored.

Flapped at a cross in Hartlepool game, they scored.

Hardly ever seems to go for a punch or catch when he needs to. Often starts to go for it before retreating. Has happened countless times this season and has often directly or indirectly led to conceding.

Only a matter of time before this REALLY costs us.
amberforever

I thought Dorchester were half decent. Their movement off the ball seemed better although they lacked the skill to finish. Couldn’t really see their goal too well from the south. PS the white smoke was to show we have chosen our manager.
Psycho

#Beebot wrote:The biggest problem was our complete refusal to shoot when well placed. When we did shoot our finishing was miles off.
It certainly was - I nearly got knocked unconscious from a powerful shot! Those balls are lethal!

An ugly win but we'll take it. Dorchester looked a good side considering the league positions gap. They tried to play good football instead of hoofing it. Well done to Currie for making some decent tactical substitutions when we had our difficult periods in the game.
ETBee

I'm surprised at all the negative comments. Were people expecting us to totally dominate Dorchester and "do a Man City" on them? We controlled the game but, as I said in an earlier message, we struggle to score. Our big downfall is our hesitation near goal and reluctance to shoot even when in good positions. EMC was particularly guilty of this.

However I felt that we created more variety of movement up front than we have done in any game this season. So I'm optimistic that DC is on the right track.

Nobody has mentioned what a great game Jack Taylor had. He was everywhere, winning tackles and creating moves. Elito's game has improved no end and Sweeney continues to delight.

I also don't understand the anti Cousins brigade. Dorchester's goal wasn't his fault from what I could see - I look forward to the video. The whole defence failed to get rid of the ball and it rattled around like a pinball until it ended in the net.

So I just ask the moaners to compare today's performance with that against say Ebbsfleet and just be grateful and look forward to the good times.