Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby jerroll » 04 Jan 2019, 14:15

MCB wrote:
jerroll wrote:27 years! 1992 Charlton @Upton Park - lost 3-1 Also on a Sunday!


Ah of course, I was there! It's odd, Barnet's wiki page on FA Cup had early 50's stuff, but didn't even mention the Chelsea game which probably saved the club.

That was one hell of an atmosphere at Upton Park. if I remember rightly (and i'm sure you'll correct me if not) - we took the lead from a cracking Spike Carter goal from the edge of a box, but Rob Lee inspired Charlton were just too good.

We were missing Paul Showler who had been our form player as he was needed by the police who he was PT with to work at a different game up north.... He only had dispensation apparently to play Saturday games.

Is that tosh? It's how I remember it.

He certainly had to work that day! we also played Pompey the previous year in rd 3 but I have forgotten the score (bookem Danno!)
jerroll
 
Posts: 9467
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 17:25

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby rudebwoyben » 04 Jan 2019, 14:27

MCB wrote:
jerroll wrote:27 years! 1992 Charlton @Upton Park - lost 3-1 Also on a Sunday!


Ah of course, I was there! It's odd, Barnet's wiki page on FA Cup had early 50's stuff, but didn't even mention the Chelsea game which probably saved the club.

That was one hell of an atmosphere at Upton Park. if I remember rightly (and i'm sure you'll correct me if not) - we took the lead from a cracking Spike Carter goal from the edge of a box, but Rob Lee inspired Charlton were just too good.

We were missing Paul Showler who had been our form player as he was needed by the police who he was PT with to work at a different game up north.... He only had dispensation apparently to play Saturday games.

Is that tosh? It's how I remember it.


Rob Lee was brilliant for Charlton that day, the best player on the pitch by a mile.
I was in the main stand that and the away terracing was completely full and producing noise which has seldom been bettered by Barnet fans since.
User avatar
rudebwoyben
 
Posts: 5943
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 18:53
Location: Hackney, London E5

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby Reckless » 04 Jan 2019, 15:43

I get the piss taken out of me all the time about being old and in the past but I bet to differ about the away terrace at Upton Park which was the old South Bank. We filled the centre section of three and overspilled onto one of the remaining two. It held 7,000 or so at the time it was knowhere near full. We had about 1900 on the day I think you'll find - still impresive - marginly more than we took to Bristol City in 1989- 1990.
User avatar
Reckless
 
Posts: 2753
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 17:53
Location: Potters Bar

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby Norfolk & Chance » 04 Jan 2019, 15:57

I remember coaching it to that game and being completely crammed into a section of the away end. The noise was incredible.
And yes, Rob Lee stood out a country mile. To me, he looked world class that day.
Yet another great Bees memory.
Norfolk & Chance
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 09:22

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby amberforever » 04 Jan 2019, 16:12

I remember the game well as I went with my Dad and we mistakingly went in the home end behind the goal. Yes Paul Showler did not play which was a bit of a downer. Spike scored a cracker first from the edge of the box right in front of us . I jumped , punching the air and shouting , when my Dad promptly dragged me down and hushed me up before we came to any grief!! Yes Rob Lee broke our hearts with an outstanding display but what a great Bees day out at a legendary ground.
amberforever
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 18:37

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby amberforever » 04 Jan 2019, 16:15

jerroll wrote:
MCB wrote:
jerroll wrote:27 years! 1992 Charlton @Upton Park - lost 3-1 Also on a Sunday!


Ah of course, I was there! It's odd, Barnet's wiki page on FA Cup had early 50's stuff, but didn't even mention the Chelsea game which probably saved the club.

That was one hell of an atmosphere at Upton Park. if I remember rightly (and i'm sure you'll correct me if not) - we took the lead from a cracking Spike Carter goal from the edge of a box, but Rob Lee inspired Charlton were just too good.

We were missing Paul Showler who had been our form player as he was needed by the police who he was PT with to work at a different game up north.... He only had dispensation apparently to play Saturday games.

Is that tosh? It's how I remember it.

He certainly had to work that day! we also played Pompey the previous year in rd 3 but I have forgotten the score (bookem Danno!)

I was at that game and I believe we lost 5-0.. Andy Clarke put in a blinding performance and he was bought by Pompey soon after.
amberforever
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 18:37

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby chesbee » 04 Jan 2019, 16:19

amberforever wrote:
jerroll wrote:
MCB wrote:
jerroll wrote:27 years! 1992 Charlton @Upton Park - lost 3-1 Also on a Sunday!


Ah of course, I was there! It's odd, Barnet's wiki page on FA Cup had early 50's stuff, but didn't even mention the Chelsea game which probably saved the club.

That was one hell of an atmosphere at Upton Park. if I remember rightly (and i'm sure you'll correct me if not) - we took the lead from a cracking Spike Carter goal from the edge of a box, but Rob Lee inspired Charlton were just too good.

We were missing Paul Showler who had been our form player as he was needed by the police who he was PT with to work at a different game up north.... He only had dispensation apparently to play Saturday games.

Is that tosh? It's how I remember it.

He certainly had to work that day! we also played Pompey the previous year in rd 3 but I have forgotten the score (bookem Danno!)

I was at that game and I believe we lost 5-0.. Andy Clarke put in a blinding performance and he was bought by Pompey soon after.

Wimbledon
chesbee
 
Posts: 497
Joined: 08 Feb 2011, 20:29
Location: Cheshunt Herts

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby jerroll » 04 Jan 2019, 16:20

He certainly had to work that day! we also played Pompey the previous year in rd 3 but I have forgotten the score (bookem Danno!)

I was at that game and I believe we lost 5-0.. Andy Clarke put in a blinding performance and he was bought by Pompey soon after.[/quote]
I was joking about the score hence the Hawaii 5-0 reference! Clarkey didn't go to Pompey he joined Wimbledon!!
jerroll
 
Posts: 9467
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 17:25

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby Norfolk & Chance » 04 Jan 2019, 16:24

That's the first time I'd heard the Pompey chimes and it sent a shiver down the back of my neck.
My god there was a lot of them!
Norfolk & Chance
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 09:22

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby pgbee » 04 Jan 2019, 16:30

Was at Upton Park too. We were billed as having a good chance of causing an upset, so was ultimately disappointing as I went with hope. How times change, Sunday we should by rights have no chance , so not going with any expectations but stranger things have happened. In some ways we are flying under the media radar which to my mind is a good thing.
pgbee
 
Posts: 2811
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 20:56

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby john dockers shorts » 04 Jan 2019, 17:15

Bees roared on by 4,500 at Upton Park according to my archived local press report as written by Tony Holmes. A total of 9,800 at the game.
john dockers shorts
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: 30 Apr 2011, 21:29

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby amberforever » 04 Jan 2019, 18:40

pgbee wrote:Was at Upton Park too. We were billed as having a good chance of causing an upset, so was ultimately disappointing as I went with hope. How times change, Sunday we should by rights have no chance , so not going with any expectations but stranger things have happened. In some ways we are flying under the media radar which to my mind is a good thing.
It could have been an upset with that magic Barry Fry side! Re Andy Clarke Thanks, yes Wimbledon, it’s all coming back now!
amberforever
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 18:37

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby John_c » 04 Jan 2019, 18:47

john dockers shorts wrote:Bees roared on by 4,500 at Upton Park according to my archived local press report as written by Tony Holmes. A total of 9,800 at the game.
Reckless confused that with an Enfield game.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
:geahh:

Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

"Can't wait to hear the latest excuses from that bell end John C"
User avatar
John_c
 
Posts: 4941
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 08:23

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby john dockers shorts » 04 Jan 2019, 19:00

Guess its an age thing....
john dockers shorts
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: 30 Apr 2011, 21:29

Re: Sheffield United (Away) The When Sunday Comes Match Thre

Postby letchbee94 » 04 Jan 2019, 19:32

Looking forward to this game with lots of Bees fans in the away end, good to read people memories of watching Barnet in the rare times we have made the 3rd round.

Best for me was Colchester in 2007, brilliant atmosphere at Underhill that night.
Cannot find hightlights from that game, if anyone can them and share on here I would really appreciate it :)
letchbee94
 
Posts: 5890
Joined: 21 Jan 2011, 20:59

PreviousNext

Return to General Barnet Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: barnet34, Google [Bot], hoppy, Majestic-12 [Bot], Roy57 and 73 guests