South Stand

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
adher36

Re: South Stand

Gromit wrote:
Jon83 wrote:https://www.barnetfc.com/news/2018/sept ... ket-price/

That's the full story. There are caveats - existing members/season ticket holders cost will not increase and there are '3for2' promotions for every game.

The club are following rules but on the face of it, it doesnt look good that our cheapest adult walk up match day ticket is £20!
My Barnet loving son has just moved to Manchester for University and has bagged a ticket for the Champions League game at the Etihad tonight for £17.50 for students.....just saying
With so many empty seats at a small club like City, they have to put prices at that level in order for it not too look too embarrassingly empty in front of the TV cameras. City cheat their way to the title, and cheat their way to fuller (still won't be full) stadia. Small club mentality. Sad!
Gromit

adher36 wrote:
Gromit wrote:

That's the full story. There are caveats - existing members/season ticket holders cost will not increase and there are '3for2' promotions for every game.

The club are following rules but on the face of it, it doesnt look good that our cheapest adult walk up match day ticket is £20!
My Barnet loving son has just moved to Manchester for University and has bagged a ticket for the Champions League game at the Etihad tonight for £17.50 for students.....just saying
With so many empty seats at a small club like City, they have to put prices at that level in order for it not too look too embarrassingly empty in front of the TV cameras. City cheat their way to the title, and cheat their way to fuller (still won't be full) stadia. Small club mentality. Sad!

I agree! It's just the irony of a £20 cheapest (one off) ticket for Barnet v the cost of Man City. I (and he) would still much rather watch Barnet than Man City!
MCB

OK, so there is a dilemma here - the club obviously had to act quickly, but at the same time had a duty to discuss with fans, which they didn't.

What were the options?

1 - increase the terrace prices, as they have done, pissing off South Standers
2 - decrease the price for the away fans pissing off those paying more in the West
3 - decrease the prices for all seats to match terraces - pisses off those with season tickets who will demand refunds
4 - build a quick temporary away terrace in East Blocks A - and charging £15 - perhaps 100 capacity. Costs to rebuild, move directors
5 - Split terrace and give fans part of terrace - increases stewarding costs for two away stands
6 - close family zone, give away fans part of the South Terrace (1/3?) and seats in the East E&G (168 seats). Means just 1 entrance for all away fans, but deprives them of bar access

I mean, seriously - are there any other options? And what would you go for?
ninestein

MCB wrote:OK, so there is a dilemma here - the club obviously had to act quickly, but at the same time had a duty to discuss with fans, which they didn't.

What were the options?

2 - decrease the price for the away fans pissing off those paying more in the West
3 - decrease the prices for all seats to match terraces - pisses off those with season tickets who will demand refunds
4 - build a quick temporary away terrace in East Blocks A - and charging £15 - perhaps 100 capacity. Costs to rebuild, move directors
5 - Split terrace and give fans part of terrace - increases stewarding costs for two away stands
6 - close family zone, give away fans part of the South Terrace (1/3?) and seats in the East E&G (168 seats). Means just 1 entrance for all away fans, but deprives them of bar access

One other option not listed is close the terrace for the season completely, effectively operate as a 3 sided all seater stadium, and keep all prices as they are (not that I would want to do that as it pisses off several of our core fans and makes the ground look empty at the same time).

Basically, whatever option the club chooses, someone gets pissed off... it can't win.
Last edited by ninestein on 19 Sep 2018, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
hoppy

MCB wrote:OK, so there is a dilemma here - the club obviously had to act quickly, but at the same time had a duty to discuss with fans, which they didn't.

What were the options?

Option 2.
One thing we don't know is whether TK has had to refund the fans of the Away clubs that have already played us at The Hive this season.
It is obvious that the Club has now recognised that it has broken League rules so I would hope that the Away fans can now claim their fivers back.
WinchyBee

Gromit wrote:

City's season ticket is the second lowest in the Premier League after West Ham, they have a serious problem regarding selling tickets and filling their ground....
NoMagRyan

ninestein wrote:3 for 2 offers are great, and will probably be utilised to a certain degree, but some fans just want the flexibility of paying for a single game as and when it suits, not having 2 other future fixtures forced upon them.
Yup, I'm one of those fans who wants flexibility of paying for a single game as and when it suits. Also annoyed as I'd much rather stand for the entire game than sit.

Oh well.
MCB

ninestein wrote:

What were the options?

One other option not listed is close the terrace for the season completely, effectively operate as a 3 sided all seater stadium, and keep all prices as they are (not that I would want to do that as it pisses off several of our core fans and makes the ground look empty at the same time).

Basically, whatever option the club chooses, someone gets pissed off... it can't win.
I'll add that and think of all options and run a poll. As I genuinely don't believe there is a universal solution here. Any other ideas?

£5 earlybird discount for Away fans & Southstanders ending 1 week before gameday?
MCB

7 - close the south stand
8 - earlybird £5 discount that heavily penalises away fans, along with a 3 for 2 voucher book for any game for the southstand
Tuesds

This is just awful. Better than closing the South Terrace, which I’d feared might happen, but not much better and will lose the club money, goodwill and probably even a few supporters.

On the goodwill point, the club is not doing itself any favours by incorrectly describing the rule in its statement. If the rule was that away fans must be charged the lowest price in the ground, it would be stupid, in my view, but at least it would apply equally and affect most clubs in some way. What the statement doesn’t say is that the rule is you must charge away fans the price for terracing if you have terracing for home fans.

So, to take last Saturday for example, Orient charged away fans more than the home fans in the two (much newer, more comfortable, obstruction-free) stands at both ends. They are allowed to do that, because they have got rid of all terracing for home fans as well as away.

So we’re being punished for investing in excellent facilities for away fans while retaining a standing option for home fans (alongside newer, smarter facilities for the home fans who want to pay for them)

Utterly absurd and completely unfair.
Last edited by Tuesds on 19 Sep 2018, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
NoMagRyan

Tuesds wrote:This is just awful. Better than closing the South Terrace, which I’d feared might happen, but not much better and will lose the club money, goodwill and probably even a few supporters.
Agreed, sadly. What I don't understand is surely someone at the club has to take ownership of this? Surely they have someone who looks at the rules and regulations as part of their job? It's just so needlessly tinpot.
MCB

One possible positive?

If the south stand prices are the same as the west stand, then surely there is no need to have separate entrances, and deny access to the bar? People will continue to choose to stand because they prefer to stand, or prefer the view.

There is no price benefit, so open up the gates, allow those in the South to use the bar pre/post match and at half time. Surely this improves their experience, and reduces stewarding costs?
Tuesds

NoMagRyan wrote:
Tuesds wrote:This is just awful. Better than closing the South Terrace, which I’d feared might happen, but not much better and will lose the club money, goodwill and probably even a few supporters.
Agreed, sadly. What I don't understand is surely someone at the club has to take ownership of this? Surely they have someone who looks at the rules and regulations as part of their job? It's just so needlessly tinpot.
Yes, for all that I am defending the club on this and directing the blame at this bloody ridiculous rule, it would clearly have been much better had we made sure we were compliant with it at the start of the season and explained it to fans at that point.

The end result might have been similar, but there would’ve been less confusion and possibly a smaller loss of goodwill.
BEEGONE

Can we not just ban away fans?
BeeinBristol

MCB wrote:One possible positive?

If the south stand prices are the same as the west stand, then surely there is no need to have separate entrances, and deny access to the bar? People will continue to choose to stand because they prefer to stand, or prefer the view.

There is no price benefit, so open up the gates, allow those in the South to use the bar pre/post match and at half time. Surely this improves their experience, and reduces stewarding costs?
But they are still lower even with this increase: Adult £20.00 rather than £22.00