Why do we no longer get the Arsenal PSF?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hoofer2

Why do we no longer get the Arsenal PSF?

When you look at reports such as this https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/14/arsenal- ... d-7716342/
it's a shame Arsenal pulled out of the PSFs with us.

Did Wenger / TK have a fall out? Or is it simplye because Arsenal Ladies play at The Wood, and have a similar arrangement to us when Arsenal reserves played at Underhill?
Norfolkbee

Re: Why do we no longer get the Arsenal PSF?

I used to consciously boycott these games for a couple of reasons - I preferred to play cricket and I couldn't stand the Gooners fans. I went once (the Sol Campbell game) and was abused by an Arsenal fan because I was standing in front of my seat 20 minutes BEFORE kick-off. He claimed I was blocking his view of Arsenal's pre-match warm-up. :grrr:
I believe that, towards the end, Arsenal were only sending a team of fringe/reserve team players and not the superstar line-up they once did.
BEEGONE

The days of 4/5 world cup winners playing were long over when they finally stopped sending a team.

Apart from some extra cash it served no purpose for the development of our own team.

What player wants to lose 9-1 or whatever friendly or not.
becbee

Agree with Norfolkbee. My one experience of those patronising Arsenal fans and feeling out of place at my home ground was something I never wished to repeat.
In any case Hoofer2, why do you think it's a shame to miss out on seeing us lose 0-8 as happened to B'wood on Saturday( or 1-10 as happened to us one pre season)?
ninestein

When we started playing the fixture in our second conference stint, the game was quite an attraction in the sense that Arsenal sent their superstars like Seaman, Henry, Bergkamp, Kanu etc. Plus we got a rare chance to see the stadium full. The first year we lost 6-1, but the sight of Neil Midgley scoring against England's goalkeeper was something to remember.

The following year was a much closer affair. I believe Mark Arber equalised to make it 1-1, in what was a much more closely matched evening encounter. In the end Matt Upson made it 2-1 but I left the ground feeling quite proud of the way we had gone toe to toe with a very strong side.

A year later and it was a 0-0 draw against a mixed Arsenal side, but the game was overshadowed by that injury to Liam Hatch.

Then it all stated to become a bit of a non-event for Barnet. The 10-1 drubbing on the eve of our championship winning season was an afternoon to forget after Richard Graham had tucked us in front for a 1-0 lead... The fixture was now just an Arsenal exhibition to let their fans purr over how good they were. After that I wasn't bothered any more. I would sooner have a competitive friendly against decent Championship opposition than suffer a morale-destroying defeat where all we do is chase shadows.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
hoofer2

becbee wrote:Agree with Norfolkbee. My one experience of those patronising Arsenal fans and feeling out of place at my home ground was something I never wished to repeat.
In any case Hoofer2, why do you think it's a shame to miss out on seeing us lose 0-8 as happened to B'wood on Saturday( or 1-10 as happened to us one pre season)?
1-10 only happened once, and I believe the season after the result was a lot closer. I bet you the players would relish the opportunity to play against some of the
players they'll no doubt select in their play station teams. I loved the PSF vs a full strength Crystal Palace team - our youth / development team had them on the back foot.

As a fan I hope for at least one marquee pre-season fixture that we expect to be pummelled in. Other clubs seem to be able to attract the bigger teams who
commit to bringing a strong squad rather than random XIs.

We all have differing opinions on this but the appeal of a s**t performance against a big side we never seem to get in cup games, is more appealing than another
s**t performance vs Concord Rangers. Even struggling West Ham cannot even send a full strength team :)
ninestein

The other factor which comes into play, especially in a summer where a major tournament is taking place, is that a lot of the star players have extended leave and probably won't link up with their clubs until the week before the season begins.

Maybe that's a good thing. If we did have a prestigious friendly line up against Spurs for example, most of their 1st XI would be elsewhere, and it might make for a decent game. They would probably still have some household names on show.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
becbee

hoofer2 wrote:
becbee wrote:Agree with Norfolkbee. My one experience of those patronising Arsenal fans and feeling out of place at my home ground was something I never wished to repeat.
1-10 only happened once, and I believe the season after the result was a lot closer. I bet you the players would relish the opportunity to play against some of the
players they'll no doubt select in their play station teams. I loved the PSF vs a full strength Crystal Palace team - our youth / development team had them on the back foot.

As a fan I hope for at least one marquee pre-season fixture that we expect to be pummelled in. Other clubs seem to be able to attract the bigger teams who
commit to bringing a strong squad rather than random XIs.

We all have differing opinions on this but the appeal of a s**t performance against a big side we never seem to get in cup games, is more appealing than another
s**t performance vs Concord Rangers. Even struggling West Ham cannot even send a full strength team :)
TBH I couldn't care less who we play in PSF. It doesn't really make any difference to me whether we play Concorde Rangers or Fulham U23, I won't recognise either teams players regardless.
Judging from the paltry attendance on Saturday, it seems that few fans were attracted by Fulham U23.
My main concern with PSFs is that we avoid serious injury. My only reason for going is so as to get to recognise new signings in advance of the new season and because it's quite nice to be able to sit in shorts and tee shirt watching a match where the result doesn't matter.
But we can agree to differ on this one.
hoppy

John Akinde's first game for Lincoln was also played in front of a paltry attendance, 5,846.
MCB

I only saw one - when Liam Hatch outplayed Yaya Toure.

However, I accepted it for what it was - a chance for the players to play prestigious games - and also an attraction to players to join us (Gary Hoopers only game for us I think) - but mainly a chance to inflate ticket prices and make some serious money from their fans.

It did feel like they took over our stadium, and I didn't like that. But that stadium was Underhill, and extra revenue sources were minimal.

Now were at the Hive I prefer to play games that improve the team for the start of the season, and that was rarely Arsenal. Being battered 0-8 doesn't really tell us anything, Borehamwood took little positive away from it, and i'm sure that Craig Ross was wishing he was on trial for a different game.
John_c

The relationship with Arsenal came to an end after David Dein left.

I use Tapatalk like the cool kids
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
jerroll

John_c wrote:The relationship with Arsenal came to an end after David Dein left.

A bit like Arsenal's ambition!!
alexbach

jerroll wrote:
John_c wrote:The relationship with Arsenal came to an end after David Dein left.

A bit like Arsenal's ambition!!
For at least five years, it was a class outing. So kids got to see the invincibles and or at least a couple of them. Different era completely ImageImage

Sent from my 5046Y using Tapatalk
buzzinbee

As others mentioned, I did not enjoy being outnumbered or ridiculed at our home, by their fans and to walk away from that 10 - 1 defeat didn't make it any more pleasurable.

Taking something from Arsenal, I would happily go and watch a sort of weekend tournament like they do, yearly, at the Hive, and could bring in some decent revenue. Some decent 1xi squads from maybe a couple from the League & from the non-English pyramid, like the Scottish, Irish or lower Spanish Leagues.
letchbee94

BEEGONE wrote:The days of 4/5 world cup winners playing were long over when they finally stopped sending a team.

Apart from some extra cash it served no purpose for the development of our own team.

What player wants to lose 9-1 or whatever friendly or not.
I don't know? We lost 10-1 in the 2004 psf and then went on to win the conference by 12 points ;)