Cobblers a role model

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolkbee

Cobblers a role model

I've just seen a very interesting feature on BBC East on how Northampton Town are about to record a profit for the past year.
It made very interesting viewing and proves what can be done with a bit of innovative commercial activity.
Their chairman seems to be a bit of a "go-getter" and their fund-raising efforts have just enabled them to spend £60,000 on Shaun Harrad.
Proves it can be done by "smaller" clubs.
BEEGONE

Re: Cobblers a role model

Awaits the boring answer of the ground makes money blah blah blah.
Norfolkbee

Don't see why anyone would be that negative. I was merely pointing people in the direction of the success Northampton and their chairman have had with their revenue raising over the past year.
It's obviously a model other clubs - Barnet included - can look at replicating.
Clubs are always asking for ways to increase their revenue streams.
Last edited by Norfolkbee on 04 Feb 2011, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
beeline

Norfolkbee wrote:I've just seen a very interesting feature on BBC East on how Northampton Town are about to record a profit for the past year.
It made very interesting viewing and proves what can be done with a bit of innovative commercial activity.
Their chairman seems to be a bit of a "go-getter" and their fund-raising efforts have just enabled them to spend £60,000 on Shaun Harrad.
Proves it can be done by "smaller" clubs.
Didn't we once spend £136,000 on Greg Heald after making a so called profit?
Norfolkbee

And your point is?
beeline

Norfolkbee wrote:And your point is?
Profit can be made by any smaller club by selling and spending wisely when we did it did anyone say hey look at Barnet they are a role model to all smaller clubs and they spent £136,ooo on Greg Heald by selling players for loadsamoney as they always have done in the past. One knows the only way small clubs survive is by selling and spending on players wisely. it's a sure gone fact!
Norfolkbee

We are talking 15 years ago and the sort of money we got for Dougie Freedman and Maik Taylor isn't around anymore.
The odd £250k for Puncheon and Kandol (probably paid in drawn-out instalments) is only used to keep the club ticking over these days.
Any extra revenue has to be accrued from other sources, i.e. commercial etc.
Last edited by Norfolkbee on 04 Feb 2011, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
beeline

What happened to that money?
Norfolkbee

Unless you are suggesting something more sinister, I assume it was used to keep the club running, pay wages. And don't forget the new stand and floodlights. I'm sure the chairman paid most of it, but he is a businessman and there has to be an element of self-sufficiency about the club.
It can't survive on just the gate money.
Last edited by Norfolkbee on 04 Feb 2011, 16:59, edited 2 times in total.
beeline

No what I am saying is that Northampton are a bigger club than Barnet and and always have been. When we beat Northampton in the cup all those years ago we were over the moon to beat a club of that size,
Norfolkbee

Nobody is denying that Northampton are a bigger club than Barnet, but there is no reason why the Bees - or any other club - can't look at their off-field operations and adapt elements of it for their own purposes.
Northampton probably picked up most of their ideas from clubs bigger than them.
John_c

BEEGONE wrote:Awaits the boring answer of the ground makes money blah blah blah.
You don't think their new ground increased their income? Seriously?
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
Tuesds

BEEGONE wrote:Awaits the boring answer of the ground makes money blah blah blah.
Yeah, facts are like, so boring. And anyway, you can prove anything with facts.

Seriously, Northampton are indeed a role model - they're a role model we've been trying to emulate for fifteen years. Their success is based in large part on a new, all-seater stadium with conferencing and dining facilities. The vastly increased income this generates for clubs throughout the football league is precisely the reason why Tony Kleanthous has spent a huge amount of time and resources on the pursuit of a new ground for Barnet.
becbee

Anyone who went to their rundown old 3 sided ground with the cricket pitch right on top of the 4th side will know that Northampton haven't always had things easy. However there was a nice big site which Northampton Council presumably deemed fit for renovation so they were able to aquire a new ground. That's the difference between them and us.
markobee

beeline wrote:When we beat Northampton in the cup all those years ago we were over the moon to beat a club of that size,
I can remember two occasions when we knocked Northampton out of the FA Cup - one in the 1990s, and then again about 5 years ago.

Good wins, certainly, but I don't recall Northampton being like the 'giants' to us, for either of those wins. Now, if we had gone on to beat Portsmouth...

Come on you Bees.