World Cup. England's chances.

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Psycho

Re: World Cup. England's chances.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Neymar, you're overrated and overpaid. Go home and sign for Celtic in another one-team league. All the biggest tosspots are on their flights back. Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Diego Costa, Kasper Schmeichel, Luis Suarez and now Neymar. :y:
Psycho

After being incapable of using a tablet or even being able to move yesterday after Saturday's celebrations, this is unbelievable. Croatia won't be easy but how much of their two knockout matches going to penalties taken out of them? They're an old side, labelled a "golden generation" (sound familiar?)

"We still believe.............we still believe...........it's coming home...........it's coming home..............it's coming.............football's coming home!" :y:
hoppy

Modric is the player of the tournament so far.
We need to keep him muzzled.
rudebwoyben

hoppy wrote:Modric is the player of the tournament so far.
We need to keep him muzzled.
Really? The only game in which he has definitively shone was against a shambolic Argentina. He did have a few moments in both of their knockout matches but nothing as exceptional as Mbappe against Argentina or De Bruyne, Hazard and Lukaku against Brazil. Hopefully, Modric will be played in a deeper position against us and Henderson will receive the support he needs to nullify him and Rakitic.
Norfolk & Chance

Sweden reminded me of England in years gone by.
Dull and predictable and beaten by a more creative side.
I think that alone demonstrates how far we've come as they really aren't that bad.
I'm confident we can beat Croatia but France or Belgium will surely be too good for us if we do get to the final...............won't they?
hoofer2

Norfolk & Chance wrote:Sweden reminded me of England in years gone by.
Dull and predictable and beaten by a more creative side.
I think that alone demonstrates how far we've come as they really aren't that bad.
I'm confident we can beat Croatia but France or Belgium will surely be too good for us if we do get to the final...............won't they?
The central defense is performing better than I expected though I see Walker / Maguire giving away silly fouls on the end of the box if run at by pace.

Ashley Young has done ok but was continually found wanting vs Sweden as always has to cut inside to deliver ball into the box. We will have more options if
Danny Rose is on the left and I think our play will be more fluid.

For me Deli Alli has been an enigma this World Cup. He reminds me of Danny Brown at the moment. Has potential but seems to be playing with restraints.

If we are to stand a chance of winning, ut's all about keeping the ball high up the pitch and keeping the opposition defence troubled.

I think Southgate is doing a great job, but feel he has left it too late in some games for subs to make an impact. I think Wellbeck is unfortunate not to get
more game time as a sub. He has the most England goals after Kane and also has a better scoring percentage than Vardy in terms of appearances (not necessarily actual time on the pitch).

If we can contain Modric then anything can happen.
Norfolk & Chance

Modric is certainly a threat.
It'll be good to see how we deal with him; good practice for the final! ;-)

It was good to see young fool everyone on the pitch, in the stadium and watching on tele by crossing the ball with his left foot against Sweden.
I would much prefer rose to play there personally.

I'm off for a south coast break which I 100% would not have booked if I'd thought we'd have reached the semi, but at least I get the chance to watch it on a beach with a few thousand others (hopefully).

I so hope my (our) dreams come true and we get to the final.
Psycho

hoofer2 wrote:For me Deli Alli has been an enigma this World Cup. He reminds me of Danny Brown at the moment. Has potential but seems to be playing with restraints.

I think Southgate is doing a great job, but feel he has left it too late in some games for subs to make an impact. I think Wellbeck is unfortunate not to get
more game time as a sub. He has the most England goals after Kane and also has a better scoring percentage than Vardy in terms of appearances (not necessarily actual time on the pitch).

If we can contain Modric then anything can happen.
Dele Alli's disciplinary record has always held him back with his relationship with England fans. Saturday's goal will go a long way to helping him mature and make him feel loved.

I don't rate Welbeck (would have taken Daniel Sturridge instead to Russia but his injuries affected him last season) although accept that he's more of a team player. Quite surreal that Welbeck was in Samara 4,000(?) miles away while Sturridge was playing at Chester FC, scoring a couple of goals at the same time!

Edit: Croatia game - I really rate Ivan Rakitic and think we've got to stop him instead of just focusing on Luka Modric. Their midfield is very strong and we haven't played a side yet with a very creative spark. It'll be interesting what tactics we employ. The three-man defence is a real gamble against a world-class midfield. For a big man, Mario Mandzukic also combines well. This will be our toughest game (barring the Belgium reserve match).
ninestein

Croatia will be the biggest test yet, but we've grown into the tournament nicely and will be ready for it. I think Southgate has done well to find the right balance. Knowing when to let the players get excited, and when to pull them back down to earth.

His whole persona throughout the tournament has been just what's required. Given the relatively low expectations prior, he's also helped us fans raise our expectations gradually. Now we've got to the Tim Henman stage (just a semi), we as fans have every right to get carried away. The fact 3 lions is back at number 1 speaks volumes. Now Gareth's motivational talks can make reference to getting to the final. The players will be wanting to get there at any cost.

People talk about going one better than 1990. The reality is we could lose to Croatia yet still finish 3rd. That in itself is going one better as Italy beat us 2-1 in that tournament. It would be a bit of an anti climax, but whatever happens we've created good memories at this tournament.

But i still think Croatia will be just as wary of us as we are of them. Here we are identifying Rakitic and Modric as danger men. They will have seen our games and be wary of the pace we have up front, and giving away set pieces in their own third. We can do this. The script is written for another footie BBQ fest this Sunday.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Norfolk & Chance

This isn't just a semi, this is a RAGING semi !!

Bring on the Croats!!
ninestein

Question... have two teams from the same starting group ever faced each other again in the world cup final?

I seem to recall Greece and Portugal doing so in the Euros, but what about the world cup? More potential history to be re-written?
rudebwoyben

ninestein wrote:Question... have two teams from the same starting group ever faced each other again in the world cup final?

I seem to recall Greece and Portugal doing so in the Euros, but what about the world cup? More potential history to be re-written?
Brazil and Czechoslovakia met in the 1962 final after starting in the same group!
ninestein

Nice work!
alexbach

harry kane is 24, many of the squad younger. The England team has exceeded expectations , and some have three or four major tournaments ahead of them to improve. Croatia have just one premier league player- dejan lovren-a Belgium v England final could potentially see twenty two who regularly play in England of a Saturday. Interesting times. in 1996 saw Croatia play England , Denmark and eventual euro champs Germany.
pgbee

After watching the France - Belgium game it scares me to think of Mbappe and Griezmann running at Maguire, Stones and especially Walker, even if we can beat Croatia.....funny how ex Man U Ferdinand thought current Man U Pogba was the best on the pitch....