World Cup. England's chances.

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolk & Chance

Re: World Cup. England's chances.

A masterstroke from Southgate to avoid Japan..........
ninestein

Tuesds wrote:I think it's pretty clear to all of us Bees fans that the reason why Kaspar Schmeichel couldn't quite get the Danes over the line last night is the psychological damage caused by Jake Hyde's 93rd-minute winner past him at Underhill back in August 2009. No-one who suffered the merciless jeers of the North West Terrace having been vanquished by the mighty Bees was ever quite the same again.
Indeed. Will always remember fang dishing it out to him from the back of the South Stand...

"Oi Kasper... congratulations! 5 minutes gone, you've just earned two grand!"
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
kingpinfid

The funniest thing I've heard recently is Sam Allardyce commenting on Southgate's England team and saying that they are too reliant on goals from set pieces.

Is he taking the p***?
Norfolk & Chance

Presumably he preferred the football under Hodgson where we had Kane taking the corners and couldn't string passes together let alone score a goal!
Considering the circumstances of his leaving the England job, he should pipe down!
pgbee

We can conclude VAR is a complete joke with no set procedures though...
Norfolk & Chance

I withdraw certain comments earlier in this thread.
I'm going outside now for a lie down in my pond.
To bee or not to bee

I’m never watching England play football ever again. Thank god we’re playing West Brom on Saturday at 3. I’ll be there. :doh:
ninestein

Owing to a meeting at my daughter's new school for next year, i had to record the entire match, turn my phone off and watch it about 90 mins behind everyone else. Needless to say that by about half past 11 with everyone else already in bed, i was rather happy.

As for Columbia... what a horrible, dirty side! It was like watching a Stevenage side magaged by Graham Westley! The referee was too weak. He should have cut out all of the back-chat earlier on. How is it that 3 minutes were allowed to pass between giving the pen and actually taking it? No-one was injured so there's no excuse.

And this VAR system is far from perfect. Henderson's reaction wasn't great, but that headbutt was a red all day long. Then again, perhaps the video officials are actually located in the Kremlin, which would explain why certain teams see the benefit of it and others don't...

Aside from winning on pens, the one thing that really made me happy last night is the way our players stood up for themselves. Well done England. Proud of you!
hoofer2

ninestein wrote:Owing to a meeting at my daughter's new school for next year, i had to record the entire match, turn my phone off and watch it about 90 mins behind everyone else. Needless to say that by about half past 11 with everyone else already in bed, i was rather happy.

As for Columbia... what a horrible, dirty side! It was like watching a Stevenage side magaged by Graham Westley! The referee was too weak. He should have cut out all of the back-chat earlier on. How is it that 3 minutes were allowed to pass between giving the pen and actually taking it? No-one was injured so there's no excuse.

And this VAR system is far from perfect. Henderson's reaction wasn't great, but that headbutt was a red all day long. Then again, perhaps the video officials are actually located in the Kremlin, which would explain why certain teams see the benefit of it and others don't...

Aside from winning on pens, the one thing that really made me happy last night is the way our players stood up for themselves. Well done England. Proud of you!
England were just as bad with the backchat and crowding the referee, particularly Ashley Young. England never got their focus back after squabbling with Colombia at the ridiculous free kick and also the penalty. Once the penalty was awarded, walk away and let the officials deal with Colombia. Henderson is an absolute wally for picking uop that booking - so avoidable.

In tournament football I do not believe yellows or reds should be rescinded at end of quarter finals, if you've picked one up you may pay the ultimate price for indiscipline.
Norfolk & Chance

There is no way on earth we were just as bad as Colombia.

As for Henderson, take an upper cut head butt to the lower jaw and I reckon most of us would hit the deck too.
Psycho

Norfolk & Chance wrote:There is no way on earth we were just as bad as Colombia.

As for Henderson, take an upper cut head butt to the lower jaw and I reckon most of us would hit the deck too.
Agree fully with you, N&C.

Colombia deserve to be out of the World Cup with their thuggish tactics. Thankfully there's no more South American teams in our half of the draw. Not getting ahead of it all but Croatia can play dirty like Slaven Bilic feigning injury and France' Laurent Blanc missing the final because of him in 1998. Just so relieved we're still in (no pun intended!) and the players can recharge the batteries before Saturday. :D
ninestein

Even if our players did walk away, that referee wasn't capable of dealing with the Columbians. He was too weak. Collina wouldn't have stood for all that. Our players only got involved because they were provoked. We came to play football. Columbia turned up to play a different game.
NoMagRyan

ninestein wrote:Even if our players did walk away, that referee wasn't capable of dealing with the Columbians. He was too weak. Collina wouldn't have stood for all that. Our players only got involved because they were provoked. We came to play football. Columbia turned up to play a different game.
Agreed, Colombia weren't interested in playing football and it's always satisfying seeing teams lose when they try and shithouse their way through the game. This was especially irritating: https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/04/colombia ... d-7681916/

Annoyingly I'm at a bloody wedding on Saturday. Gutted but to think, we've got a real shot at making the final... imagine! Christ.
Psycho

We've lost to the World Cup winners! No mean feat. Belgium have finally realised their potential.
Norfolk & Chance

I really hope they hold on. Neymar's diving is scandalous. If Belgium survive this you'd have to fancy them to win the cup.