World Cup. England's chances.

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
alexbach

Re: World Cup. England's chances.

rudebwoyben wrote:
#Beebot wrote:I welcome the expansion to 48 provided the expansion is weighted towards South America, Africa and Europe in order to maximise quality. Sadly it will more likely be weighted towards Asia, which means we'll see the UAE, Qatar, China and Uzbekistan, who will all be miles out of their depth.
hmmm...... weighted towards the pockets of havalagne, blatter and platini..........allegedly

sisxteen groups of three in Canada- us - mex
hoofer2

alexbach wrote:
rudebwoyben wrote:
#Beebot wrote:I welcome the expansion to 48 provided the expansion is weighted towards South America, Africa and Europe in order to maximise quality. Sadly it will more likely be weighted towards Asia, which means we'll see the UAE, Qatar, China and Uzbekistan, who will all be miles out of their depth.
hmmm...... weighted towards the pockets of havalagne, blatter and platini..........allegedly

sisxteen groups of three in Canada- us - mex
Sounds like the first group is sorted - I do not think it fair 3 teams get a shoe in without qualifying.
That said, a freak result can easily mean a "big team" leaving competition early if only 2 matches are played in round 1.

I expect the seeded teams are going to be given some sort of bye to round 2 which means lower seeded teams having to qualify - let's see
what the pompous fool Infantino comes up with.
rudebwoyben

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -stevenage

Our favourite ever Tunisian has been asked for his insight into the Tunisian football psyche.
Reckless

In answer to the above question, leave Sterling, Young and Henderson on the bench and swap with Rashford Rose and Dyer. Kane might then get the service he will thrive off of.
Anybody want do add to that?
pgbee

Sterling would run up his own back passage if he could, most over rated England player in the squad..
rudebwoyben

I actually thought that Henderson and Young played well but Sterling just never seems to gel for England.
If you play Dier instead of Henderson than England will not keep possession so well and they will not be able to build up the fast breaks that favour our quick attackers and against such a limited team as Panama we don’t need such a defensive central midfielder. Rose does offer a more explosive option down the left but I just feel that Young is more consistent. Who would I play in place of Sterling? I reckon Wellbeck would be worth a go.
I am a bit worried about Walker’s capabilities as a centre-back but overall we just need to maintain the tempo and pressing we showed in the first half tonight.
Norfolk & Chance

Surely Young is the only left sided player who cannot, or refuses to, kick the ball with his left foot!
Sterling should not be picked ahead of rashford again if fit.

Fair play to them for keeping going to the end and actually winning the game.
Watching England should come with a health warning though!
ninestein

Watching England has been painful since as long as I can remember. Yet we still keep coming back for more! A bit like our own club... :)

We rarely win our first group game, so we need to embrace that win, and dare i say it, we now have a realistic chance of beating Panama and backing up the opening game with a second win. When was the last time that happened? If Tunisia are as dogged as that against Belgium, who knows they could frustrate a point out of them and then a draw in the final game could see us top the group.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
kingpinfid

I can’t remember the last time we qualified from our group at a major tournament with a game to spare, so lets do the business vs Panama and guarantee a Round 2 fixture against Senegal, Poland, Japan or Columbia.
rudebwoyben

kingpinfid wrote:I can’t remember the last time we qualified from our group at a major tournament with a game to spare, so lets do the business vs Panama and guarantee a Round 2 fixture against Senegal, Poland, Japan or Columbia.
Probably in 2006. We will beat Panama, they are the most limited team in the tournament. If we play with pace they won’t be able to cope as they have a lot of ageing players in their side.
ninestein

Hopefully Belgium have softened them up a bit after yesterday.
Play like we did in the first 20 mins of last night's game, and be a little bit more clinical in front of goal, we should be fine.

Elsewhere, I think there is going to be a major upset in the group stages somewhere. Right now I'm looking towards Germany. They have a tough 2nd fixture against a Sweden side who know how to scrap and be niggly. If that game ends up a draw, the Germans could be relying on a heavy victory over South Korea in their final game to qualify on goal difference. What a weekend this could be... Germany virtually out on Saturday, and us qualifying on Sunday with a game to spare!
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Norfolk & Chance

Should we qualify, I wonder if we'd prefer to win the group or come second?
Obviously the team will try to win all three games as winning can be habit forming but it'll be interesting to see who potential quarter final opponents might be.
Typical, scrape a win in the first game and I'm planning for the quarter finals !!
hoofer2

Don't forget Martinez is Belgium manager. Hopefully he'll have an Everton moment when England play them.

Sterling is carried by Jesus as club level. Id like to see Loftus Cheek given a start vz Panama. Very odd that Alli played as a number 7 and Sterling 10. Would have swapped.
rudebwoyben

hoofer2 wrote:Don't forget Martinez is Belgium manager. Hopefully he'll have an Everton moment when England play them.

Sterling is carried by Jesus as club level. Id like to see Loftus Cheek given a start vz Panama. Very odd that Alli played as a number 7 and Sterling 10. Would have swapped.
Doesn't Jesus carry us all?!

Japan getting that win against Colombia earlier on today has made it a bit difficult to predict potential second round opponents.
Golf Delta

Reckless wrote:In answer to the above question, leave Sterling, Young and Henderson on the bench and swap with Rashford Rose and Dyer. Kane might then get the service he will thrive off of.
Anybody want do add to that?
:ohlord: :Drink1: Drink2: :y:
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.