World Cup. England's chances.

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolk & Chance

Re: World Cup. England's chances.

It was those two or Lukaku and Hazard.
Pretty frightening either way.
If we get to the final I'll be happy to have witnessed something I never thought I would.
A bit of an insurance policy against the disappointment of losing.
But if we win...........holy moly!

Yet again I get ahead of myself...................a semifinal to win yet !!
hoofer2

pgbee wrote:After watching the France - Belgium game it scares me to think of Mbappe and Griezmann running at Maguire, Stones and especially Walker, even if we can beat Croatia.....funny how ex Man U Ferdinand thought current Man U Pogba was the best on the pitch....
Teeing up a pass to Giroud who sends another ball into orbit. Bring it on!
NoMagRyan

Let's get the Croatia game out the way first but yeah, thought France looked really good last night. Wasn't impressed by Mbappe's time-wasting antics at the end but bloody hell he's a good player.
ninestein

There's one way to stop Mbappe, as with any dangerous player… cut off the supply to him in the first place.
In fairness to Belgium, they defended reasonably well last night apart from the set piece where they conceded. Once the game got stretched France looked dangerous on the counter attack. Very rarely is the final match an open affair.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
hoofer2

NoMagRyan wrote:Let's get the Croatia game out the way first but yeah, thought France looked really good last night. Wasn't impressed by Mbappe's time-wasting antics at the end but bloody hell he's a good player.
I couldn't stand the BBCs love in with Mbappe yesterday. Griezman was far more influential in the game and other players performed better than Mbappe. Yes he is a very promising young player but not to the
extent the BBC commentary team were praising him yesterday - especially Danny Murphy. It was as if a script had been pre-agreed.

I have been impressed with Axel Witsel this tournament. I'd like to see him playing in the Premier League. Could provide the steel in Arsenal midfield that has been missing since Viera departed.
RichardM

hoofer2 wrote:I couldn't stand the BBCs love in with Mbappe yesterday. Griezman was far more influential in the game and other players performed better than Mbappe. Yes he is a very promising young player but not to the extent the BBC commentary team were praising him yesterday - especially Danny Murphy. It was as if a script had been pre-agreed
Just what I and StephenM thought.
Last edited by RichardM on 11 Jul 2018, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
StephenM

hoofer2 wrote:
NoMagRyan wrote:Let's get the Croatia game out the way first but yeah, thought France looked really good last night. Wasn't impressed by Mbappe's time-wasting antics at the end but bloody hell he's a good player.
I couldn't stand the BBCs love in with Mbappe yesterday. Griezman was far more influential in the game and other players performed better than Mbappe. Yes he is a very promising young player but not to the
extent the BBC commentary team were praising him yesterday - especially Danny Murphy. It was as if a script had been pre-agreed.

I have been impressed with Axel Witsel this tournament. I'd like to see him playing in the Premier League. Could provide the steel in Arsenal midfield that has been missing since Viera departed.
Did they mention enough that Mbappe is quick? It's as if no other player has ever had pace.
hoofer2

StephenM wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:

Did they mention enough that Mbappe is quick? It's as if no other player has ever had pace.
It made me realise my criticism of Sterling has been too harsh
jerroll

Gutting tonight but i guess its time to remember what happened in the season following Englands last wc semi final!!
ninestein

Gutted that we have lost that semi final. Clearly a bridge too far for our young side, but a great experience for them, and i for one have enjoyed watching them throughout this tournament.

Now then, down to serious business... what happened the season after our last world cup semi final defeat? Is that a Championship winning season playing out in front of my eyes...?
ninestein

Great minds obviously think alike Mr Erroll!
kingpinfid

Tactically poor from Southgate. It was obvious that the game was slipping away from us at least 15 minutes before Croatia equalised. Particularly as they pushed up to stop us playing out of the back and virtually every long goal kick gave possession away.

I was shouting at the TV for a change - formation, personnel, just something to give us a chance of regaining control.

Southgate does nothing and they equalise. How can someone who has played and managed at a high level not see that the game was slipping away, even when we were still leading? Or is he just too cautious and scared of being proactive?
rudebwoyben

kingpinfid wrote:Tactically poor from Southgate. It was obvious that the game was slipping away from us at least 15 minutes before Croatia equalised. Particularly as they pushed up to stop us playing out of the back and virtually every long goal kick gave possession away.

I was shouting at the TV for a change - formation, personnel, just something to give us a chance of regaining control.

Southgate does nothing and they equalise. How can someone who has played and managed at a high level not see that the game was slipping away, even when we were still leading? Or is he just too cautious and scared of being proactive?
I think that England were very wedded to a Plan A of playing 3 at the back with two wing-backs and that both Southgate and Holland were very reluctant to change it. We didn’t really have the personnel to do so either although I would have put on Loftus-Cheek for Alli to give us more presence in midfield and to push Madrid and Rakitic back. We lacked the presence of a playmaker, someone like Lailana, Oxlade-Chamberlain or the Wilshere of 5 years ago, maybe even Shelvey (although I’m not totally convinced by him).
#Beebot

Shelvey and Lewis Cook should have been called up. Shelvey can create while Cook is more comfortable on the ball than Henderson/Dier.

Southgate also needs to not be afraid of bringing off Kane when he's having no impact.
finchleyman

England are not as good as everyone makes them out to be. The first decent team we play we lose to. We were tactically inept, looked tired (why?), ran out of ideas and missed some sitters in the first half which would have sealed the game for us. The second half was particularly poor. We kept giving the ball away, they seemed much quicker than us and wanted the win more. It reminded me a bit of the Bees last season (before the arrival of MA).

Hopefully England can build on all of this but they have a long way to go, that's for sure.