Michael Nelson has left the building.

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
ninestein

Re: Michael Nelson has left the building.

Agree. If the likes of Watson, Ross and Akpa Akpro end up playing for MA, they can be easily replaced. I'd have mixed feelings about Weston going, but it is what it is. It's only the start of the close season, and there's plenty of time to sign the players we need to go for a good season.

With Nelson leaving, we now have to find a centre back, but it now gives Still the opportunity to find someone steady, and maybe has a few years ahead of him. With Nelson, we would always be asking if this is going to be his last season, and will he manage Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday/Tuesday.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
ETBee

Don't be surprised to see Sweeney go.
Norfolkbee

ninestein wrote:Agree. If the likes of Watson, Ross and Akpa Akpro end up playing for MA, they can be easily replaced. I'd have mixed feelings about Weston going, but it is what it is. It's only the start of the close season, and there's plenty of time to sign the players we need to go for a good season.

With Nelson leaving, we now have to find a centre back, but it now gives Still the opportunity to find someone steady, and maybe has a few years ahead of him. With Nelson, we would always be asking if this is going to be his last season, and will he manage Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday/Tuesday.
I think quite a lot of we Barnet fans - myself included - get a bit jittery over the timescale of making new signings because of some of the previous antics that have gone on. Personally, I prefer to see the bulk of business tied up as soon as possible. I don't believe in all this brinkmanship with swathes of players being brought in at the death. If you make early signings, they will benefit from a full pre-season and be able to hit the ground running when the serious business gets under way.
foxy

But TK prefers cheap!
hoofer2

Norfolkbee wrote:
ninestein wrote:Agree. If the likes of Watson, Ross and Akpa Akpro end up playing for MA, they can be easily replaced. I'd have mixed feelings about Weston going, but it is what it is. It's only the start of the close season, and there's plenty of time to sign the players we need to go for a good season.

I think quite a lot of we Barnet fans - myself included - get a bit jittery over the timescale of making new signings because of some of the previous antics that have gone on. Personally, I prefer to see the bulk of business tied up as soon as possible. I don't believe in all this brinkmanship with swathes of players being brought in at the death. If you make early signings, they will benefit from a full pre-season and be able to hit the ground running when the serious business gets under way.
But we have ended up with Lisbie, Batt etc. so no guarantee either. What is important is that the PSFs are used to players playing together. I do not like to see
it when teams put out in PSFs are very different to the team played in first game of league season.
ninestein

The last time John Still was with us, he assembled the side reasonably early. The only time we made a last minute "eve of the season" signing was when Tony Richards signed.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
MCB

ninestein wrote:The last time John Still was with us, he assembled the side reasonably early. The only time we made a last minute "eve of the season" signing was when Tony Richards signed.
Oh god. The great Tony Richards scandal. I'd spent 20 years getting him out of my memory, so thanks for that.

For those unfamiliar with him...

jerroll

ninestein wrote:The last time John Still was with us, he assembled the side reasonably early. The only time we made a last minute "eve of the season" signing was when Tony Richards signed.
Greg Heald signed on the eve of the 1997/8 season so didn't play at Rotherham on the opening day of the season.
Mikel Bee

Several Chesterfield fans claiming Akinde was spotted in their town today. If true it's probably a sign that they trying to nab him.

As a replacement for Nelse, David Stephens is probably solid enough to hold our back line. I don't think he left us on good terms however which may affect our chances.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
jerroll

Mikel Bee wrote:Several Chesterfield fans claiming Akinde was spotted in their town today. If true it's probably a sign that they trying to nab him.

As a replacement for Nelse, David Stephens is probably solid enough to hold our back line. I don't think he left us on good terms however which may affect our chances.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Denzel didn't like working for the dog mainly.
kingpinfid

Good luck to Michael Nelson, he did well for us and if the Club were procrastinating about offering him a new contract, then I can understand why he's moved.

For us, hopefully it frees up some more wages for John Still to bring in plenty of his own signings.
ape1968

Is Bondz NGala a free agent?
"The feeling of stepping out for Barnet for the first time was the same as a Champions League match. It is just joy"

Edgar Davids
jerroll

ape1968 wrote:Is Bondz NGala a free agent?
contracted until 2019 according to a list on the daggers forum.
becbee

jerroll wrote:
ape1968 wrote:Is Bondz NGala a free agent?
contracted until 2019 according to a list on the daggers forum.
Dag & Red announced that all 14 contracted players would be made available for transfer.
WhetstoneBee

Really embarrassed by how our club continues to treat people who deserve so much better. No wonder we struggle to attract good staff and players given the reputation for how the club is run and how it treats loyal staff.

Good luck to Michael - he deserves better than our club anyway. Bad employers reap what they sow.