FA Trophy

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolk & Chance

Re: FA Trophy

I hadn't appreciated that the vase final was also played today at Wembley.
Great idea.
Over 31000 fans.
I don't think we need worry about a 10000+ attendance on the slim chance we actually get to a final.
rudebwoyben

Norfolk & Chance wrote:I hadn't appreciated that the vase final was also played today at Wembley.
Great idea.
Over 31000 fans.
I don't think we need worry about a 10000+ attendance on the slim chance we actually get to a final.
Thatcham certainly brought a lot of fans and apparently Bromley sold 18,000 tickets for the FA Trophy final.
Norfolk & Chance

18000?
That's pretty impressive.
It's not immediately obvious what nearby EFL club's fans might possibly have supported them for the day. Gillingham maybe.
But they must have a significant fan base of their own to sell that many.
Edd1

Norfolk & Chance wrote:I hadn't appreciated that the vase final was also played today at Wembley.
Great idea.
Over 31000 fans.
When the new Wembley was developed the local council put a limit on how many events of various sizes could be held in a year. With that in mind they made FAT and FAV a double header on the same day. A really good idea. I would suggest the Conference North and South play off finals could also be done on a similar basis although I would suggest somewhere a bit smaller but still with a bit cudos would be more appropriate, say Villa Park?
Norfolk & Chance

Thanks EDD
I'll say this without spitting, but even the Ricoh holds over 30,000.
Something central with at least 30k capacity would be an excellent idea.
And would likely result in a full-ish stadium.
hoofer2

Norfolk & Chance wrote:18000?
That's pretty impressive.
It's not immediately obvious what nearby EFL club's fans might possibly have supported them for the day. Gillingham maybe.
But they must have a significant fan base of their own to sell that many.
Loads of Palace fans in Bromley
Norfolk & Chance

Aah, that makes sense.
Psycho

What about the hor d'oeuvres first though? It was a very low turnout for our last game on a Saturday in the competition on a December afternoon at Concord Rangers but it was a nice, little ground. Nightmare getting back to the station in the dark afterwards.
GenkiDev

Psycho wrote:What about the hor d'oeuvres first though? It was a very low turnout for our last game on a Saturday in the competition on a December afternoon at Concord Rangers but it was a nice, little ground. Nightmare getting back to the station in the dark afterwards.
Damn that place was Ice.

Some of their old fans leering over our very young female fans was pretty disgusting though. Don't think anyone but me noticed it. Was too cold for a ruckus though
alexbach

Well done John, Paul and Patrick for their original post. Attended the most recent trophy final before the double header. Terrific game it was too, North Ferriby enjoying their time in the sun.{hardly "tinpot"] Although Borehamwood came unstuck they'd have enjoyed being at the national stadium . We should go for it, if the chance arises

Sent from my 5046Y using Tapatalk
MCB

There is a risk (real one) that new Wembley owners could switch out the FA Trophy & Conference Play Off final to a more appropriate stadium and replace it with American Chuckball.

As per above, seeing my club at wembley in my lifetime is a very real priority of mine, I still see it as the spiritual home of football, and I feel a real sense of (probably misplaced) pride walking out of Wembley Park and watching teams line up.

There are very few L2 & Conference clubs that havn't played at Wembley in the 25 odd years i've been supporting the bees. I think it would also be an amazing galvanising force.

I look at some of dross that has been there with their fans during that time - Enfield, Wealdstone, Stevenage, North Ferriby United, FGR, Gateshead. About time we had our day in the spotlight as the most successful non-league team ever*

*shared with macclesfield
hoofer2

MCB wrote:There is a risk (real one) that new Wembley owners could switch out the FA Trophy & Conference Play Off final to a more appropriate stadium and replace it with American Chuckball.

As per above, seeing my club at wembley in my lifetime is a very real priority of mine, I still see it as the spiritual home of football, and I feel a real sense of (probably misplaced) pride walking out of Wembley Park and watching teams line up.

There are very few L2 & Conference clubs that havn't played at Wembley in the 25 odd years i've been supporting the bees. I think it would also be an amazing galvanising force.

I look at some of dross that has been there with their fans during that time - Enfield, Wealdstone, Stevenage, North Ferriby United, FGR, Gateshead. About time we had our day in the spotlight as the most successful non-league team ever*

The most concerning thing about the possible Wembley sale is that there appears to be no tendering process. i.e. a very rich owner of a number of sports franchises fancies some real estate and one of our iconic sporting venues. If it has to be sold, make it to the highest bidder with assurances of a minimum number of football games a year (real football that is)

In spite of the money that could be raised from a sale, I really hope it does not happen. The investment in "grassroots" always remains lip service only and I'm sure the richest clubs in the land will find yet another way of creaming off yet more money.
jerroll

MCB wrote:There is a risk (real one) that new Wembley owners could switch out the FA Trophy & Conference Play Off final to a more appropriate stadium and replace it with American Chuckball.

Why, the NFL season runs from September to February - they will be happy for the income from cup finals and playoff games out of season.
MCB

jerroll wrote: Why, the NFL season runs from September to February - they will be happy for the income from cup finals and playoff games out of season.
American chuckball, American hitball, 101 ball cricket, Muse, Rolling Hipreplacements, donkey racing, kabadi, basically anything and everything from music to fake sports.

If they are only allowed so many events, or someone else wants the weekend for more money, or someone actually realises it's more practical to play the games at a premier league stadium, well, who knows what the future brings, but no-one can be sure that the two events we could get to Wembley with next year will be at Wembley in the future...

So, let's just knock it out the park next year. Would be happy with a 10-0 vs Wealdstone in the FA Trophy and 2-1 last minute o/g winner from John Akinde vs Chesterfield in the play offs to send us up.
eastbarnetsupporter

I had a discussion earlier this week with how many fans would Barnet take to Wembley if the occasion came about.

On our big days out we get around 5/6k (Gateshead, Chesterfield, Torquay, Old Trafford away).

I think 10,000 would be the number we'd take, which doesn't sound much. 3/5 of that support will be day trippers, friends of Barnet fans, soft spot for barnet, more than anything (same goes for all big games).

Barnet really do have a 'core' 2,000-2,500 fans at best (av attendances over the years backs this up)

What do we think?