Thank you Martin Allen and Good Luck

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
ape1968

Thank you Martin Allen and Good Luck

There's been a whole lot of backlash about the Dog deciding not to stay with us. Judas, money grabber and all of that.

Let's just put a different perspective. I'd like to say - thank you Martin. Thanks for putting the pride back.

Every time Allen's been here he's put belief and momentum into the team and pride and energy into the support.

First time he was here way back in 2003/4 he took a team that was going absolutely nowhere and shook it up. With Peter Shreeves' team you knew that as soon as Junior Agogo went off we weren't going to do anything. Stagnant. Mid-table mediocrity for life. Allen built a squad that immediately made the play-offs and which was the foundation of Fairclough's championship winning side the following year.

When he came back in 2011 - yes we all know he dumped us for Notts County - but he did enough to revitalise the team so Graz was able to get them over the line. And anything he owed us for leaving us then, he more than paid back by keeping us up at Burton the next time. He wanted to stay after that but we decided we had better ideas. He went to Gillingham and took them to League 1. We went down to the Conference.

He led us out of the Conference in a season where we were able to celebrate from the first day 5-0 away victory at Chester to the 2-0 promotion game against Gateshead. And even if he couldn't save us this time - he did enough in the short time he was hear to breath life into a club that was at the lowest ebb I can remember. When you have life long supporters like Reckless and John Errol questioning why they bother then this club is in a very bad place. Lots of people were feeling that way - until Allen came back.

I don't by any means think he is faultless - I think he treated Mauro pretty shoddily and I suspect David Stephens too. Some of the games in League 2 were pretty dull to say the least. And obviously all of the people on here who call him out for following the money have never taken a pay rise or moved jobs for better money.

I have been fortunate enough to have seen the glory years of the Fry-Flashman era and the Fairclough promotion teams. But my 16 year old son - who started going to Barnet before he could walk - recently pointed out that all of the good times he has had as a Bees fan (home and away for at least a decade) have been down to Martin Allen. So for all of these reasons, and for having a real gift for inspiring belief in players and pride in supporters - I say Thank you Martin Allen. I wish you all the very best for next season (except the games against us) and for whatever you do in the future.
"The feeling of stepping out for Barnet for the first time was the same as a Champions League match. It is just joy"

Edgar Davids
barnetjohn

Re: Thank you Martin Allen and Good Luck

Well said.
jerroll

ape1968 wrote:There's been a whole lot of backlash about the Dog deciding not to stay with us. Judas, money grabber and all of that.

Let's just put a different perspective. I'd like to say - thank you Martin. Thanks for putting the pride back.

Every time Allen's been here he's put belief and momentum into the team and pride and energy into the support.

First time he was here way back in 2003/4 he took a team that was going absolutely nowhere and shook it up. With Peter Shreeves' team you knew that as soon as Junior Agogo went off we weren't going to do anything. Stagnant. Mid-table mediocrity for life. Allen built a squad that immediately made the play-offs and which was the foundation of Fairclough's championship winning side the following year.

When he came back in 2011 - yes we all know he dumped us for Notts County - but he did enough to revitalise the team so Graz was able to get them over the line. And anything he owed us for leaving us then, he more than paid back by keeping us up at Burton the next time. He wanted to stay after that but we decided we had better ideas. He went to Gillingham and took them to League 1. We went down to the Conference.

He led us out of the Conference in a season where we were able to celebrate from the first day 5-0 away victory at Chester to the 2-0 promotion game against Gateshead. And even if he couldn't save us this time - he did enough in the short time he was hear to breath life into a club that was at the lowest ebb I can remember. When you have life long supporters like Reckless and John Errol questioning why they bother then this club is in a very bad place. Lots of people were feeling that way - until Allen came back.

I don't by any means think he is faultless - I think he treated Mauro pretty shoddily and I suspect David Stephens too. Some of the games in League 2 were pretty dull to say the least. And obviously all of the people on here who call him out for following the money have never taken a pay rise or moved jobs for better money.

I have been fortunate enough to have seen the glory years of the Fry-Flashman era and the Fairclough promotion teams. But my 16 year old son - who started going to Barnet before he could walk - recently pointed out that all of the good times he has had as a Bees fan (home and away for at least a decade) have been down to Martin Allen. So for all of these reasons, and for having a real gift for inspiring belief in players and pride in supporters - I say Thank you Martin Allen. I wish you all the very best for next season (except the games against us) and for whatever you do in the future.
Classy post Nik
ninestein

I'd echo that. The fact we keep having to ask him back speaks volumes. There has to come a point when we discover our next talismanic manager. Hopefully it will be in the very near future.

I just hope we finish above Chesterfield next season. Hopefully they finish 2nd...
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Jon83

Well said Nik.

There’s something about Barnet & MA since he first joined. There have been some lows (mainly when he’s left!) but there have been some unbelievable highs with him in charge of this club.
LoudmouthBFC

ape1968 wrote:There's been a whole lot of backlash about the Dog deciding not to stay with us. Judas, money grabber and all of that.

Attachments
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (2.2 MiB) Viewed 3227 times
aclassman

Martin Allen did his best and nearly pulled off the big escape.
He did what he was brought in to do to his best ability.

Why are fans slating him off now after all he did for the club over the last 8 games.
If TK really wanted him then he should of sorted a contract out before those 8 games ended.
MA has done no wrong, he was not under contract so what's the problem
Good luck MA
I'm sure MA will be back at Barnet again one day when TK next hits the panic button.
Mikel Bee

Yep, thanks to MA for his efforts in keeping us up. He had a good crack at it and came very close. I'm not upset to see him leave though. While he'd have got us challenging next season the inevitable slide towards hoofball and Muggleton missiles would have made for tough watching. Plus it's also difficult to take what he says seriously after years #FakeNews injury updates, claiming not to know where we are in the table or who we play next. His comment in his post Chesterfield interview "This has been a great day" also jarred a bit. It was a pretty awful day from what I remember. I think at that point he already knew he was off and was going a bit too far with the goodbyes.

All the best to him but I hope as a club we can finally break out of the Allen cycle.
letchbee94

Well put Nik.
ryan_bees

Great Post!

I could not agree more, i love Martin Allen he is a bees legend and when he comes back next time i will embrace it again :D :D :D
WinchyBee

Spot on, we were a sinking ship, disillusioned and without a chance come Feb. He brought back some pride and love to the club. Good decision from all to go in different directions (in the long-term).
barnet34

Good luck M A. despite our relegation he has given us back our pride and we look forward next season with more optimism. The truth of the matter is that we cannot compete with other clubs to keep him. He has taken the better offer and thats exactly what 99% of the Barnet fans would have done. however I have to be honest and say despite being in the play off position when he left last time, The hoofball, throwball, park the bus tactics were beginning to wear me down. I started to enjoy the game again under rossi despite the injury crisis he had to endure. He was a very unlucky man.
Masuka

Martin Allen came to my good friend Chris East' funeral and brought players with him. Top man on and off the pitch. In my eyes he is a bees legend.
Once a Bee ALWAYS a Bee
BeesKnees

Echo above, when I got wind he might be coming back I knew it would make the rest of the season a hell of a lot more enjoyable, even if the damage was already done.