The good the bad and the m'eh

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Edd1

The good the bad and the m'eh

Don't worry. Not yet another thread about who we should and shouldn't keep. Simply an observation about the current squad.

Strange though it may seem given our league position, looking at the current squad, there aren't really any terrible players. By that I mean players who would trouble anyone's all time worst Barnet XI. There are no forwards to compete with Shaun Batt, Kelly Haag or Cliff Akurang. No one in Midfield as woeful as Fraser Toms. No defender capable of quite the same levels of comical incompetence as Tim Alexander.

What I have noticed though is we have an exceptional glut of what I call "m'eh" players. By that I mean there is nothing particularly awful about them. They can run without tripping over their own feet, can pass the ball and make something resembling a tackle. Yet looking at what they bring to the squad you wonder what they are there for, other than to pad out the squad with injury cover. We've had these players before. The classic example I like to use is Danny Brown. He was there, did a job, but lets face it pretty forgetable without actually being full on crap. It also includes the likes of Neil Midgely, Tony Richards, Adam Gross, Louis Soars etc. Players that were never going to set the world on fire and a few of them could be carried by other players in the squad. Any given season there's been one or two of them but this season there seems to be far more than usual.

Like I said, just an observation.