4 points from last 3 games? Good or bad?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
X-Bumble

Re: 4 points from last 3 games? Good or bad?

kingpinfid wrote:Allowing for the honeymoon period a lot of new managers bring, you could argue that 6 points from 6 matches is poor.

It's stating the obvious, but we need to start winning (not drawing) matches on a regular basis to have any chance of staying up.

Right now if you offered me relegation on the final day of the season, I'd take that, because I suspect the reality under Westley will be a lot more embarrassing (i.e. relegation over Easter).
I think that would be correct if he had taken over a team in mid-table or higher. But when you take in consideration our run of results before he came, then it is a definite improvement. It takes games to bottom the curve out and then start to turn it around. We can see this is happening already.
BeeBoi1980

Hiveoccupier wrote:
To bee or not to bee wrote:The fact of the matter is that Eames got 14 points out of his 17 games. That’s less than a point a game. Westley has got 6 from 6 from a team that could factually be described as an unfit demoralised shambles when he took over. The fault for that doesn’t lie just with McGhee in my opinion but also at least partly with the previous incumbent. But that’s my opinion not a fact and we need to move on and get behind the team. A win tomorrow is essential if we are going to survive. That’s a fact hopefully we can all agree on.
Eames was unlucky with injuries losing 2/3rds of his first choice line up after we had started the season well and played some of the best football a Barnet team has played in the league in the last two decades. It would seem that Westley is unlucky with almost a full squad plus the three players he signed up during the transfer window. Lets hope he gets lucky soon.
We've played top 7 teams in 4 of Westley's 6 games, and we have been the most competitive we have been all season. As I said in a previous post I wouldn't be attributing any blame to RE, I thought he had bad luck that turned into a loss of confidence around the club. In other circumstances he may have had a better run, it was a shame we went 13 in a row without a win as I think he is a little better than that.

But to be lauding him ahead of GW makes no sense. Coulthirst played really well for RE and we got a few points. It was still less per game than GW. But even comparing across such a small sample of games makes no sense. When GW has 17 games under his belt then lets have a look side by side.

Opinions are part of what make football so great, hence why I'd prefer no VAR and more debate (though VAR itself has bought a lot of debate). I just think it's a bit early to be starting any debate on Eames v Westley. McGhee v a paper cup is a debate I'd be happy to see.
John_c

BeeBoi1980 wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:
To bee or not to bee wrote:The fact of the matter is that Eames got 14 points out of his 17 games. That’s less than a point a game. Westley has got 6 from 6 from a team that could factually be described as an unfit demoralised shambles when he took over. The fault for that doesn’t lie just with McGhee in my opinion but also at least partly with the previous incumbent. But that’s my opinion not a fact and we need to move on and get behind the team. A win tomorrow is essential if we are going to survive. That’s a fact hopefully we can all agree on.
Eames was unlucky with injuries losing 2/3rds of his first choice line up after we had started the season well and played some of the best football a Barnet team has played in the league in the last two decades. It would seem that Westley is unlucky with almost a full squad plus the three players he signed up during the transfer window. Lets hope he gets lucky soon.
We've played top 7 teams in 4 of Westley's 6 games, and we have been the most competitive we have been all season. As I said in a previous post I wouldn't be attributing any blame to RE, I thought he had bad luck that turned into a loss of confidence around the club. In other circumstances he may have had a better run, it was a shame we went 13 in a row without a win as I think he is a little better than that.

But to be lauding him ahead of GW makes no sense. Coulthirst played really well for RE and we got a few points. It was still less per game than GW. But even comparing across such a small sample of games makes no sense. When GW has 17 games under his belt then lets have a look side by side.

Opinions are part of what make football so great, hence why I'd prefer no VAR and more debate (though VAR itself has bought a lot of debate). I just think it's a bit early to be starting any debate on Eames v Westley. McGhee v a paper cup is a debate I'd be happy to see.
Not sure if you've noticed or not but I don't think Derek likes Westley :-)

I use Tapatalk like the cool kids
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
rudebwoyben

John_c wrote:
BeeBoi1980 wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:

Not sure if you've noticed or not but I don't think Derek likes Westley :-)

I use Tapatalk like the cool kids
He does seem to have some strange opinions such as blaming Tony K for the one bit of the ground that he didn't build but that nevertheless the view from the South Terrace is superior to that of the West Stand!

Regarding Rossi, I think he lacked a couple of essential attributes to be a successful manager - A high degree of self-confidence in his abilities and a thick skin.
jerroll

The biggest shame is Rossi Eames appears to have all the great attributes of a classic no2, good cop as far as the players are concerned and from all accounts a good coach too - marry that to a good tacticial/man manager and you would be onto a winner.
JWTBee

jerroll wrote:The biggest shame is Rossi Eames appears to have all the great attributes of a classic no2, good cop as far as the players are concerned and from all accounts a good coach too - marry that to a good tacticial/man manager and you would be onto a winner.
Maybe if Nelson leaves at the end of the season he could become GW's No.2? But,of course,I have no idea if they actually like each other & have the same approach.Anwsers on a postcard! Or from the mighty Jerroll!
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
NoMagRyan

RE vs GW isn't a fair comparison because RE was incredibly unlucky with injuries, which triggered a loss of form and confidence, and I don't think RE had the experience to reverse the slide. Of course a manager NEEDS that sort of experience but nobody could have foreseen the injuries while he was 'learning' on the job. Always a risk when taking a chance on an inexperienced manager, sadly.

GW has a much healthier squad but we've been unlucky and he has made some odd tactical decisions so far.

But arguably what matters is GW >>>>>>>>>>>>> MM, who was on Kevin Nugent's level of shockingly incompetent.
Last edited by NoMagRyan on 20 Feb 2018, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
MCB

My bigger fear is GW over the close season going 'full Westley'. He's been quite controlled so far, but you feel it's only a matter of time.

In the meantime, he's the greatest manager we've ever had and brilliants and wonderfuls as long as he saves us as far as i'm concerned.

#WesslesBarmyArmy
DerekRocholl

BeeBoi1980 wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:

A fair comparison would be Ross'is PPG last seasons against Westley's this. On this basis Rossi is miles ahead of Westley (and for that matter any manager apart from Edgar Davids that we have in the league for the last 20 years). Let's hope Westley catches up and will him on to that feat.