Supporters’ Liaison Group; some questions

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
petersperoni

Re: Supporters’ Liaison Group; some questions

Hi MCB,

I can only answer from what I know or have experienced

Does anyone from the old Supporters Association know the kind of losses incurred by the association / club in running a full season of away coaches?
At a meeting 2 or 3 years ago (my memory is not what it was) TK said the loss was equal to half a reasonable squad player, and from my experience the losses must have become greater as time went on.

Also wondering what it would take to have a Supporters Club that had everyone's support - none of the hostility of the old trust / club, as there is universal support for the fact that we need one, and the Supporters’ Liaison Group is a poor alternative.
What a good question. I believe even when times were good the membership in numbers was, I seem to recall, about 10% of our average home attendance but I may well be wrong and hope someone corrects me.

i.e.... what would be broadly supportive and allow us to move forward and have bite? Things that spring to mind:

- A constitution that believes in a spiritual desire to return to the Borough of Barnet (without placing any emphasis on making it happen in the short term) But wouldn't this exclude supporters who live locally, those who now have a preference for the Hive although granted there is nothing to compare it to presently in the Borough of Barnet, those who now have an easier journey than Underhill and, I guess, other reasons.
- Independence to the club but a commitment to support it
- Improved supporters representation at the club (i.e. an aim to have a supporter on the board) This is the aim of a Trust
- Priority on improving the supporters experience (including running coach services), and a focus on growing support (especially for children) TK approved a supporters Trust as it legally gave those running it protection should things go wrong, i.e. something to do with organising coach travel. This protection is something a Supporters Association would not have
- Ensuring the club survives for another 130 years through financial security (and long term aim of ownership - the old Supporters Club already has a small % of shares in Barnet FC which I guess are in limbo) I agree
- Regular meetings with the chairman / club (i.e. bi-monthly) to put forward members opinions. We have quarterly meetings so this shouldn't prove to be a problem. The difficulty comes in deciding which of several opinions would be put forward
- Run events like player of the year? This would need to be discussed with the Chairman

This for example is the Arsenal Independent Supporters’ Association rather bland but appropriate constitution: http://www.fsf.org.uk/assets/Downloads/ ... nrules.pdf To be honest I haven't looked but will when I have more time

Is it possible to move forward without re-opening the wounds of the past? To accept that we the fans and club would be stronger with a club? Would there be sufficient people prepared to throw their hats into the ring? I believe the first thing to decide upon is Supporters Association or Trust and I'm the wrong person to advise (memory issue). Then people would be fully aware of what is expected and then a recruitment drive could start. However I did throw out the suggestion of forming a Trust on here and on BTID on Facebook. One person replied positively and another offered help whenever he could. Is there demand?

Something that someone else mentioned prior would be something like a £2 a month level of membership (a 500 club or so) that would fund it, and cover the losses of coaches, or a one off annual payment (£15 adults £5 juniors). Good idea but Treasurer needed!

I'm not a coach user for away journeys, but I think it's important for the club & the players (if we can get over the pick up issues). Do users of the Percy Bus know if the aim is for it always to run independently, or if a Supporters Club ran a coach those users would use it?Only Steve can answer that. I think Steve has his loyal customers who enjoy the days out he offers which is not what some want. When the SA ran the coaches I understand it was used mainly by the older generation who now no longer travel anyway. When the club first started with the coaches we had a good turnout including quite a few youngsters. These youngsters have now grown up and, like many others, prefer the relaxed alcohol rules trains offer as well as very good fares if booked soon enough.There are times,(away evening games for instance) when a coach would come into it's own but the team's form has lot to do with many supporterl.

Anyway, the above are just thoughts, not opinions. Just wondering how things can move forward.

MCB, these are only my thoughts and I'd be happy to discuss them further with you if you'd like but the big question is 'Is a supporters organisation actually wanted'? For me, I'd say yes - but I'm only me.
alexbach

petersperoni wrote:Hi MCB,

I can only answer from what I know or have experienced

Does anyone from the old Supporters Association know the kind of losses incurred by the association / club in running a full season of away coaches?
At a meeting 2 or 3 years ago (my memory is not what it was) TK said the loss was equal to half a reasonable squad player, and from my experience the losses must have become greater as time went on.

Also wondering what it would take to have a Supporters Club that had everyone's support - none of the hostility of the old trust / club, as there is universal support for the fact that we need one, and the Supporters’ Liaison Group is a poor alternative.
What a good question. I believe even when times were good the membership in numbers was, I seem to recall, about 10% of our average home attendance but I may well be wrong and hope someone corrects me.

i.e.... what would be broadly supportive and allow us to move forward and have bite? Things that spring to mind:

- A constitution that believes in a spiritual desire to return to the Borough of Barnet (without placing any emphasis on making it happen in the short term) But wouldn't this exclude supporters who live locally, those who now have a preference for the Hive although granted there is nothing to compare it to presently in the Borough of Barnet, those who now have an easier journey than Underhill and, I guess, other reasons.
- Independence to the club but a commitment to support it
- Improved supporters representation at the club (i.e. an aim to have a supporter on the board) This is the aim of a Trust
- Priority on improving the supporters experience (including running coach services), and a focus on growing support (especially for children) TK approved a supporters Trust as it legally gave those running it protection should things go wrong, i.e. something to do with organising coach travel. This protection is something a Supporters Association would not have
- Ensuring the club survives for another 130 years through financial security (and long term aim of ownership - the old Supporters Club already has a small % of shares in Barnet FC which I guess are in limbo) I agree
- Regular meetings with the chairman / club (i.e. bi-monthly) to put forward members opinions. We have quarterly meetings so this shouldn't prove to be a problem. The difficulty comes in deciding which of several opinions would be put forward
- Run events like player of the year? This would need to be discussed with the Chairman

This for example is the Arsenal Independent Supporters’ Association rather bland but appropriate constitution: http://www.fsf.org.uk/assets/Downloads/ ... nrules.pdf To be honest I haven't looked but will when I have more time

Is it possible to move forward without re-opening the wounds of the past? To accept that we the fans and club would be stronger with a club? Would there be sufficient people prepared to throw their hats into the ring? I believe the first thing to decide upon is Supporters Association or Trust and I'm the wrong person to advise (memory issue). Then people would be fully aware of what is expected and then a recruitment drive could start. However I did throw out the suggestion of forming a Trust on here and on BTID on Facebook. One person replied positively and another offered help whenever he could. Is there demand?

Something that someone else mentioned prior would be something like a £2 a month level of membership (a 500 club or so) that would fund it, and cover the losses of coaches, or a one off annual payment (£15 adults £5 juniors). Good idea but Treasurer needed!

I'm not a coach user for away journeys, but I think it's important for the club & the players (if we can get over the pick up issues). Do users of the Percy Bus know if the aim is for it always to run independently, or if a Supporters Club ran a coach those users would use it?Only Steve can answer that. I think Steve has his loyal customers who enjoy the days out he offers which is not what some want. When the SA ran the coaches I understand it was used mainly by the older generation who now no longer travel anyway. When the club first started with the coaches we had a good turnout including quite a few youngsters. These youngsters have now grown up and, like many others, prefer the relaxed alcohol rules trains offer as well as very good fares if booked soon enough.There are times,(away evening games for instance) when a coach would come into it's own but the team's form has lot to do with many supporterl.

Anyway, the above are just thoughts, not opinions. Just wondering how things can move forward.

MCB, these are only my thoughts and I'd be happy to discuss them further with you if you'd like but the big question is 'Is a supporters organisation actually wanted'? For me, I'd say yes - but I'm only me.
Steve Percy would have coach figures somewhere in potters Bar

Sent from my 5046Y using Tapatalk
MCB

if anyone disputes how beneficial a Trust can be the latest AFC dons accounts (so roughly our size) showed their trust contributed £152,000 in the year to the club.
DerekRocholl

For what it's worth I helped the London Broncos Supporters Association (LBSA) to get established a few years back.

They set up using a Freemium membership model - i.e. anyone could join and take part in the democratic processes of the Association for free. They then raise money through events, raffles and add on services. They now sponsor the the London Broncos Academy team and run heritage days, a hall of fame for past players, and away day travel to major games and Rugby League festival weekends.

In the last financial year they generated an income, inclusive of member donations, of £8k of which c£4k went back into the club in one form or another with most of the remainder being used to pay for prizes and mechandise used for fund raising.

They have grown at a steady state over the last few years and have kept everything as straight forward and inclusive as they can. They now have over nearly 300 members (last seasons average home attendance was 860) and decided at their last AGM to convert to a Trust under the Supporters Direct model.

If anyone did consider starting another supporters organisation for Barnet FC I would recommend a similar route and especially the freemium membership model which helps create maximum participation for minimum effort and cost.
hoofer2

Can family stand be relocated to a block in West Stand until a roof covers full East Terrace? Many children were really suffering in the sun, and it is same when it's raining.

Or at least relocate to area seemingly reserved for community groups?
DerekRocholl

hoofer2 wrote:Can family stand be relocated to a block in West Stand until a roof covers full East Terrace? Many children were really suffering in the sun, and it is same when it's raining.

Or at least relocate to area seemingly reserved for community groups?
I suspect we will all be located in the West Stand for many games next season.
petersperoni

Thank you folks - noted. It will be raised at our next meeting, date yet to be decided.