Chesterfield (Away) The Scottish Fiction Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
ricardobee

Re: Chesterfield (Away) The Scottish Fiction Match Thread

Took a look at Wikipedia to see how many managers have served under this chairman. Since inheriting Ray Clemence, there have been 31 changes of manager (that's including John Still, Paul Fairclough and Martin Allen making return visits). 31 in 22 years. Says it all really!
A one-man band whose successes have included pissing off two councils, building a white elephant training ground that struggles to entice a decent home support and being in charge of a team that bumps along the bottom of League Two regularly.
And I for one wish he had buggered off a long time ago. At least we might still be in our home town.
Bee_Forever

Not going to get in to the Hive discussion (I hate the place) but taken on the merits of our on field performances Tony has made some fairly major errors in coaching staff recruitment in recent seasons.

The only competent league managers we have had have been Allen and clemency both of whom TK stumbled across and we seem to beer from underqualifoed rookie to over the hill experienced with little in between. I would go as far as to say Tony's management appointments in the football league have a 100% failure rate.

Am sure he is devastated at our latest slump but the saddest thing is i have no confidence in his decision making on playing matters.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Bee_Forever

Or his ability to get things right

Norfolkbee

Yes, I loved Underhill, but fully accept the commercial reasons behind the move to The Hive. It could be a really fantastic set-up if only TK gets his act together on the football side. He needs to stop his obsession with finding the next Eddie Howe, which inevitably ends as blind panic sets in with him employing some equally equally unsuitable short-term fix. He needs to push the boat out on an established lower EFL manager and let them bring in their own backroom team. Above all, they must have a complete free hand to identify the players they require with TK trusting their judgment. No more sharp-suited wide boys playing at being a football wheeler dealer.
rudebwoyben

Bee_Forever wrote:Not going to get in to the Hive discussion (I hate the place) but taken on the merits of our on field performances Tony has made some fairly major errors in coaching staff recruitment in recent seasons.

The only competent league managers we have had have been Allen and clemency both of whom TK stumbled across and we seem to beer from underqualifoed rookie to over the hill experienced with little in between. I would go as far as to say Tony's management appointments in the football league have a 100% failure rate.

Am sure he is devastated at our latest slump but the saddest thing is i have no confidence in his decision making on playing matters.

Would you say that John Still was a failure (aside from the football)?
Berlinbee

rudebwoyben wrote:
Bee_Forever wrote:Not going to get in to the Hive discussion (I hate the place) but taken on the merits of our on field performances Tony has made some fairly major errors in coaching staff recruitment in recent seasons.

Would you say that John Still was a failure (aside from the football)?
Couldn't agree more. As much as he has done for the club, his ability to employ stable, competitive and good managers has been diabolical, It's been more than a decade, nearly 20 years of terrible managerial appointments by Kleanthous! From Tony Cottee to Ian Hendon, Mark Robson and Edgar Davids (don't care about the name, he was a terrible manager). The panic re-employment of Martin Allen, Kevin Nugent, Rossi Eames and now Mark McGhee. Just awful. Martin Allen being brought in on so many occasions says everything you need to know about his incompetence. How many of you have had this in the past, and will have it this this week... a football supporting friend who'll see the desperate situation we're in and jokingly suggest Martin Allen? It's laughable.
If Kleanthous had a boss, he'd be sacked with this track record. Simply dreadful.
RichardM

Norfolkbee wrote:Yes, I loved Underhill, but fully accept the commercial reasons behind the move to The Hive. It could be a really fantastic set-up if only TK gets his act together on the football side. He needs to stop his obsession with finding the next Eddie Howe, which inevitably ends as blind panic sets in with him employing some equally equally unsuitable short-term fix. He needs to push the boat out on an established lower EFL manager and let them bring in their own backroom team. Above all, they must have a complete free hand to identify the players they require with TK trusting their judgment. No more sharp-suited wide boys playing at being a football wheeler dealer.
I understand he has tried to bring in the type of manager you suggest but without success.
Norfolkbee

RichardM wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:Yes, I loved Underhill, but fully accept the commercial reasons behind the move to The Hive. It could be a really fantastic set-up if only TK gets his act together on the football side. He needs to stop his obsession with finding the next Eddie Howe, which inevitably ends as blind panic sets in with him employing some equally equally unsuitable short-term fix. He needs to push the boat out on an established lower EFL manager and let them bring in their own backroom team. Above all, they must have a complete free hand to identify the players they require with TK trusting their judgment. No more sharp-suited wide boys playing at being a football wheeler dealer.
I understand he has tried to bring in the type of manager you suggest but without success.
If not, why not? It's either money or TK's approach. Money should be easily remedied but I'm not so sure about the other. How long was Justin Edinburgh on the market before going to Orient?
Last edited by Norfolkbee on 11 Dec 2017, 08:55, edited 2 times in total.
BEEGONE

RichardM wrote:
Because he does everything on the cheap...
Reckless

gowerfan wrote:Rumour has it that James Thorne is the bad apple. Complete plonker. Rossi Eames looking to leave apparently as he is very unhappy.
In my opinion this is just as serious as the performances. Are you prepared to elaborate on where and how you got this rumour please Gower Fan?
becbee

Honestly, the defeat at Chesterfield was bad - but does it really justify all this "everything has been terrible for the last 20 years" over-reaction?
I've supported Barnet now for almost 18 years. That first season we reached the L2 play offs. Yes, since then we've suffered 2 relegations and have come close on other occasions. But we have also been in Conference play offs, been promoted as Champions twice, reached the FA Cup 4th round twice, played at Old Trafford, reached the Johnstone's Paint area final.
Yes, we've had some poor managers. But, taking Lawrie Sanchez as an example - nobody complained when he was appointed. Hardly TK's fault that Sanchez took the job then decided he couldn't be bothered. Or Edgar Davids - an egomaniac. But he brought some excitement to the place and was within a whisker of saving us from the relegation which had seemed completely inevitable at the time of his appointment. Etc.
And as for TK doing "everything on the cheap", that's a ridiculous, baseless comment when it is quite clear based on some of the players we've signed that that is not the case.
No manager comes with a guarantee of success. Look at the turnover in managers, quite clearly apart from Arsenal and Exeter, all the other chairmen have been making mistakes too.
dawat

Without joining in any knocking that seems to be going on, what has really amazed me over the years is the apparent ability to miss the bl**dy obvious by the managers we have employed. From in the past continually playing long high balls to a short not particularly fast lone striker to the current omission of a decent defensive midfielder from the squad. Do you really expect professional managers to not be able to see what almost every amateur observer in the ground can see?
I didn't get to see the Chesterfield game fortunately (as I have to watch my blood pressure) but from the excellent Loudmouth Video report (thanks Matt) it was obvious very early on that the wrong left back had been chosen, the wrong team formation applied and inevitably resulted in the team being overrun on that side of the pitch. Yet the professionals in charge of our team either didn't spot this weakness or didn't seem to know what to do about it.
I await with interest the January transfer window and the return of our 'imminent' injured players, and will restrain any more negativity until this has taken place!
John_c

becbee wrote:Honestly, the defeat at Chesterfield was bad - but does it really justify all this "everything has been terrible for the last 20 years" over-reaction?
I've supported Barnet now for almost 18 years. That first season we reached the L2 play offs. Yes, since then we've suffered 2 relegations and have come close on other occasions. But we have also been in Conference play offs, been promoted as Champions twice, reached the FA Cup 4th round twice, played at Old Trafford, reached the Johnstone's Paint area final.
Yes, we've had some poor managers. But, taking Lawrie Sanchez as an example - nobody complained when he was appointed. Hardly TK's fault that Sanchez took the job then decided he couldn't be bothered. Or Edgar Davids - an egomaniac. But he brought some excitement to the place and was within a whisker of saving us from the relegation which had seemed completely inevitable at the time of his appointment. Etc.
And as for TK doing "everything on the cheap", that's a ridiculous, baseless comment when it is quite clear based on some of the players we've signed that that is not the case.
No manager comes with a guarantee of success. Look at the turnover in managers, quite clearly apart from Arsenal and Exeter, all the other chairmen have been making mistakes too.
Over on BTID (Bonkers Till I Die) it's the worst it's been for 40 years, apparently :mellow:
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
John_c

It would appear quite difficult to pick a manager who will bring us success. I must admit I had no idea it was such an easy task.

I use Tapatalk like the cool kids
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
Norfolk & Chance

I know what we should do, we should all sing the Lego Movie song, Everything is Awesome.
We'll all feel a lot better!