Chesterfield (Away) The Scottish Fiction Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hoofer2

Re: Chesterfield (Away) The Scottish Fiction Match Thread

Bee_Forever wrote:Not going to get in to the Hive discussion (I hate the place) but taken on the merits of our on field performances Tony has made some fairly major errors in coaching staff recruitment in recent seasons.

The only competent league managers we have had have been Allen and clemency both of whom TK stumbled across and we seem to beer from underqualifoed rookie to over the hill experienced with little in between. I would go as far as to say Tony's management appointments in the football league have a 100% failure rate.

Am sure he is devastated at our latest slump but the saddest thing is i have no confidence in his decision making on playing matters.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
John Still was also competent, however his style of football was not popular. Replacing with Cottee while we were on brink of playoffs to appease fans was a disaster. He also said at the time he did not have the funds at his disposal to bring in the types of players he likes so constrained to "hit it long and wide". In the daggers promotion season I saw them take St Albans apart with very pacy wingers getting early balls into the box. Sam can be said for Luton shooting from everywhere.

For years we have been poor at set pieces both in terms of delivery and defense. The delivery is always a floated ball that is easy to defend, no one drives it with any whip or intent. We never attack headers - always wait for ball to come to head rather than run at the ball Yakabu / Heald style. From corners never have someone defending far post etc.
Tuesds

becbee wrote:Honestly, the defeat at Chesterfield was bad - but does it really justify all this "everything has been terrible for the last 20 years" over-reaction?
I know it's not my line, but... Are you new here?

Great post, by the way.
BeeBoi1980

hoofer2 wrote:
Bee_Forever wrote:Not going to get in to the Hive discussion (I hate the place) but taken on the merits of our on field performances Tony has made some fairly major errors in coaching staff recruitment in recent seasons.

The only competent league managers we have had have been Allen and clemency both of whom TK stumbled across and we seem to beer from underqualifoed rookie to over the hill experienced with little in between. I would go as far as to say Tony's management appointments in the football league have a 100% failure rate.

Am sure he is devastated at our latest slump but the saddest thing is i have no confidence in his decision making on playing matters.

John Still was also competent, however his style of football was not popular. Replacing with Cottee while we were on brink of playoffs to appease fans was a disaster. He also said at the time he did not have the funds at his disposal to bring in the types of players he likes so constrained to "hit it long and wide". In the daggers promotion season I saw them take St Albans apart with very pacy wingers getting early balls into the box. Sam can be said for Luton shooting from everywhere.

For years we have been poor at set pieces both in terms of delivery and defense. The delivery is always a floated ball that is easy to defend, no one drives it with any whip or intent. We never attack headers - always wait for ball to come to head rather than run at the ball Yakabu / Heald style. From corners never have someone defending far post etc.
Like.

The set piece point is a good one. Is it coached out of them? Because any professional should know how to deliver and attack a dangerous set piece. As you say this floated stuff is a joke.
Mem Beespod

I get more angry about floaty set pieces than defensive errors! Nobody chooses to make a mistake but you can choose to play a floaty set piece. Such a waste of a dangerous situation.

There must be some data out there which correlates a team's final placing with their success from set pieces. I'm sure that our utter uselessness from them is a big factor in us being bottom.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
Mem Beespod

BeeBoi1980 wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:

Like.

The set piece point is a good one. Is it coached out of them? Because any professional should know how to deliver and attack a dangerous set piece. As you say this floated stuff is a joke.
Delivery is very much a skill but if you chose to hit a floaty fk or corner than you're greatly reducing any chance of success. I'd rather 3 or 4 whipped in Eddie Stein set pieces if the 5th one lands on the head of one of our players!

Can anyone remember the last time we tested the keeper from a header off a set piece?
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
#Beebot

Mr Smart wrote:I get more angry about floaty set pieces than defensive errors! Nobody chooses to make a mistake but you can choose to play a floaty set piece. Such a waste of a dangerous situation.

There must be some data out there which correlates a team's final placing with their success from set pieces. I'm sure that our utter uselessness from them is a big factor in us being bottom.
The Mansfield game was a great example of this. Endless floated crosses from JCR that were easily dealt with, to the point where Mansfield were quite happy to foul us in the final third as they knew our free kicks wouldn't lead to anything.

They had one attacking free kick, took it quick and low, caught out our defence and scored.

Taking/defending set pieces well is absolutely vital but we pay nowhere near enough attention to it.
BeeBoi1980

#Beebot wrote:
Mr Smart wrote:I get more angry about floaty set pieces than defensive errors! Nobody chooses to make a mistake but you can choose to play a floaty set piece. Such a waste of a dangerous situation.

The Mansfield game was a great example of this. Endless floated crosses from JCR that were easily dealt with, to the point where Mansfield were quite happy to foul us in the final third as they knew our free kicks wouldn't lead to anything.

They had one attacking free kick, took it quick and low, caught out our defence and scored.

Taking/defending set pieces well is absolutely vital but we pay nowhere near enough attention to it.
Yup. And for all his faults, this is the sort of thing TK should be able to viably expect someone with 40+ years in the game to address. It's fairly staggering what some of these so called football men are serving up.
letchbee94

Having seen JA goal again in the tele I must say it looks much better then it did live at the ground, From my view on Saturday it looked a straight forward 1 on 1 finish but with the angle the ball came to him at he did very well to finish it off.
LoudmouthBFC

letchbee94 wrote:Having seen JA goal again in the tele I must say it looks much better then it did live at the ground, From my view on Saturday it looked a straight forward 1 on 1 finish but with the angle the ball came to him at he did very well to finish it off.

And watching the highlights back, if you stop it just before the ball is played (for there 2nd goal) you can see there is 5 on 5. and then CC loses he's man well I mean he let's him run past him. Shocking
barnet34

LoudmouthBFC wrote:
letchbee94 wrote:Having seen JA goal again in the tele I must say it looks much better then it did live at the ground, From my view on Saturday it looked a straight forward 1 on 1 finish but with the angle the ball came to him at he did very well to finish it off.

And watching the highlights back, if you stop it just before the ball is played (for there 2nd goal) you can see there is 5 on 5. and then CC loses he's man well I mean he let's him run past him. Shocking
He could not have been marking his man otherwise he would have wondered where he'd gone.
#Beebot

LoudmouthBFC wrote:

Think Santos was more to blame than Clough. CC had to try and mark two men at once because Santos was daydreaming and not marking anyone. CC should have communicated better but not entirely his fault.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
LoudmouthBFC

barnet34 wrote:
LoudmouthBFC wrote:

He could not have been marking his man otherwise he would have wondered where he'd gone.

I don't know how to post photos on here but if you watch the highlights back and stop it at 1:24 you will see that we have 5 at the back, Watson is just out of screen but was marking there winger Santos had a man, Clough man just in front of him, Blackman not even close to he's man and Campbell-Ryce with he's man, J.Taylor went to press the Chesterfield player on the ball, then watch what happens after that.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... 2-1-barnet
LoudmouthBFC

#Beebot wrote:
LoudmouthBFC wrote:

Think Santos was more to blame than Clough. CC had to try and mark two men at once because Santos was daydreaming and not marking anyone. CC should have communicated better but not entirely his fault.

Santos was touch tight on he's man to the point he was giving him a cuddle.
#Beebot

LoudmouthBFC wrote:
#Beebot wrote:
LoudmouthBFC wrote:

Santos was touch tight on he's man to the point he was giving him a cuddle.
Yes I thought it was Santos initially. It was Blackman not marking anyone and Clough had to try and mark two at once.

Yet more evidence that Blackman should be nowhere near the squad. What has Tutonda done in training to piss MM off?

Psycho

Milkfloat wrote:
Psycho wrote:
beesknees99 wrote:Never thought I’d say this... I’m on the verge of tears this afternoon. To see the club I’ve grown up with become such pathetic banker losers week in week out is just too painful for me at the moment.

Lost for words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheer up mate. No one's died.

Home to Morecambe - we'll get a win.
Morecambe - who just beat Coventry. Another depressing home defeat awaits I fear....
I said everything will get better and while the festive period is huge with 12 points on offer, I think we'll get at least a couple of wins. :D