Price of Football 2017

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Tuesds

Re: Price of Football 2017

BeesKnees wrote:
They do have a concession comparison
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41891950
Thanks BeesKnees. That's a comparison of young adults concessions (the particular focus of the survey this year), and it shows that only three clubs offer a cheaper matchday ticket for young adults than us. Two of those three are only for under-18s, while our young adult concession is extended to under-21s.

So, while our adult matchday tickets are expensive, we also have the second lowest matchday price for u-21s. And the cheapest is Forest Green, who don't really count; they have to keep prices low to encourage people to pay with coins, because bank notes are made with animal fat!
Last edited by Tuesds on 16 Nov 2017, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
StephenM

Always an argument that is not a popular one but how do overhead costs compare between clubs in London and clubs up North. If there is significant difference here a bit of the cost is always going to get passed on through increased ticket prices.
BeeBoi1980

dpa wrote:
BeeBoi1980 wrote:Another thread, another excuse to moan.

Whilst some things at the club are genuinely expensive (e.g replica kit), this is a very basic survey that doesn't take into account a number of factors. To name but a few:

The numerous offers the club runs throughout the season
The savings on ticket prices from Hive membership
The benefits that come with Barnet FC membership
The cost of living in the area where the club is located (I suspect ours is the highest in league 2)

I'm not saying things couldn't be better, there are numerous improvements that could be made in terms of service and pricing structure at The Hive, and TK really needs to listen to the fans and address some of these areas. But there will be better value places to watch football, and there will certainly be many worse value places to watch football. We need to read between the lines of this very simplistic analysis.
Having supported the club for 47 years and now find that I cant afford to go to every game purely because of cost (same as my father who has supported the club since 1959), I do feel I have an 'excuse to moan' when considering the output from the survey.

What must also be taken into account is that all the other clubs will offer discounts, various forms of membership benefits, 2 for 1 deals etc from time to time - we are not the only club to do that. Therefore when you see the club being one of the most expensive (as a guide) and when viewed against the reducing home support (previous comments refer), I think it is absolutely the right time to address these issue on this forum; without being accused of being a moaner.
Fair play, didn't mean my comment to be personal. Out of interest what would the ticket price need to be for you to go to every game? I'm interested as I fully accept that the price will be too high for some and I'm wondering what it would need to be to bring them back, especially the families. As an aside, based purely on match day tickets for the West stand, my annual Hive membership pays for itself after seven home games attended (or one game if you include my scrounging mates).
dpa

BeeBoi1980 wrote:
dpa wrote:

Whilst some things at the club are genuinely expensive (e.g replica kit), this is a very basic survey that doesn't take into account a number of factors. To name but a few:

The cost of living in the area where the club is located (I suspect ours is the highest in league 2)

I'm not saying things couldn't be better, there are numerous improvements that could be made in terms of service and pricing structure at The Hive, and TK really needs to listen to the fans and address some of these areas. But there will be better value places to watch football, and there will certainly be many worse value places to watch football. We need to read between the lines of this very simplistic analysis.
Having supported the club for 47 years and now find that I cant afford to go to every game purely because of cost (same as my father who has supported the club since 1959), I do feel I have an 'excuse to moan' when considering the output from the survey.

What must also be taken into account is that all the other clubs will offer discounts, various forms of membership benefits, 2 for 1 deals etc from time to time - we are not the only club to do that. Therefore when you see the club being one of the most expensive (as a guide) and when viewed against the reducing home support (previous comments refer), I think it is absolutely the right time to address these issue on this forum; without being accused of being a moaner.
Fair play, didn't mean my comment to be personal. Out of interest what would the ticket price need to be for you to go to every game? I'm interested as I fully accept that the price will be too high for some and I'm wondering what it would need to be to bring them back, especially the families. As an aside, based purely on match day tickets for the West stand, my annual Hive membership pays for itself after seven home games attended (or one game if you include my scrounging mates).
I was previously a season ticket holder @ Underhill and also paid for the membership for the first few years @ the Hive until they recently put the prices up. I think I was paying £38pm for my father and I which I felt was acceptable for the level of football. That increased to £56pm (45% increase) overnight and when factoring in my travel costs (I live in the Midlands) that felt too much for L2 football. I don't spend anything in the bar/ snack bar as its too expensive - the only treat I get myself is a programme because I have a collection of Barnet programmes that goes back to the 40's.
BeeBoi1980

dpa wrote:
BeeBoi1980 wrote:
dpa wrote:

I was previously a season ticket holder @ Underhill and also paid for the membership for the first few years @ the Hive until they recently put the prices up. I think I was paying £38pm for my father and I which I felt was acceptable for the level of football. That increased to £56pm (45% increase) overnight and when factoring in my travel costs (I live in the Midlands) that felt too much for L2 football. I don't spend anything in the bar/ snack bar as its too expensive - the only treat I get myself is a programme because I have a collection of Barnet programmes that goes back to the 40's.
So £18.80 a game for you and £10.40 a game for your dad? I think if you can get to every game it's good value (noting the relatively large increase in 2016 and the fact that the football isn't great right now). The problem is, that even putting aside the fact that you have to travel a long distance, unless you're a super fan like Percy life just gets in the way and it's not possible to go to every game. I probably go to two thirds of home games, hence why I only have Hive membership.

Regardless of what I personally think about the price of watching Barnet, I don't want us to lose long terms fans, or have problems gaining new fans. I don't doubt there are aspects of the pricing that need to be looked at, I just don't know what the best strategy would be. A small decrease probably wouldn't make much difference, and a permanent large decrease is unrealistic. I've said this before, I genuinely believe TK should make all tickets £1 for one season and see what happens. then return to the current pricing, albeit slightly tweaked to encourage all types of fans.
DerekRocholl

StephenM wrote:Always an argument that is not a popular one but how do overhead costs compare between clubs in London and clubs up North. If there is significant difference here a bit of the cost is always going to get passed on through increased ticket prices.
I suspect all costs are much higher but I'm not sure why that is particularly relevant to people's views on whether the prices charged by Barnet FC are competitive or not. What matters is whether in the context of other ways to spend your money or time Barnet FC is a sufficiently attractive proposition. The price of attendance at Morecambe or Accrington doesn't really feature in this sort of consideration.
BeeBoi1980

Hiveoccupier wrote:
StephenM wrote:Always an argument that is not a popular one but how do overhead costs compare between clubs in London and clubs up North. If there is significant difference here a bit of the cost is always going to get passed on through increased ticket prices.
I suspect all costs are much higher but I'm not sure why that is particularly relevant to people's views on whether the prices charged by Barnet FC are competitive or not. What matters is whether in the context of other ways to spend your money or time Barnet FC is a sufficiently attractive proposition. The price of attendance at Morecambe or Accrington doesn't really feature in this sort of consideration.
Good point. A tour of Wembley is £20, a trip on the London eye is £26, London Zoo is £21, Madame Tussauds is £29 and 40 cigarettes and a pint is £25. These things are all comparable in price to a Barnet home game.
DerekRocholl

BeeBoi1980 wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:
Good point. A tour of Wembley is £20, a trip on the London eye is £26, London Zoo is £21, Madame Tussauds is £29 and 40 cigarettes and a pint is £25. These things are all comparable in price to a Barnet home game.
If you get through 40 cigs in the space of a couple of hours you need to slow down !
Reckless

BeeBoi1980 wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:
7 Pints of various ales and lagers in the Drummers Arms in Blackburn came to about £17.50.........Toronto Bee's Neice was serving so we thought favouritism at first, but that was the price for everyone average £2.50 a pop. Large Vodka and Tonic at Preston Station was a little dearer though!
RichardM

Hiveoccupier wrote:
The survey compared the costs involved in supporting all football clubs not comparing the costs involved in watching football as against other forms of entertainment. Therefore StephenM's argument is a valid one. It often makes me laugh how certain people on this forum twist things around to suit their stance on a topic without giving it enough thought to be justifiable.
BEEGONE

BeeBoi1980 wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:
Good point. A tour of Wembley is £20, a trip on the London eye is £26, London Zoo is £21, Madame Tussauds is £29.
Difference is you dont go on the London eye 25 times a year,sometimes twice a week....
:huh:
DerekRocholl

RichardM wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:
The survey compared the costs involved in supporting all football clubs not comparing the costs involved in watching football as against other forms of entertainment. Therefore StephenM's argument is a valid one. It often makes me laugh how certain people on this forum twist things around to suit their stance on a topic without giving it enough thought to be justifiable.
OK thanks. Now the M family point about it costs more to operate in the south than the north has been restated I feel so much wiser and feel that the Barnet FCs pricing is spot on. If everyone is told that the prices are fine because it is more expensive to run a football club in Edgware than in Accrington the place will be packed to the rafters in no time. Life is so simple when you have such great insights given to you by those in the know.