Mark McGhee new manager

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
northantsbee

Re: Mark McGhee new manager

The positives are he has a wealth of experience and a lot of contacts in the game. The negatives are his career has been on a bit of a downward trajectory. Could this be gamble in the last-chance saloon for both TK and McGhee?
Going Indieground 7pm Tuesday, https://www.madwaspradio.com/
RichardM

jerroll wrote:
RichardM wrote:
jerroll wrote:
Mikel Bee wrote:This feels a bit like the Peter Shreeves appointment after John Still's 7 game winless streak. An experienced manager from a higher level who will hopefully steady the ship.

Is this our second manager who has won a major European club competition in his playing days?
4th - Clemence, Mullery & Davids all did too.
5th, you forgot Jimmy Greaves.
when did greavsie manage us?
Sorry, I was thinking of players.
BigBee

northantsbee wrote:The positives are he has a wealth of experience and a lot of contacts in the game. The negatives are his career has been on a bit of a downward trajectory. Could this be gamble in the last-chance saloon for both TK and McGhee?
Why. Who’s going to sack TK. ??
AberdeenSeagull

I’ve seen McGhee in action at ‘both’ of my clubs.

As an Aberdeen fan I found myself in Brighton for most of the 00s.

As a child of the 80’s I grew up with Mark McGhee being enshrined in folklore at Aberdeen as part of our European fairytale and man of the match in the final in 83 when we beat (yes it is true) Real Madrid. He was also one of the finest ever players at Aberdeen.

When McGhee came to Brighton I was instantly excited about the prospect of one of my hero’s managing a club I had sort of adopted.

McGhee did not disappoint, he worked miracles on a nothing budget and seemed to have a knack of spotting potential in players I considered pretty average (I think someone has already mentioned Adam Virgo). He was handy in the transfer market with buttons to spend and was highly effective in the lower half of the Champ/upper league 1. I considered him to have acquitted himself at that level extremely well and was unlucky to be sacked. I think with a bit of cash he could have maintained us as a mid table champ club which at that time bearing in mind we had no ground and no money would have been well within the capabilities he had demonstrated when he first took the job. He also settled in Brighton which was popular and seemed happy with us until he departed.

So move forward a few years he seemed to have done exactly the same at Motherwell, taken them from a perennial relegation candidate to a top 6 club who played relatively exciting football. When the job became available at Aberdeen it was a no brainer, the press and support had him as the hot favourite and we were genuinely extatic that a legend was ‘coming home’ after years of mediocrity as Aberdeen that had been punctuated by a few European runs which we have always considered compensation for years in the trophy wilderness since he was a player. What was also set up for McGhee was the club was shedding debt and he had an opportunity (which our current manager grabbed) to overhaul the entire set up at Pittodrie.

So getting to the point how did it pan out? It was a total and utter disaster from the get go. Excuses, blaming players and pundits and new depths were being plunged against an old firm who were only marginally better than the rest and a complete 5-0 humiliation against a part time outfit from Slovakia that before and since have been bread and butter wins for us in the early europa rounds. To cap it all off he then challenged fans with a bizarre outburst that if we had any doubt about his pedigree we should check Wikipedia!! The irony was that we would have put up with it longer I think had he not come out with such nonsense in the press and we won a couple of European games because our expectations were not as high as previously and he had credit in the bank because of who he was. This did not to me seem the same manager at Brighton who was good with the local press and seemed to defend his players. Enough was enough and after his sacking he turned up again at Motherwell with similar results and behaviour to his spell with us. An 8-0 (off the top of my head) drubbing against us was ironically his downfall and his last visit to Pittodrie on that night was an embarrassing affair being sent to the stands arguing with the supporters who had one idolised him.

Since that he seems (although there is no evidence for this) to have used his influence at scotland to ensure that home based players (particularly at his former clubs!) are not picked for the national side. I would like to hope that’s not true, but after that night I mentioned above I can’t quite take him seriously as the manager he definitely once was.

So I guess what I am saying is I hope you get the McGhee who did such good things at Brighton.

I hope you guys stay up and good luck from sunny A-ber-dein!
jamiefrbees

Sounds absolutely terrifying
rudebwoyben

It will be interesting whichever Mark McGhee we end up getting!
Monsieur Abeille

becbee wrote:The fact of the matter is that the one thing which matters is avoiding relegation. Comments had been made on here that we were sleepwalking to the National League. Well, now hopefully the tide will turn. Maybe now we will get hoof ball, ugly football, whatever - I have no idea. At the moment, I just want to see some points on the board.
Amen to that
Mem Beespod

Have to say I'm not jumping for joy but I'm quite calm about his appointment. Even if he does an average job it will still be enough to keep us out of danger. Personally I think he's arrived at the perfect time to relaunch his career. Team struggling for points, near the foot of the table but with 5 good players coming back to fitness. They'll be like new signings.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938