I'm still backing Rossi but....

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Guiseleybee

I'm still backing Rossi but....

Every team gets injuries but we've had it particularly bad on that front so that has to be taken into account in terms of our current situation.

Defensively we've been poor, summed up by goals concede yesterday. But with better striking options we'd have scored considerably more, turning narrow defeats into draws on at least a few occasions. Yesterday and Lincoln away for instance when home team were holding on for dear life in the end but we lacked cutting edge.

However Rossi has to take the blame for the defensive frailties. It's a collective defending problem, not just cos Bindley isn't playing! On paper we have 3 decent centre backs but we are vulnerable from crosses. Why? Rossi needs to find the answer asap.

Yes options are currently limited but why yesterday for instance did we leave Nelson on bench when we know Notts are going to play direct with two big strikers? Surely it was obvious to play all 3 from start?

Then there's starting with Blackman and Bover- both done nothing in recent games yet Akinola has looked bright but doesn't start? Akpro was so isolated why did it take so long to change things when game already virtually lost?

Poor decision making isn't helping but for now I'll back him- last 20 mins showed players still want to play for him
LoudmouthBFC

Re: I'm still backing Rossi but....

Guiseleybee wrote:Every team gets injuries but we've had it particularly bad on that front so that has to be taken into account in terms of our current situation.

Defensively we've been poor, summed up by goals concede yesterday. But with better striking options we'd have scored considerably more, turning narrow defeats into draws on at least a few occasions. Yesterday and Lincoln away for instance when home team were holding on for dear life in the end but we lacked cutting edge.

However Rossi has to take the blame for the defensive frailties. It's a collective defending problem, not just cos Bindley isn't playing! On paper we have 3 decent centre backs but we are vulnerable from crosses. Why? Rossi needs to find the answer asap.

Yes options are currently limited but why yesterday for instance did we leave Nelson on bench when we know Notts are going to play direct with two big strikers? Surely it was obvious to play all 3 from start?

Then there's starting with Blackman and Bover- both done nothing in recent games yet Akinola has looked bright but doesn't start? Akpro was so isolated why did it take so long to change things when game already virtually lost?

Poor decision making isn't helping but for now I'll back him- last 20 mins showed players still want to play for him
Good post, but this part I have to say that, it's only due to Notts taking their foot of the gas we looked like we wanted to play football.
Akinola did add more to the team when he came on, taking on tired legs from Notts.
mcleod23

Agree Loudmouth, same happened at Wycombe when they couldn't be arsed anymore and knew the game was won.
ETBee

Rossi is a very young manager (youngest in the EFL I think) and is learning his trade. So he's going to try things out and make mistakes.We are lucky to have him. From what I hear he is respected by the players and that shows in training, which I sometimes watch. The hand he's been dealt with all the injuries would give Pep Guardiola nightmares. We will not get into the play offs this season (stating the obvious, maybe) but we will stay up and get stronger as the season progresses. If we stick with Rossi we'll be promoted next season.
beew

As long as Chesterfield and FGR continue to be as bad as they are, Rossi will be fine. If either of them start picking up points and we continue to fail, he will become under serious pressure. Personally I hope he pulls through this tough period and gets the chance to bring the team on. The next few games will be a real test for him.
Barnetchris

Totally agree with ETBee we are lucky to have Rossi, we have to ride this storm hold on to our first team and watch us go next season. We have got arguably the best strike force in the league so frustrating we can’t show this league what we can really do at the moment.
becbee

I've always found Guiseleybee to be a fair and reasoned poster, and this post is no exception. I found myself agreeing with all he'd written. Then I agreed with the replies. A really well reasoned thread. Maybe it should be locked now whilst the going is so good!!!
CrawleyBee

He can’t be judged until we are able to put a team out to compete in league 2, we need our key players back ASAP. I am backing Rossi too, the guy tries to play football the right way.
Formerly Watfordbee
ninestein

If we had gone outside to recruit a manager with league experience, us fans and TK would be frustrated if he didn't appear to have the nous to deal with the challenges posed. The injuries, the defending of crosses and set pieces etc etc.

The fact is, we have made a bold move to promote one of our own young coaches and give him the opportunity to step up, alongside many of the players he has helped nurture over the past 5 years. It's the right time for him. The least he deserves is the time, patience and encouragement from the boardroom and stands to learn and put this right. We all want Rossi to succeed in the long term. If he has made mistakes regarding fitness or tactics, I'm sure he'll be the first person to hold his hand up and recognise it. Some managers will point the blame elsewhere to paper over the cracks and divert the blame away from themselves. Rossi has come a long way very quickly and given a near fully fit squad, i still believe he can do good things with this side.

I've seen enough this season to believe that he is better than Sanchez, better than Robson and better than Stimson. At some point he was going to be faced with a tough period of results. We're in it now. Let's back him to come through it for the better. We shouldn't get sucked into setting two game targets to win or else.. that's jumping on the managerial merry go round again, and it's a ride i don't particularly look forward to going on.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
mcleod23

watfordbee wrote:He can’t be judged until we are able to put a team out to compete in league 2, we need our key players back ASAP. I am backing Rossi too, the guy tries to play football the right way.

What?!! Of course he can be judged he's the manager sending the players out every week set them
Up to get points. We are simply not learning from our mistakes we've had a number of abysmal performances this season and don't seem to be improving from this. I don't get the "wait until we get players back argument" we don't have Harry Kane and aguero coming back! Even with akinde coulthirst Weston back were still going to be fragile in midfield and still won't be able to defend set pieces unless we work on them. Any other manager who had won 3/13 and 21st league, a lot more people would be calling for a change in my opinion
Norfolkbee

I said I'd give Rossi until mid-November to pull things round and I'm a man of my word. However, we can't keep relying on "as long as Chesterfield and FGR keep being as bad as they are". We had a purple patch at the start of the season and they will hit one sooner or later.
CrawleyBee

mcleod23 wrote:
watfordbee wrote:He can’t be judged until we are able to put a team out to compete in league 2, we need our key players back ASAP. I am backing Rossi too, the guy tries to play football the right way.

What?!! Of course he can be judged he's the manager sending the players out every week set them
Up to get points. We are simply not learning from our mistakes we've had a number of abysmal performances this season and don't seem to be improving from this. I don't get the "wait until we get players back argument" we don't have Harry Kane and aguero coming back! Even with akinde coulthirst Weston back were still going to be fragile in midfield and still won't be able to defend set pieces unless we work on them. Any other manager who had won 3/13 and 21st league, a lot more people would be calling for a change in my opinion

We do have big John one of the best strikers in the league and Shaq who isn’t far behind him.
Formerly Watfordbee
ealingbee84

I think it is hard to judge him due to injuries but he can be judged to an extent. If he knows he has injuries he has to adjust the side to fit that, however he does not have the greatest amount of experience managing a senior team. He has to take some fault as 2 points from the last 7 games is poor no matter how you look at it but the fans have to look that he has got some good wins in the season also. Looking at the next 4 games I think points are available. A problem he has is how will the players be after coming back from injury. People should not expect the players to come back from injury and be the same player straight away, long term injuries can often take a lot from a player and I fear Akinde will never be the same again.
To be honest even if the club relegate it could be difficult to fully blame him (depending on how much of a fight the team puts up).
BeeBoi1980

mcleod23 wrote:

If somebody told me that we were going to take the team that managed 1 win in 11 under Newton, remove Stephens, Johnson, Champion, Weston and Akinde, buy Brindley, Coulthirst and Tarpey and be missing all 3, play predominantly top half teams under a rookie manager, the youngest in the league, and get nearly a point a game, I'd have said that whoever is in charge is doing a good job.

Yes not all is rosy, but to not account for the circumstances under which this guy is working is short sighted. He's doing an incredible job. I'm sure he has made mistakes, but I can't think of anyone who would have done better given the same parameters.

You only have to look at the squad numbers against Coventry to see just how out of the ordinary this situation is. We had 2 players with squad number 1-11 starting, they had TEN!

Granted Ross is an able deputy for Stephens, and Jack Taylor and Mauro can now be considered as good as first choice starters. But Brindley, Johnson, Weston, JCR, Akinde and Tarpey/Coulthirst would have all made that team. To not afford this guy time would be unfair.

If we had even a 75% of our first choice 11 and still struggled I'd start to re-assess things. Until then contemplating changing the manager seems off the mark. I'm not sure exactly what it would achieve.

A team like Barnet will always be limited in how much strength and depth we can have in our squad, we aren't Man City or PSG, so having a first 11 standard players as back up isn't an option. We have to go with players never intended to start league games together at this moment in time.

Some will be squad players and alternative options when things aren't going too well. Others are developing youth players not necessarily thought of as ready to start week in week out. The squad isn't lacking or below expectations. Its a typical League 2 squad, aside from the odd freak like Luton, who are resourced beyond us for reasons well known.

That said, we can't expect to have better players playing for us in such an injury crisis, so Ross(i) really just has to go with what he has at his disposal, and I don't think Conte, Klopp or anyone else would do a particularly better job. So really, I'm not sure there is too much to complain about regards the man in charge at the moment.

FYI I was opposed to Ross(i) getting the job.
MCB

Oddly this is one of our strongest ever league squads in my opinion. Just think how good it will be when we have everyone fit.

Stephens & Ross pushing each other for no 1. Shaq, JA & Tarpey competing for 2 spots. Weston coming in to shore things up at the end of the game and provide experience. Fonguck providing fresh legs and with vastly more L2 experience under his belt than anyone expected. Tutonda or Johnson? Choices choices. Attacking midfield role could be any one of JCR, Mauro or JLAA.

Can't wait!