I'm still backing Rossi but....

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolkbee

Re: I'm still backing Rossi but....

The mark of a competent manager is all about "managing" not just in the good times when everything is rosy, but also in adversity. I'm sure a squad riddled with injuries is not what Rossi expected to lead, but now he has to roll up his sleeves and show he can manage when the going is tough. I sincerely hope he succeeds, but he has to find the formula sooner rather than later. However, unless missing players suddenly rise like Lazarus, he's going to have to manage with what is at his disposal and concentrate on basics like defending set-pieces, cutting out individual errors and, above all, not switching off for sections of a game.
shankbee01

BeeBoi1980 wrote:
mcleod23 wrote:
watfordbee wrote:He can’t be judged until we are able to put a team out to compete in league 2, we need our key players back ASAP. I am backing Rossi too, the guy tries to play football the right way.

What?!! Of course he can be judged he's the manager sending the players out every week set them
Up to get points. We are simply not learning from our mistakes we've had a number of abysmal performances this season and don't seem to be improving from this. I don't get the "wait until we get players back argument" we don't have Harry Kane and aguero coming back! Even with akinde coulthirst Weston back were still going to be fragile in midfield and still won't be able to defend set pieces unless we work on them. Any other manager who had won 3/13 and 21st league, a lot more people would be calling for a change in my opinion
If somebody told me that we were going to take the team that managed 1 win in 11 under Newton, remove Stephens, Johnson, Champion, Weston and Akinde, buy Brindley, Coulthirst and Tarpey and be missing all 3, play predominantly top half teams under a rookie manager, the youngest in the league, and get nearly a point a game, I'd have said that whoever is in charge is doing a good job.

Yes not all is rosy, but to not account for the circumstances under which this guy is working is short sighted. He's doing an incredible job. I'm sure he has made mistakes, but I can't think of anyone who would have done better given the same parameters.

You only have to look at the squad numbers against Coventry to see just how out of the ordinary this situation is. We had 2 players with squad number 1-11 starting, they had TEN!

Granted Ross is an able deputy for Stephens, and Jack Taylor and Mauro can now be considered as good as first choice starters. But Brindley, Johnson, Weston, JCR, Akinde and Tarpey/Coulthirst would have all made that team. To not afford this guy time would be unfair.

If we had even a 75% of our first choice 11 and still struggled I'd start to re-assess things. Until then contemplating changing the manager seems off the mark. I'm not sure exactly what it would achieve.

A team like Barnet will always be limited in how much strength and depth we can have in our squad, we aren't Man City or PSG, so having a first 11 standard players as back up isn't an option. We have to go with players never intended to start league games together at this moment in time.

Some will be squad players and alternative options when things aren't going too well. Others are developing youth players not necessarily thought of as ready to start week in week out. The squad isn't lacking or below expectations. Its a typical League 2 squad, aside from the odd freak like Luton, who are resourced beyond us for reasons well known.

That said, we can't expect to have better players playing for us in such an injury crisis, so Ross(i) really just has to go with what he has at his disposal, and I don't think Conte, Klopp or anyone else would do a particularly better job. So really, I'm not sure there is too much to complain about regards the man in charge at the moment.

FYI I was opposed to Ross(i) getting the job.
This is an excellent post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mem Beespod

Norfolkbee wrote:The mark of a competent manager is all about "managing" not just in the good times when everything is rosy, but also in adversity. I'm sure a squad riddled with injuries is not what Rossi expected to lead, but now he has to roll up his sleeves and show he can manage when the going is tough. I sincerely hope he succeeds, but he has to find the formula sooner rather than later. However, unless missing players suddenly rise like Lazarus, he's going to have to manage with what is at his disposal and concentrate on basics like defending set-pieces, cutting out individual errors and, above all, not switching off for sections of a game.
I think any "competent manager" would be struggling with this group. What is amazing me is that typically weak teams will have games where they collapse and get battered, usually away. We've just played the top team and were outclassed yet almost got something out the game. There was no collapse and the players were still trying up until the 95th minute. This with a largely second string team. To me that speaks volumes about Rossi's ability.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
dawat

I believe that Rossi has made mistakes, he is human and not that experienced so it was inevitable. Managers with a lot more experience than him have made mistakes as we know only too well to our cost. So I have no great complaint about Rossi despite the mistakes he has made. The list of injuries faced by Rossi this season is one that could never have been envisaged in our worst nightmares and strangely enough concentrated in an unbelievable way.
Whether the 'club' is at fault, the medical team for being over optimistic about players injuries, Rossi for being confident about the ability of youngsters to step up to the plate or what may be part of the underlying problem, but the Reality is that Rossi has been left with inadequate resources at his disposal for far too long. We have effectively being poodling along with one main striker Shaq for quite some time now. Ak-Ak is a willing lad and does his best, but is not equipped to act as a lone striker nor is he a prolific goal scorer in any event. Big John came back far too early it appears and unsurprisingly looked a shadow of his true self when he did. I do not expect JA to be playing anywhere near his best until well after Christmas assuming he returns before December.
So is it someone at the club or Rossi himself who did not seek to address our weaknesses when and if the opportunity occurred. Only they know the answer to that one. What however I do know is that the team seems to be doing their best for him which is admirable, but is the club or Rossi doing their best for the players by not facing up to the decline of our league position we have witnessed over the last few months. I hope that I am made to eat my words, but I can see no likelihood of a miraculous recovery in our fortunes when our injured players return. At least two won't return this season, and the rest will return at a trickle with many being way off match fitness for this part of the season. It should also be remembered that they are unlucky enough to be returning to deteriorating weather and worsening pitch conditions whilst trying to get match fit. A recipe for another injury or running out of steam during a game.
hoofer2

dawat wrote:I believe that Rossi has made mistakes, he is human and not that experienced so it was inevitable. Managers with a lot more experience than him have made mistakes as we know only too well to our cost. So I have no great complaint about Rossi despite the mistakes he has made. The list of injuries faced by Rossi this season is one that could never have been envisaged in our worst nightmares and strangely enough concentrated in an unbelievable way.
Whether the 'club' is at fault, the medical team for being over optimistic about players injuries, Rossi for being confident about the ability of youngsters to step up to the plate or what may be part of the underlying problem, but the Reality is that Rossi has been left with inadequate resources at his disposal for far too long. We have effectively being poodling along with one main striker Shaq for quite some time now. Ak-Ak is a willing lad and does his best, but is not equipped to act as a lone striker nor is he a prolific goal scorer in any event. Big John came back far too early it appears and unsurprisingly looked a shadow of his true self when he did. I do not expect JA to be playing anywhere near his best until well after Christmas assuming he returns before December.
So is it someone at the club or Rossi himself who did not seek to address our weaknesses when and if the opportunity occurred. Only they know the answer to that one. What however I do know is that the team seems to be doing their best for him which is admirable, but is the club or Rossi doing their best for the players by not facing up to the decline of our league position we have witnessed over the last few months. I hope that I am made to eat my words, but I can see no likelihood of a miraculous recovery in our fortunes when our injured players return. At least two won't return this season, and the rest will return at a trickle with many being way off match fitness for this part of the season. It should also be remembered that they are unlucky enough to be returning to deteriorating weather and worsening pitch conditions whilst trying to get match fit. A recipe for another injury or running out of steam during a game.
Let's be clear about the strikers. Who would have thought both Coultrist and Tarpey would be injured so soon in the season - and we are fortunate that Akinola deal did not go through as it could have been even worse.

Same can be said about the fullbacks - to lose Brindley and Johnson so close to season starting.

I did not like the brinkmanship with the Club trying to join in on the big boy playground of creating deadline day melodrama with new signings - this compared to Marin Allen seemingly getting all deals done as pre-season starts and being lumbered with players past sell by date. Why didn't we signup the midfielder sooner?

Martin Allen had the benefit of the loan system to paper over the cracks - and he did this often in September. Rossi, does not have that luxury.
RichardM

hoofer2 wrote:
dawat wrote:Why didn't we signup the midfielder sooner?
Don't ask us, ask the chairman. He will usually speak to you at The Hive if he is not too busy.
Norfolkbee

Mr Smart wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:The mark of a competent manager is all about "managing" not just in the good times when everything is rosy, but also in adversity. I'm sure a squad riddled with injuries is not what Rossi expected to lead, but now he has to roll up his sleeves and show he can manage when the going is tough. I sincerely hope he succeeds, but he has to find the formula sooner rather than later. However, unless missing players suddenly rise like Lazarus, he's going to have to manage with what is at his disposal and concentrate on basics like defending set-pieces, cutting out individual errors and, above all, not switching off for sections of a game.
I think any "competent manager" would be struggling with this group. What is amazing me is that typically weak teams will have games where they collapse and get battered, usually away. We've just played the top team and were outclassed yet almost got something out the game. There was no collapse and the players were still trying up until the 95th minute. This with a largely second string team. To me that speaks volumes about Rossi's ability.
The whole point of my post is that he now has to "dig in" and use what resources,he has in the best possible way. It really is crisis management and time to circle the wagons.
ealingbee84

I suppose the only way to judge is look at another club with a serious problem, if there is one. If there is, who are they and how have they coped?
Norfolkbee

ealingbee84 wrote:I suppose the only way to judge is look at another club with a serious problem, if there is one. If there is, who are they and how have they coped?
Very true and maybe someone with a lot more time and knowledge than me can come up with an answer. However, if a parallel cannot be found, it once again raises the whole question of training methods, medical treatment and welfare issues.
Psycho

ealingbee84 wrote:I suppose the only way to judge is look at another club with a serious problem, if there is one. If there is, who are they and how have they coped?
Leicester City?

An inexperienced manager who has had a couple of injuries to key players. They're not in the relegation zone but seem to be struggling in most games. One win in eight league matches although a few draws thrown in.
amberforever

No, thats it...Rossi out for me.
Not only ten games without a win, but we are hopeless at set pieces. No one has a clue about what is supposed to be happening. Its kick and hope. What do these guys practice week in and week out? (while us normal folk are putting in 9-5 jobs everyday)
This lays fairly and squarely with the tactical management and training staff. Rossi out.
#Beebot

We need to make the best of what we've got, which means one of the following:
1) Playing to our strengths and keeping the ball on the ground more. For all the talk about the style of football we are moving towards, we're playing a hell of a lot of long ball at the moment. Keeping it on the floor will suit the available players better.
2) Retaining the current style of play but putting players up front who can actually hold the ball up. If that means going four at the back and chucking Santos up top then so be it. Makes far more sense than the current disjointed strategy.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk