Optimism

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Bee_Forever

Optimism

Is it just me or are we looking really good for a strong season next year?

We have one of the best keepers in the division (our 2016 POTY) and it sounds like he is putting his injuries behind him.

We have a strong back line with Nelson providing strong leadership skills to our barrage of young centre backs, and players from the youth team showing promise, especially in defensive positions.

We have an established midfield access, with a player many are touting for the Championship or higher, and a leader who has really shown his abilities this season, despite being maligned by many.

We have a winger who routinely gives full backs twisted blood and two other wingers who, although not showing what they can do so far, have proven ability in the non-league, with the hope that a full pre-season at our high class training ground will get them up to speed.

Finally, we have the league top scorer up front.

4 new signings (RB, DM, 2 x ST) and we will be laughing.

The future's bright, the future's amber!
ninestein

Re: Optimism

I'm quietly optimistic about our fortunes next season. The basis of a good side is there.
If we get the 3 or 4 quality starting XI players in to strengthen the positions we all seem to have identified, I'll be loudly optimistic.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
beew

I can't get excited until we know who will be coming in. I suspect the players we've identified, are also in talks with other clubs, which means we could lose out at the last minute. Other clubs are getting their business done early signing players on pre contract deals. It'd be good if we could do the same, and at least sign one player, this week.
jerroll

Whoever we sign needs to be able to contribute 15-20 odd goals as the current group are woefully short on the goalscoring front!
NorthFinchleyBee

If we get those players in, I think we stand a chance of play offs or even automatic - definitely some right back competition, a good stopper in midfield (or even two) and a foil for John who can weigh in with goals, as Jerroll says. I keep on saying this but Barnet has enormous potential and a few more players could do it. Some of what I saw really excited me last season - Tutonda, the Taylor Brothers, Santos, Bover, even Akinola's scissor kick! (I did have a few head in the hands moments, but that is rather par for the course).
mcleod23

We'll finish the same position as last season if we don't strengthen key areas.

GK, RB, CM, CM & ST needed.

Some of the players who some hold in such high regard are average (H Taylor, Bover..). Those two will not get you promoted if they are starting each week.
ninestein

That's why it's important that the new signings are all first team starters, not bench fillers.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Mickbee

I'll reserve judgement until I see our squad, we were one long term injury away from relegation last season, if we don't recruit well the same could be said of next season.
pgbee

mcleod23 wrote:We'll finish the same position as last season if we don't strengthen key areas.

GK, RB, CM, CM & ST needed.
Or worse.....
GRH

Mickbee wrote:I'll reserve judgement until I see our squad, we were one long term injury away from relegation last season, if we don't recruit well the same could be said of next season.
Or one long term injury away from promotion.
NoMagRyan

Mickbee wrote:I'll reserve judgement until I see our squad, we were one long term injury away from relegation last season, if we don't recruit well the same could be said of next season.
We also started with two long-term injuries last season.
becbee

Yes, we would have been up the river without a paddle had John Akinde been out injured for any length of time. But that really was down to a combination of Michael Gash's almost season long absence, plus Martin Allen's weird conviction that Shaun Batt was going to come good. There were also other signings who should have weighed in with goals but didn't.
It's never wise to have all our eggs in one basket, hopefully Rossi will ensure that we're not so reliant on one goal scorer this season.
MCB

jerroll wrote:Whoever we sign needs to be able to contribute 15-20 odd goals as the current group are woefully short on the goalscoring front!
Glad you agree with me that we desperately needed to get PF back involved in the club to identify the next Bailey/Graham/Lee/Sinclair :D
jerroll

MCB wrote:
jerroll wrote:Whoever we sign needs to be able to contribute 15-20 odd goals as the current group are woefully short on the goalscoring front!
Glad you agree with me that we desperately needed to get PF back involved in the club to identify the next Bailey/Graham/Lee/Sinclair :D
Certainly got it right with that lot for sure.
letchbee94

https://www.barnetfc.com/news/2017/june ... sentation/

That is promising also.
Signings obviously will be key, but yes am looking forward to a good season.