The transfer rumour mill has started.

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
shankbee01

Re: The transfer rumour mill has started.

northantsbee wrote:Yeovil who are one of the teams we are trying to catch up with have signed four players on loan, One a piece from Liverpool, Southampton, Middlesbrough and Barnsley. If Yeovil can do it there is no reason why we can't. I understand the argument that giving experience to other teams youth team players does not benefit our own academy players, but more often they have shown they are not up to playing in the first team and if that is the case they should be loaned out to teams further down the pyramid to 'toughen them up'.

It is not as if we have not been in this situation before, we never seem to learn from past experience, it's like Groundhog Day.
I hope this is the part of Groundhog Day is where it all ends up ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Norfolkbee

shankbee01 wrote:
northantsbee wrote:Yeovil who are one of the teams we are trying to catch up with have signed four players on loan, One a piece from Liverpool, Southampton, Middlesbrough and Barnsley. If Yeovil can do it there is no reason why we can't. I understand the argument that giving experience to other teams youth team players does not benefit our own academy players, but more often they have shown they are not up to playing in the first team and if that is the case they should be loaned out to teams further down the pyramid to 'toughen them up'.

It is not as if we have not been in this situation before, we never seem to learn from past experience, it's like Groundhog Day.

There must be teams all over London and the South East looking to get their young players game time. It is not as if Barnet lack decent facilities. Personally, I'm at a loss to understand TK's arguments against loans, which would surely be a win-win situation for all parties.
DerekRocholl

Norfolkbee wrote:
shankbee01 wrote:

There must be teams all over London and the South East looking to get their young players game time. It is not as if Barnet lack decent facilities. Personally, I'm at a loss to understand TK's arguments against loans, which would surely be a win-win situation for all parties.
Why would a Club with a Category 2 academy want to give league experience to players from another Club’s academy at the expense of their own ?
Norfolk & Chance

Because the other players might be better and give us more of a chance of staying up.

Principles don't always win points, decent players and managers do.

(I know it was a rhetorical question :-))
ninestein

I can see TK's point of view, but there have been instances where we are lacking in certain positions, and we don't have viable options in the youth system to cover. Take the right back position as an example. In the past year we lost Pearson, Hoyte and Brindley to long term injuries. Only Dwight Pascal was deemed to be an option from the academy and he's still only 16-17 years old. As we all saw a few weeks ago, it's probably a year or two too soon for him, so why not look for a 19 year old loanee to cover if we can't get a pernanent replacement in? By all means approach our own academy first, but if needs must we should still be able to swallow our pride and look externally for loans.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Norfolkbee

Players from the academies of Premier or Championship clubs should at least come with a grasp of the basics, which have been lacking in many Barnet players this season.
NorthFinchleyBee

Norfolk & Chance wrote:Because the other players might be better and give us more of a chance of staying up.

Principles don't always win points, decent players and managers do.

(I know it was a rhetorical question :-))
Agreed. We may have a good academy in the bricks and mortar and qualified staff sense, but we don't have it in terms of talent, simple as that. The best players won't be coming to us, period. For every Joe Payne we've got more players who are not good enough. Bigger clubs have bigger and better academies and or better young players. Principles cost and and in this case the opportunity cost associated with the chosen course of action is likely relegation, so its completely self defeating as an argument.
MCB

Some bloke for Truro.

http://www.just-football.com/2018/01/co ... ootball%29

Now, I always remember there being 2 Lee Hodges - is their manager the one that played for us? And would that have been under TK? Perhaps gives us a slight advantage!
X-Bumble

Maybe a replacement for Akinde. I can't see JA hanging around if/when an offer comes in.
jerroll

MCB wrote:Some bloke for Truro.

Now, I always remember there being 2 Lee Hodges - is their manager the one that played for us? And would that have been under TK? Perhaps gives us a slight advantage!
yes it's the one who played for us who TK sold to Reading!
#Beebot

Don't think we need a new forward. We have our 20+ goal a season forward, and even if he leaves in the summer we have one coming back from injury ready to replace him.

The key is actually playing to his strengths.
ealingbee84

#Beebot wrote:Don't think we need a new forward. We have our 20+ goal a season forward, and even if he leaves in the summer we have one coming back from injury ready to replace him.

The key is actually playing to his strengths.
Tarpey has not been proven at league level, so not guarentee he will start scoring loads as people predict. Also he will be back from a serious long term injury so he may not be at the same level as before.

As X Bumble has said, I think John Akinde will want to leave although I imagine he is on a good contract at Barnet (probably very good for League 2 in general) and some clubs may not want to pay it. At the moment Coulthirst is our only player to be in double figures.
MCB

jerroll wrote:

I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we sell him for £250,000 to a club 2 divisions above us? Looks like you're upset at TK for what's a fairly decent transfer for us? He was good, but no Sean Devine...
jerroll

MCB wrote:
jerroll wrote:

I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we sell him for £250,000 to a club 2 divisions above us? Looks like you're upset at TK for what's a fairly decent transfer for us? He was good, but no Sean Devine...
nope not a pop at TK at all just proving the point that he played while Tony was here.The money we got from Reading for Hodges and Primus funded our runs to the playoffs in 97/8 & 99/00.
Last edited by jerroll on 08 Jan 2018, 13:45, edited 2 times in total.
BeeBoi1980

jerroll wrote:
MCB wrote:
jerroll wrote:

nope not a pop at TK at all just proving the point that he played while Tony was here.

Playing career[edit]

He previously played for Tottenham Hotspur during which he had loan spells with Plymouth Argyle and Wycombe Wanderers.[4] He joined Barnet in 1994 where he spent three seasons, scoring 26 goals in 104 league appearances. He moved to Reading in 1997 where he made 70 league appearances before moving to Plymouth in 2001. It was announced in April 2008 that Hodges, along with five other Plymouth players, were going to be released when their contracts expired in June. He then went on to sign for Torquay United in the Conference National.[5] On 9 October 2009, Hodges joined Truro City on a three-month loan. He was released by Torquay on 15 May 2010 along with six other players.[6]
Is my mind playing tricks on me here? I'm sure in the Clemence season when we just missed out on the play offs Rochdale beat us 4-0 at Underhill. Then we went there on Easter Monday and won 4-0 with Lee scoring all 4?