Hadley FC

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BuzzingBee

Re: Hadley FC

MCB wrote:
BeeBoi1980 wrote:As much as the people there were c*cks, you want to concrete over a club's leisure facility that many enjoy that has been there since the 1900's and drive them out of their home. Is that not a little hypocritical regardless of what we think of those that use the facilities.
Of course it's massively hypocritical! I'm a massive hypocrit - I had a pop at golf and stopped playing after breaking 100. But then I realised how exclusive golf clubs are, exclusive in that it's great to look at and walk around, but fundamentally exclusive to those who are well heeled. The numbers using the golf course are tiny. Conservatively the footprint is 25 x Underhills (and remember it's just one of TEN council owned golf clubs). There used to be half a dozen football clubs in Barnet as well - now they have what - 1 - Hadley's in Barnet right? Golf players could simply go to one of the other 9 courses, football fans have to go to a different borough.

I'd be more than happy if they just opened it as a nature reserve, open for schools and all to wonder around. It's a false pretence to say the golf course is all greenery - the actual courses are so carefully manicured and chemically ridden, the only wild areas are the trees that stop the poor people looking in. Of course, 1 new stadium, 400 affordable homes, 1 new GP's, primary school and a massive open park & nature reserve would improve life for everyone except the handful of locals and golfers.

It'll never happen of course as golf, like rugby, is popular with the tories.
I think you are alittle out of touch with golf and golf clubs which has become alot more accessible to all in recent years and I am pretty sure will only continue. You only need to look at Trent Park in Oakwood which is routinely packed to the rafters and granted is a nightmare for serious golfers re waiting times but the facilities are great and at £ 20 a round and under a £ 10 in the afternoon a bargin.

Building/watching football is a not a physical leisure pursuit akin to golf or physically playing football so unless you are insinuating building a Hive like complex with facilities for all on South Herts or any other golf course you are comparing apples with pears.

Additionally to be a member (and attend/play unlimited golf) for a number of these courses for Under 30s (and in some cases under 40) is less than £ 600 (and in some cases less then £ 300-400) which is largely the demographic of people attending football is actually cheaper/more cost effective than paying for e.g a Bee's membership and attending 22 days a year.

Funny thing that lefty liberals like to have a pop at things like golf thinking its an elite sport etc but if you actually went to a course you would find a large amount of the membership is made up from people in the trade, black cabbies etc and just proves people like to just assume. Of course you can always find people or things to try and disprove this theory and by coincidence both South Herts and Hadley Wood (thread title) are probably the most "exclusive" clubs in the borough but it is not reflective of the wider golf community

:whistle:
MCB

BuzzingBee wrote: I think you are alittle out of touch with golf and golf clubs which has become alot more accessible to all in recent years and I am pretty sure will only continue. You only need to look at Trent Park in Oakwood which is routinely packed to the rafters and granted is a nightmare for serious golfers re waiting times but the facilities are great and at £ 20 a round and under a £ 10 in the afternoon a bargin.
I've played Trent Park about 20-30 times and the driving range a similar number of times, a mate used to run the now sadly closed Merryhills. You're right the facilities are great and it is affordable. And it's normally packed as well, and you're right about the demograph.

South Herts has 700 members, and charges £50 or £60 for an 18 hole round. No idea about memberships. I have no issue with privately owned golf courses - I was just surprised to see it was owned by the council - and 9 others, perhaps they should flog them?

Anyway, it's all a diversion, and obviously wouldn't happen, so sorry for the tangent - let's get back to the well trodden path of where the Town of Barnet actually is!
John_c

I see we're advocating the running of 2 sites these days? Mainly by people who thought they could run a supporters trust...

Fingers crossed that Hadley don't need to move again. The red wine drinkers amongst their new found fanbase would hyperventilate!
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
DerekRocholl

John_c wrote:I see we're advocating the running of 2 sites these days? Mainly by people who thought they could run a supporters trust...

Fingers crossed that Hadley don't need to move again. The red wine drinkers amongst their new found fanbase would hyperventilate!
John knows all about red wine,mhow it addles the brain and makes you forget things. Clearly words drawn for years of expeience that youngsters should heed.
buzzinbee

Hadley have been drawn against FC Romania for the first round qualifying of the FA Cup, to be played on the 2nd of September (we are playing in Wiltshire).

Other localish matches drawn:
Hendon v Wingate & Finchley
Potters Bar Town v Bishop’s Stortford
Enfield Town v Harrow Borough
alexbach

Hadley now share with AFC south gate.remarkable the amount of teams trading

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk
alexbach

If you don't care don't comment

John_c

alexbach wrote:Hadley now share with AFC south gate.remarkable the amount of teams trading

Good Lord.
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

DerekRocholl

John_c wrote:
alexbach wrote:Hadley now share with AFC south gate.remarkable the amount of teams trading

Good Lord.
In other news Barnet FC are sharing facilities with a walking football team organised by some of their supporters.
John_c

Hiveoccupier wrote:
John_c wrote:

Good Lord.
In other news Barnet FC are sharing facilities with a walking football team organised by some of their supporters.
Well outside Southgate Town, surely?

alexbach

AFC south gate was initially mentioned to me by Thomas Salinger,so I naturally did not believe a word.however they really exist

jerroll

alexbach wrote:AFC south gate was initially mentioned to me by Thomas Salinger,so I naturally did not believe a word.however they really exist

They are a huge youth club who have decided to set up a senior team so needed to find somewhere to play with the necessary facilities
alexbach

Good luck to AFC Roumania.oystercard to Bucharest

Livibee

South Herts golf club is a member's owned club and the local authority do not have any interest in it, financial or otherwise.
So the idea to concrete would be a decision for their members and not Barnet council.
To quote Trump any suggestion it's owned by the council is 'fake news'.
hoppy

For those not going to Carlisle on Saturday one option is Hadley v Stotfold.