A few thoughts....

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
jamiefrbees

A few thoughts....

I haven't seen this team look as confident as it did for the first twenty odd minutes on Saturday. Individually speaking, each player seemed to have been given a new lease of life (this must surely be accredited to Fairclough's man management/ team talks)

We had Uddin running the ball out of the defence and moving FORWARD with confidence. Mark Hughes playing classy backheels, launching himself at every ball, and even striking a great effort from the edge of the box, Jordan Parkes playing some great balls forward for McLeod. It was a more direct style than we had seen this season but it was working, with the midfield doing well in claiming any second balls.

This leads on to my next thought, why oh why did we change tack?

Every time the ball was fed direct to McLeod to chase and time runs we looked like scoring. Southend's back line were failing to cope and it seemed a matter of time before we scored. But we soon started the crab passing style, where we pass sideways across the pitch until we a) give the ball away b) fail to keep the ball on the pitch c) resort to a hoof under pressure when a more choice pass could have been picked out if it had been made 50 seconds earlier.

Some of you moan that the 4-5-1 is the wrong choice for a home game but you can't argue that we didn't create a hell of a lot more playing the 4-5-1 than we did the 4-4-2 in the second half, which saw any moves breakdown before they got close to reaching our dangerman: Mcleod.

Finally, yes O Brien's mistake was awful. I feel for the lad because in the back of his mind he must know there are a terrace full of people ready to pounce on him for being too slow with his distribution. As a result, on one occasion he rushed > goal gifted.

Underhill has become a cauldron of hostility, castigation and very bad memories this season and I genuinely think we will comparitively fare better away from home in the remainder of the season. Our best chance of survival lies certainly lies away from Underhill...
Barnet, Barnet, Barnet, because...we're staying up, and it's the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz that will keep us together...

Why does it always fall to Togwell?
becbee

Re: A few thoughts....

If you honestly believe "Underhill has become a cauldron of hostility, castigation" you really should try going to watch other struggling teams. We have witnessed some truly dire home performances this season yet the worst response the players have had to put up with has been silence then some fairly mild booing as they've gone off. The players aren't idiots, they must know their performances haven't been good enough.
jamiefrbees

Ok, a little exaggerated perhaps, but I'm just saying do not expect much joy from home games in the remainder of the season (yes ok we weren't expecting much anyway)
Barnet, Barnet, Barnet, because...we're staying up, and it's the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz the bondz that will keep us together...

JohnCarp

What a load of crap. When was the last time we played 1 up front at home and won the game?
jamiefrbees

So you believe the 4-4-2 in the second half with Taylor and McLeod running around saw us create more than the 4-5-1 in the first half?

Perhaps the spattering of coins from the Southend fans were blinding your vision.

JohnCarp

I notice you can't answer my question. The fact that we play 4-5-1 so much presumably means we also practice it in training, thereby inhibiting our chances of making 4-4-2, or any other more attacking formation, work more successfully.

I remember us having a lot of pointless unthreatening possession and not many shots in the first half, while Southend had 2 clear chances and 1 goal.
Spanker Ridley

Formations are irrelevant the players have shown that (in the main) they are not good enough.

If Kabba is not fit (and how often has he been fit this year ?) we do not have anyone else to play with McLeod.

I would love to know who scouted Taylor !
beeamazed

Baden Powell perhaps?
He really is a poor player ,makes Neil Midgeley look like Messi...
hobbitbee

Come on, Neil Midgley was so better than Messi. Now Frazer Toms he was about Messi's level.
jamiefrbees

Pointless, unthreatening possession?

Is that why even their boss had to admit we could have been one or two up in the first 20 minutes?
hmmm

Spanker Ridley

Did we even have one or two shots on target in the first 20 minutes ?

Come to that did we even have one or two shots on target in the whole game ?

Maybe their boss was watching a different game ?