Away Travel

Moderators: miguelito, petersperoni

HertsBee

Away Travel

I take a guess that the away travel lost quite a bit of money last season. Can I suggest that coaches leave from Greenhill Parade(Odeon/Queens Arms) and not the Hive. The reason for saying this is that although the club has moved, supporters haven't. I personally live in Potters Bar and can either drive to Barnet or even get a bus straight to the Odeon. Getting to the Hive by public transport is a nightmare, and to drive still takes about 20-30 minutes(depending on traffic). I know there is a pick-up service but this puts a lot longer on the day being picked up first, then going to the Hive before setting off for the away game. Also getting back after makes the day longer. Many fans in the past, used to get coaches from Barnet and there was never a problem. How many people actually live in the Harrow/Edgware area that use the coach compared to those that come from Potters Bar/Hatfield/Southgate/whetstone and surrounding areas. I can't see the need to go to the Hive, just to register. The easiest way is to have a designated travel organiser who goes on the coaches. Then all that needs to happen is for the club to take bookings say up to the Thursday night, then email the list to the organiser to check -off on the day, and some might even turn up on the day as happened in the past. I am sure not many just turned up at the Hive. Hopefully next season, more fans would want to travel and this would make it easier. I would definitely use the coach for travel if it's done like this, but not in it's present format. As a liaison group surely this is worth putting to TK, as there are far more positives than negatives, or even have a fans vote to see what they prefer. This is not a dig at going to the Hive,( I have now accepted this) just a suggestion to make things easier for supporters who want to travel.
petersperoni

Re: Away Travel

Hi Bee007. I personally have pressed for a change in the order of pick-up's for the last couple of seaons for them to mainly start at the Hive, for It makes no sense, especially when games are at venues east of Barnet to start from Potters Bar, go to the Hive and then go back again virtually going past Potters Bar Station again and the doing the same on the return jouney. It does make more sense though when games are west of The Hive to pick up from there last. Also when travelling north the distance to the away venues is almost the same whether leaving from the Hive or Potters Bar, so there's no advantage in choosing one or the other. I do feel though there would be more travelling on the coach if journies started from the Hive and reversed (with modifications) the route to pick-up from Potters Bar Station last and this was (again) put to the club last week who almost seem now prepared to try.

I think you'd be surprised though how many do go the the Hive to get the coach. As a rough guess I would estimate 50% of coach travellers do get the coach from there and as many turn up on the day as they do en route.

Another difficulty is if people do turn up on the day is actual tickets and collection and accounting for money collected if people turn up en route once the coach has left the Hive. This would all be down to the trustworthiness of the steward. I have been steward for the last two seasons and so hopefully I would be trusted but I haven't made every game. I think I've missed 4 away games in the last couple of seasons, all going by coach. so a trusted replacement would have to be found.

Also, and this would happen wherever the coach departed first, seats are allocated on a first come first served basis. The club's booking system does not allow for pre-booking of particular seats. Some people prefer particular seats but, in general, this hasn't presented too much of a problem.

Initially the idea was for people to go to the Hive, have some food and drink and go on from there. It happens to a degreee and reversing the timing would give travellers less time to do that but if it is at the expense of losing coach users a decision has to be made.

As for your other points, further information and feedback from a meeting with the Chairman is to all queries raised and submitted is currently being prepared and will be posted hopefully within the next couple of days. All coach travel was discussed in depth and will answer your remaining points.

Thanks for your input.
petersperoni

Following our meeting on Thursday please keep your eyes open on here in respect of away travel, which will need some very urgent response. It isn't ready yet but will be vry soon.
HertsBee

I was told yesterday that it is unlikely any coaches will be run by the club to away games this season. Also, the shuttle bus is to be scrapped. Is there any truth in this?
petersperoni

All I can honestly say is that as far as I'm aware the club are considering the financial viability of both. I've also been told by the person who organised the survey (but is now on holiday until sometime after the Millwall game), the club are in receipt of the survey results. Sorry I can't add more.