Underhill Memories

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
TWS

Re: Underhill Memories

For some reason I can remember a couple of the more silly events.
A home game against someone, I think either Mansfield or Halifax, in the late 90s around Christmas time. There were very few away fans in the temporary south stand when it was quite tall. One of them was off his face and spent a good few minutes leaping from row to row with police and stewards chasing him unsuccessfully. Way more entertaining than the football on the pitch. I think we lost 1-0 and Warren Hackett had a shocker.
I can also remember a game mid to late 90s against Hartlepool when one of their players got a nudge chasing a ball that was going out for a throw in on the half way line in front of the east terrace, I think from Sam Stockley. He was running completely off balance and ended up going head first between the rail and advertising board and ended up trapped in side the advertisement! That may have been the Mullery days so another thing more entertaining than the football on offer that day I think.
Not really sure why those 2 things stay in my memory?
letchbee94

TWS wrote:For some reason I can remember a couple of the more silly events.
A home game against someone, I think either Mansfield or Halifax, in the late 90s around Christmas time. There were very few away fans in the temporary south stand when it was quite tall. One of them was off his face and spent a good few minutes leaping from row to row with police and stewards chasing him unsuccessfully. Way more entertaining than the football on the pitch. I think we lost 1-0 and Warren Hackett had a shocker.
I can also remember a game mid to late 90s against Hartlepool when one of their players got a nudge chasing a ball that was going out for a throw in on the half way line in front of the east terrace, I think from Sam Stockley. He was running completely off balance and ended up going head first between the rail and advertising board and ended up trapped in side the advertisement! That may have been the Mullery days so another thing more entertaining than the football on offer that day I think.
Not really sure why those 2 things stay in my memory?
Haha oh blimey yeah now you mention that I remember something like that happening (I presume it was the game you on about)
amberforever

Yes, I remember watching the chasing fan farce from the NT. There were only a handfull of fans in the South, and at least 2 stewards chasing him! Looked very Key stone Cop-ish.I think the "outside seats" must have been in place then. Happy days. Cor, I miss the old south terrace standing days.
_ABeeSee_

Remember the time that Sean Devine scored the winner against Rotherham? It was a horrid day, and as he celebrated the goal he slid through the wet grass and chucked a handful of mud at the away fans. Very funny for us, not sure you'd get away with that thesedays!
We're gonna piss this tin pot league
ninestein

Who remembers one of the old floodlight pylons catching fire just before a Tuesday nightvgame against Walsall (92.93 season I think)? The fire engine had to come onto the pitch via the noth gates and it apparantly buggered up the drainage system!
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
neil1972

Amongst my many memories of the Port Vale game when we stayed up in 2011, does anyone else remember the first bloke who jumped on the pitch at the final whistle?

He leapt over the barrier onto the pitch where both his shoes fell off and he promptly fell on his face, pissed myself with laughter.....
hoppy

Now, I'm not a vindictive person. I am really quite a peace-loving chap.But one Underhill memory that stays with me was when that drunken idiot from Ilkeston climbed on to the roof of the covering that was behind the bottom goal and fell through it landing on the terraces below.Such was the awful violence and hooliganism of the Ilkeston "fans" that I really hoped that this idiot would never walk again. Sadly (God only knows how) he somehow got up and staggered off, no doubt to cause more mayhem. Our superb players somehow contrived to lose that FA Trophy game and if I remember correctly Ilkeston played Enfield in the following round and their "fans" caused as much havoc in that game as they did at Underhill.
warwick

hoppy wrote:Now, I'm not a vindictive person. I am really quite a peace-loving chap.But one Underhill memory that stays with me was when that drunken idiot from Ilkeston climbed on to the roof of the covering that was behind the bottom goal and fell through it landing on the terraces below.Such was the awful violence and hooliganism of the Ilkeston "fans" that I really hoped that this idiot would never walk again. Sadly (God only knows how) he somehow got up and staggered off, no doubt to cause more mayhem. Our superb players somehow contrived to lose that FA Trophy game and if I remember correctly Ilkeston played Enfield in the following round and their "fans" caused as much havoc in that game as they did at Underhill.
I seem to remember a home game vs Cardiff City in the mid to late 90s when they were trying to invade the pitch and having a go at our stewards. I think the police were involved. Or am I imagining it?
BeesKnees

Nope I remember that one. They kept the cardiff fans behind until we had all left.

One vivid memory I have that I'm begining to doubt was Gary Phillips coming out to catch the ball outside the area and the whole ET going silent. I think he just dropped the ball at his feet and carried on without the ref noticing
warwick

BarnetSteve wrote:Nope I remember that one. They kept the cardiff fans behind until we had all left.

One vivid memory I have that I'm begining to doubt was Gary Phillips coming out to catch the ball outside the area and the whole ET going silent. I think he just dropped the ball at his feet and carried on without the ref noticing
Thought so. My Gary Philllips memory is of the 1-nil win over Man City. Can still remember the near enough 90 minutes of nerves after Dougie scored.
rudebwoyben

BarnetSteve wrote:Nope I remember that one. They kept the cardiff fans behind until we had all left.

I remember a similar event happening in 91/92 but with Andy Pape in goal. The next time he got the ball, he put his fingers to his lips in a 'don't tell the ref' gesture! We were in well in control in that match against Scarborough; I think we were 3-0 up at the time and we won 5-1 in the end.
BeesKnees

rudebwoyben wrote:

I remember a similar event happening in 91/92 but with Andy Pape in goal. The next time he got the ball, he put his fingers to his lips in a 'don't tell the ref' gesture! We were in well in control in that match against Scarborough; I think we were 3-0 up at the time and we won 5-1 in the end.
That was it' I'd completely forgotten it was that game (Can't beleive I got the keeper wrong too). One of my mates who came to the game was a scarborough fan and I gave him grief all evening about the 9-1 score including the away game :)
nicksperoni

I've many memories of Underhill, from the running around the whole ground, changing ends at half time, the getting of the same signatures week in, week out on the back of the programmes.

Football wise, it was the first leg of the play-off against Shrewsbury in 2004/05 I think, a late winner or equaliser send the place into madness and me - as a 21 year old - jumping all over my dads back in celebration!

Am so going to miss being on top of the players and managers though - remember the 'interaction' with Paul Ince whilst he was at Macclesfield and trying to get Izale moving and him telling me to sssh! Still winds me up now, lazy bugger!
warwick

nicksperoni wrote:I've many memories of Underhill, from the running around the whole ground, changing ends at half time, the getting of the same signatures week in, week out on the back of the programmes.

Football wise, it was the first leg of the play-off against Shrewsbury in 2004/05 I think, a late winner or equaliser send the place into madness and me - as a 21 year old - jumping all over my dads back in celebration!

Am so going to miss being on top of the players and managers though - remember the 'interaction' with Paul Ince whilst he was at Macclesfield and trying to get Izale moving and him telling me to sssh! Still winds me up now, lazy bugger!
You used to play for Barnet Youth?
nicksperoni

I did for a season or 2 before defecting to another youth team formed in East Barnet